Long term use of Losartan

Posted , 31 users are following.

I have been taking Losartan since 1996.

During that time I have noticed several changes in my health but until now I did not even consider that they may be side effects of the drug.

I will list my symptoms and I would appreciate anyone's views or similar experiences whilst taking this drug.

(I have asked my GP but he puts everything down to age!!. I was 51 when I started taking them,

I'm 68 now)

Symptoms

Anxious feelings like feeling a bit scared all the time.

Burning sensation in lower legs when laid down in bed.

Cramp in legs and feet.

Skin blotchy.and a bit purple in colour. A bit like when you have sat in front of a fire too long.

This started in my legs but now covers most of my body.

Breathlessness and a wheezy cough.

Any helpful comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

pam

4 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can share ,I had a dry cough ,couldn't sleep,dr.took me off losartan and hctz .and an inhaler ,it's better

• Posted

I've been on Losartan for several years. I have significantly cut back my dose. I personally think standard doses are too high for many people. I have noticed stubborn belly-fat gain which is amplified by my fluid intake throughout the day. Bloat by bedtime. Shrink by noon with routine bowel movements. (TMI?) I have also noticed some blue mood effect. I am taking a minimal dose and may go off since my hour of meditation every day seems to have lowered my baseline pressure considerably. I wouldn't do this unless I was monitoring my pressure. I have a slow clotting time naturally, so am less concerned about embolisms. I am a vegetarian with low-sodium diet naturally.

• Posted

I am 72 and been on Losartan for just over 1 year. Now on 75mg.

I get breathlessness. Legs get hot.

Heart flutters. Tingling.Most of symptoms you mention.A nxiousness

esp.in evening.

• Posted

I have been on Losartan forover 18 years. Like you I have some side effects like anxiety, a skin rash on lower legs and ankles. I am 73 and am wondering if I should be on a beta blocker instead of Losartan. It is frustrating, because beta blockers can make you tired and lathargic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.