Long term use of corticoids to reduce BPH symptoms? Does anyone have experience

Posted , 9 users are following.

I got a shot of corticoid and seemed to had immediate relief os BPH symptoms.

Has anyone expience with longer term use? 

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been on Prednisone for 10 years and I still have symptoms of BPH. I do know that being on Prednisone can have a big impact on PSA testing. I read an article that said it can reduce PSA levels in some as much as 80%. I would imagine that depends on dose.
  • Posted

This is a very interesting discussion for me. I felt quite well one month after ly Green Laser and TURP and I begin to suspect they gave me cortocoides. I will be following you, guys. Right now I have inflammation in the prostate region. Would corticoides help?
    • Posted

Hi Z.

I want to reply since you addressed your question to me.  But I know about the same as you regarding corticoids.  If you read some of the other posts on this thread clearly folks like JimJames know alot more than me.

I got a shot of corticoids yesterday and my prostate area feels very calm now.  I promised to report tomorrow on how many times I get up tonight.

Last 2 nights were 5 miserable sleep interruptions with difficulty emptying my bladder.

Jeff

• Posted

Hi jjjj,

Just wanted to relate my experience with corticosteroids. I have been suffering from BPH for over 20 years. I've been on the usual drugs (alpha blockers; Avodart) over this period. While I can pee on my own I would say my IPSS score is in the high 20s.

A year and a half ago I had an asthma attack and was given prednisone tablets (50mg) for 5 days. After the 3rd day I noticed that all my BPH symptoms completely disappeared for several days. I stopped the prednisone at that time because of the dangers of taking these drugs for an extended time period. But I could pee like I did in my 20s for a week and my full sexual function returned too (I am 67 now).

This drug was truly the fountain of youth but after I researched it I learned that protracted use can lead to adrenal insufficiency which leads to cortisol production shut down and really bad side effects including death ( check out prednisone side effects).

Fast forward to this past summer when I was scheduled for a PAE at UNC with Dr. Isaacson in August. I went into acute retention in July and decided to take pieces of my remaining prednisone pills to get me through to the procedure. That worked great. Even a quarter of a pill lasted for a few days and restored my peeing function injust a few hours. My PAE was a failure. So rather than submit to surgeries which my uros wanted to do I have learned to intermittent self cathing (CIC) with the help of jimjames and others.

I did look into the longterm use of corticosteroids in some depth and found that health risks far outweigh the short term gain. Having said that many people are on low-dose steroids forever who have certain types of diseases. But the doses are in the 5mg range which would not help me and which still have long term risks that are not worth it for BPH.

Hope my experience helps you. Good luck.

Neil

• Posted

p.s. NSAIDs like ibuprofen had no beneficial effect for me - they work by a different mechanism than steroids.
  • Posted

I just had the Focal Laser Ablation procedure on the 19th of December. I had a script for a dose pack of Predisone which is a declining doseage of 4mg pills for 6 days. 6 pills the first day and declining one pill a day for each day. It was a miracle drug for the swollen postate I had after the procedure and it really helped all the symptoms very fast acting. 

They would not give me a second pack due to fear of the side effects. I really did not need it just wanted it to improve more and faster. But, I am now 25 days past and I am perfect now. Had sex twice this week with no blood no RE and no issues. All is much better than before the procedures. Peeing like I did at 40 years old. No waking up at night any more. The drug dose pack was really good though. 

• Posted

Awesome news John ! Yeh that Prednisone works wonders - I suppose after a while the effects would wear off and of course must be dangerous for long term use
    • Posted

J12 and others,

How fast does Predisone in pill form or as an injection work? I ask because while almost all of the time I am able to void normally with a low PVR, there are some instances when I go into acute retention on an individual void. While I haven't been able to figure out with certainty the cause, the trigger appears to be when bladder volumes are over 450-500 ml. In a case like this, I will just pull out a catheter, empty my bladder and then go back to normal. But as an alternative, wondering if taking a prednisone pill, or injection would work. Since we're talking acute retention, anything over an hour would be be unsatisfactory and within 20 minutes would be ideal.

Jim

• Posted

I was told by my doctor that steriod drugs will damage your immune system. He did not want me on but one dose and I did not want that side effect but did not need it anyway because as last Friday a week ago, all symptoms completely changed I now can go 4 to 5 hours without needing to urinate. the urgency feelings just stopped. My bladder retention has decrease and has improved daily over two weeks as my urinations increased in volume from 75cc to now 400 cc when I go and per event.

