Long term use of Betahistine

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi group I have been on Betahistine now for just over a year. Has anyone been taking Betahistine for a relatively long time and if so have you tried to wean off them. Tried once and started M symptoms again. Probably have to take them forever. Hope not. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Maria, Ive been on 3x16mg for at least 5 years, as the attacks became less and less frequent, maybe 3 years ago I cut down to 1x16mg a day and all ok, last year I ditched the last 1 and a couple of weeks later had a minor spin but enough to make me think I had been to ambitious so I went back to the one a day, however I really believe that was a coincidence I just dont have the bottle to make the final leap again!, its no good asking your ENT consultant as they neither have the confidence to advise dropping them, thier approach is if it it aint broke dont fix it, so I would try cutting down very gently, but I have no idea what harm if any they cause over time, good luck

• Posted

I started with md about 7 years ago and was on Betahistine for it. After about 10 months I went into remission so eventually came off it until early last year when the symptoms came back. Now I’m on it again.
  • Posted

Hi Maria I have had MD for over 16 years and I have been on betahistine for a few years now and twice I have tried to wean myself off them second time on the advise of my GP but both times vertigo has returned so my Doctor said I had better carry on taking them as it won’t do me any harm. I am taking 16mg 3 times a day I still occasionally get balance problems but nothing I can’t cope with.I was in my late 50s when Iwas diagnosed but haven’t had a vertigo attack for about 2 years so I hope those bad days are behind me now but still haven’t the confidence yet to stop taking them but hope to some time in the future and hope you can too eventually.
  • Edited

Hi Maria. I’m currently on 24 x 3 until I stabilise as I’ve only had Meniere’s for 18 months. I’m under the care of a neurotologist in the hearing and balance clinic at a university hospital and I’ll cut down when he tells me. It’s a very safe drug with no side effects and at the moment life is totally normal for which I’m very grateful. I have no symptoms and if I have to take it for life then so be it. 
  • Edited

Hi Maria 

the postman just delivered my next appointment letter from the MD clinic for June which has impressed me with their efficiency. They will also write to my gp regarding my medication so no more guess work with this thank goodness. All the uncertainty was almost as stressful as a vertigo attack. When my gp told me to reduce the dose the symptoms returned after a couple of days. The advice from the neurotologist was simple - just live your life and be grateful that betahistine works for you. We’ll keep an eye on you. 

• Posted

Thankyou so much everyone for your input. Greatly appreciated. Will definitely stay on my dose   
  • Posted

Hi Maria. I’ve been on betahistine for almost a year, and I also take a diuretic. In my case, both of these drugs help manage the pressure build in my ear. I know there are natural supplements that can achieve this, but I have yet to try any. With supplements, you don’t have the double blind studies, but until the drug side effects become an issue I probably won’t try them on my own.
  • Posted

Hello Group I am recently diagnosed with Menieres and am on Betahistine which thank goodness is working for me. I’m currently taking 3x16mg a day but was wondering if anyone has tried half tablets with any success? I’m also wondering if any of you altered your diets to cut out salt and caffeine in particular or anything else that helped you with your symptoms. 
    • Posted

hi,

betahistine works for me. also salt and alcohol Zero! nada! low no sugar eating is boring but better than the s

alternative.

• Edited

Hello Maria and hello group, I am recently diagnosed with Menieres and thank goodness Betahistine is working for me. I was wondering if anyone has tried half tablets with any success? Also have any of you altered your diets especially in regards to salt and caffeine and noticed a difference in your symptoms? Thank you.
    • Edited

Rachael, 

i take batahistine, but I am also on a very strict diet. Salt below 1g, carbs around 50, sugar below  20g. I have found this through keeping a daily account of everything I eat, what my food triggers are, and my limits. The other tiggers I have to watch are sleep, and stress. I get plenty of exercise daily and I make sure to keep myself hydrated. Doing all these things has kept me from having the violent attacks. I still have the occasional dizzy spell but I can function in the world.  This is working for me. I also don’t drink caffeine, smoke or drink alcohol.  It may sound strike but I will take it over the violent, throw up, in bed for hours attack’s  I use to have. These are the things I can control. Remember, everyone has similar yet different triggers. I have also found that one trigger, usually does not cause a violent attack, it is a combination that gets me. Like, bad nights sleep, stressful day and eating too much sugar, salt etc. 

i hope this answered your question. 

Take good care, Jim

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Meniere's in 2013 by a neurotologist. He prescribed betahistine once daily along with a dieuretic. I actually got more relief from the dieuretic and it was only making me sleepy. He got agravated when I told him I was only taking it as needed and it works better if you take it every day. I told him I was already on 2500 mg. a day of seizure meds and I didn't need to add anything else to my system. I stopped taking it and over the years my symptons started to worsen due to neurological issues. I went to a different neurotologist who told me I had no symptoms of Meniere's, that I had migraine equivalent and sent me to a migraine doc, even though I don't have headaches. He told me I had overlapping symptoms. I finally through up my hands and went to an ENT that treats Meniere's, who told me that I have symptoms of Meniere's but it was actually my eustacian tubes. I have an inner ear disorder that cause my ears to fill with fluid. I finally went back on the betahistine in conjunction a drug called Meclizine and that seems to work pretty well along with some excersises I have that get the fluid moving out of my ear and that gets rig of my dizziness. All that said, I've been taking betahistine on and off since 2013 as needed and I've had no problems with it except drowsiness.

• Edited

Hey Maria,

I have been on 3x24mg betahistine since 2007. I tried to wean myself off of it and it caused my Meniere's to become bilateral. So my good ear became my bad ear 😦

I also tried to taper down to 16mg and it was a fail...

• Posted

been on them just over a year now. symptoms are slight so like you im thinking of reducing? But not sure so keen to follow thus chat.. thanks for asking the question

• Posted

hi was diagnosed october 2016 been on bethastine ever since,was upped to 32mg 3 x a day after months of vertigo attacks amd 3 months off work and ive had 2 dizzy spells which may 2017 and may 2020 nothing since,ive had odd bout of titinus but i can cope with that

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.