Long term use of Losartan

Posted , 31 users are following.

I have been taking Losartan since 1996.

During that time I have noticed several changes in my health but until now I did not even consider that they may be side effects of the drug.

I will list my symptoms and I would appreciate anyone's views or similar experiences whilst taking this drug.

(I have asked my GP but he puts everything down to age!!. I was 51 when I started taking them,

I'm 68 now)

Symptoms

Anxious feelings like feeling a bit scared all the time.

Burning sensation in lower legs when laid down in bed.

Cramp in legs and feet.

Skin blotchy.and a bit purple in colour. A bit like when you have sat in front of a fire too long.

This started in my legs but now covers most of my body.

Breathlessness and a wheezy cough.

Any helpful comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

pam

4 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Pam I started taking Losartan a few months ago. I sometimes get that "feeling a bit lost" feeling, have been feeling very down to the point I could cry. Don't know if the tablets are causing this or not. I'm afraid to try anything else as I got rid of the terrible cough from Ramipril which I had for about ten years. No cramp or anything like that in my legs though or burning.

• Posted

I have been on Losartan around six months, I feel like I want to cry at times and feeling a bit down. 
  • Posted

I was on Losartan 100mg  for about 3 months and I started to experience difficulty walking. I take the grandchildren to school and am 78 I ended up using a walking stick and couldn't walk without feeling pain in hips and knees I spoke to my GP and he reduced the dose to 25 and another Amlodipine. The pain went away within a week and now I am experiencing constant cold symptoms which I put down to hay fever but now I shall be visiting the GP again for something different.

• Edited

Hi! I was given the okay to stop my Losartan about six days ago. My light headedness and dizziness have disappeared. I am morbidly obese and have going to the gym religiously before work Monday-Friday, and so far my pressure is doing great! Oh, yeah, I mainly eat meat once a day and I’m doing intermittent fasting. My body seems to love it! Hope this helps......All blood pressure pills seem to have nasty side effects. Take them until you get control of the situation! And trust me, you CAN gain control!
    • Posted

Hi javar im glad that your dr remive your bp meds. What are you taking now? Natural meds and diet? What is the side effect when you stop taking losartan? Did you wean off or just stop taking it?
    • Edited

Hi Anthony. I am not taking any medication anymore. I just eat better, workout for an hour before work, and have significantly reduced meat consumption. Losing weight has been a wonderful help to my blood pressure. Hope this helps. 
    • Edited

Nice to hear that javar any natural meds that you are taking now like garlic or banana? Im on my way for diet now eating too much meat more on vegies and fruits only.
  • Posted

Hello Pam, I have read your post and some of the other comments.  I could write a book about BP meds have been on most of them. Im taking Losartan at the moment did great at first and got my BP down to 110/60.  Now its high again.  I have had dizziness, cordination problems on my right side. This is a  just a short list have had other problems , too. 

I had double vision in Jan, took med for Flu, BP, med. I went to sleep and woke up with double vision.  The only other thing I was taking from time to time was some xanax.  It has now finally gone away and I see great again.  I know either one or the combo of both did this.  It took about 3 months. If you look up side effects everyone of BP meds most say can cause double vision or blurry vision. Losartan is a ARB and works on your brain and it along with many others has major side effects. They all do some not has bad but they all do if not now then wait and they will happen. I have been a list a mile long.  Still taking Losartan but a low dose and playing tennis , biking, gym almost every day. I may go to a Hypertension Center to see if my kidneys are causing it. Im just tired of doctors but I read that the Hypertension Centers can help quite a bit. Anyway,  if anyone suspects that a drug is giving them problems then its a good chance it is. So Im doing what I can to take as little and enjoy life.  Enjoy life and each day as its a gift .Good Luck!  

• Posted

yes, it sometimes takes a while for the med to do this.  See your doctor - it could have affected your immune system , white blood cells.
  • Posted

I think these are all symptoms of anxiety and not the drug.

• Posted

Nope. Losartan does cause anxiety if you have never had it, and greatly increases anxiety if you had it before starting treatment. It is well known, documented and even listed as a side effect. For me Losartan is a nightmare even at a low dose. 2 years on it. 64 yr old female. This drug has caused me....back pain, leg pain and cramps, post nasal drip(continually for 2 years), hair loss, anxiety, depression, weight gain, tinnitus, GERD, weakness, lack of energy , vision changes, diarrhea, heat intolerance, bloating, insomnia and no change in blood pressure. I called my doctor and told him I am not taking it anymore. My blood pressure was fine to start with 120-130s over 80s. I did half a dose for a week and then stopped completely. Within 4 days I have more energy than I have had for 2 years. I sleep better. Leg pain gone. Back pain almost gone. Depression gone. Anxiety almost gone. I can't wait to see my weight get back to normal and my hair to grow again. I am encouraged by so many who have stated that their hair loss reversed after about 6 months of stopping. Every time I tried to talk to my doc about side effects he just dismissed me or said losartan doesn't do that. Well it does. It is documented. Docs just go by what the company inserts or reps (i equate drug reps with used car salesmen) tell them. When you have side effects it is important to report to the FDA and make your doctor hear you. You know your body better than they do. For some people this is a very helpful and even necessary drug. For others it is not even needed and it can have horrible side effects.

• Posted

Also, post nasal drip stopped 3 days after I stopped taking it. Imagine 2 years of post nasal drip, which also contributed to a cough and heartburn and then...magically gone....

• Edited

I have been using Losartan for a little while now and have developed an irregular heartbeat. My heart regularly throws PAC's and PVC's also know as the feeling of a skipped beat. I have been evaluated and worn a heart monitor and the cardiologist believes there is nothing to worry about. But I'm curious, it's anyone else experiencing anything like this while taking Losartan?

• Edited

I stayed for3 days in er with a monitor,and dr. told me that the pvcs were benign,not to worry ,ruled out underline heart problem cause .I researched for hours and finally a suggestion said low magnesium levels could cause pvc.so I took some for 2 days and they went away. Hope it works for you

• Posted

I'm taking Losartan 100 mgs and for the past month have developed irregular heartbeat/ palpitations. At first, I thought it might be a sign of overdoing exercise as they're really noticeable after a walk. I also suffer chronic fatigue/ME and was beginning to blame that. Having read your post, now I'm not so sure. Have your palpitations reduced? Have you aborted meds or changed them?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.