I had a prostate median lobe pushing up into the bladder at the base and he removed that tissue so the bladder came back down and flattened out thereby it stopped the urine pooling that was in my bladder before. Strangest improvement I had is the large increase of my ejaculation now and there is no blood in it which even the doctor expected I would have some blood.  I could not be happier with the result, I am in a little shock. We desire this type of improvement when we pay for a procedure but because of fear, I really did not expect this much improvement in so many areas and in 3 weeks. Best part is this Doctor can logically explain to me with a common sense explanation why this will now provide long term results and relief due to the way he did the procedure. 

Thanks, Mike

• Posted

No, My experience with the pill or the shot was not that fast. it was more like over night improvement.

If you have an 3T MRI it can and does usually show the cause of the acute retention issue. Also you can tell if you have suffered Tribeculation of the bladder wall. I was shown mine and the doctor diagramed the area he would remove and how it would effectively stop the retention. He was right. 

• Posted

J120,

I've had MRI's, urodynamics and have been scoped. I have an enlarged prostate, weak flow, high fill rates, trabeculated bladder, diverticulum and median lobe. Based on this, most docs will say that's why I have bladder function issues. What the tests won't tell them is why after two years of CIC my bladder now functions normally except for the very occasional episode of acute retention. One doc suggested video urodynamics, but I would have to duplicate the acute retention episode at the time of the test which may be out of my control.

Having a cath around seems like the best solution for now. Thought a pill in my pocket might be even better but sounds like it would work too slow.

Jim

• Posted

You sure found a wonderful doctor. Not many of them explain things in detail.

So it is just that you were reworded with those fantastic results 😊.

May I ask what your age is? ZD

• Posted

Yes he is unbelievable. I am soon 66. His support post op on this procedure was over the top. He had me keep a log daily on the amount of fluid I had taken in and the date and time and also urination out occurrences and the amount out in cc,s  and the date and time. Then he called me daily to discuss and help with post op questions. He called after he completed his day doing cancer procedures on patients. He would each afternoon driving home and he did this for two weeks. I would not have done as well without his support. He said he does this with most of his cancer patients as they need the emotional support and don't need to worry. So he is proactive in supporting them. 

Several men on this site have called him for advice and information and have all commented on the level of attention, interest and support he gives them. He is having a clinical trail that he is funding some of for this procedure on 10 BPH people and at least two people have contacted him and signed up from this web site. He wants to publish the results. 

If he does this it will help all of us because the procedure is the real deal. I could not be happier and I had a bad life with BPH for a long time. 

John

• Posted

, John, I am really happy for you! What a wonderful guy!!! I knew once a pediatrician like that (for my sons) and right now I have excellent cardiologists, but my uro is just correct. I am not in the US, I am in France. 

(not French, though). And I am 10 years older than you...

• Posted

Was the shot given intraprostatically, or was it intramuscular?  I only ask because Botox is (or was?) in clinical trials, and has shown promising results.  As for corticosteroids for BPH - AND IT'S JUST MY GUESS - they should perhaps be given only in crises situations, if then.  Keep educating yourself, and keep talking to the guys on this forum.  Best of luck, jjjj57989

• Posted

Thanks.

I got the shot in my butt.

I got the shot and started Tamsulosina a week ago.  No change yet.

• Posted

Alan,

Is anyone here having botox injections or are you just referring to the trials? A couple of years ago I contacted one of the trial doctors but he wanted a lot of money for the injection. Plus when I asked his nurse for references she said I would be the first in his private practice. smile 

Jim

• Posted

I don't think they can give a person botox like that. It has to be a local and in tissues that keep it in that location. If it gets into the blood it can kill a person. I have never hear of it for Prostate issues. They use it to paralyze muscles for a short period. Mainly for wrinkles in the face. I doubt it would shrink the prostate. It could be Betamethasone and that is a steroid that will reduce inflammation. Steroids like Prednisone have been shown to reduse PSA levels by as much as 80% in some. That would suggest that it is reducing the size of the prostate for a short time.

• Posted

Craig,

No, it's Botox injections directly into the prostate. No significant side effects. It's still being done although not in the mainstream. Apparently relief is only for a year or so but better than daily pills if it works.

From "harvard prostate knowledge dot org" (no spaces between the quotes) :

"...One relatively recent study of Botox included 41 men whose symptoms of BPH persisted despite taking medication. None of the men experienced significant side effects after a Botox injection, and symptoms and quality of life improved by more than 30% in three-fourths of the participants. The improvements lasted for a year..."

Jim

• Posted

I just came across a 2015 study that suggested some of the previous botox study results may have been due to the placebo effect, which seems a little odd to me, but that aside I really just wanted to make the point that botox injections into the prostate have been tried with no signficant side effects. Hopefully, there will be more research into similar minimially invasive treatments for bph. I think a lot of us here would welcome a single injection into the prostate if it gave us a year's symptomatic relief.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.