Long term use of Zopiclone

Posted , 27 users are following.

I realise that nowadays, GP`s aren`t keen on prescribing the \"Z\" drugs, however I started taking Zopiclone in 1994, and to be honest, I still find them the most useful sleeping tablet, even after 17 years. The others Zolpidem and Zaleplon did not work at all for me.

Back when I was initially prescribed them the dose was 15mg and that`s what I take to this day. When I started my journey I was totally messed up, in many ways, and I was lucky to find myself under the care of a Consultant Psychciatrist that wasn`t afraid to prescribe \"unfashionable\" medications, hence my still being on them.

Initially, I was going through divorce, redundancy, bankruptcy, suicidal, self harming... etc. etc., and the main cause for this was my poly drug abuse, and alcoholism, and the problems with Family, ex, friends, health this caused.

To cut a long story short, all this caused a Heart attack when I was 37 years old, and this was the \"prompt\" that finally caused me to grow up.

I`ll restrict this to Zopiclone, as I think this drug is getting a bad press, and although some of it is deserved, I think that if taken properly, it remains an effective way to get some sleep.

From my experience, 15mg is the maximum effective dose, taking more will not make you sleep anymore or get to sleep any quicker, infact in my case taking over 15mg is counter-productive, and can be dangerous.

Basically I had to learn (and it took a long time) not to expect \"knock-out drops\", I find it is best to take them, and within 1/2hr be prepared to sleep. That is in bed, comfortable, dark, and quiet (if all these things can be managed that is). I don`t expect any extreme feelings of drowsiness, etc. in fact I usually cannot remember falling asleep, and often cannot remember dreaming, usually it seems that I close my eyes, and that`s it, it`s morning!. I also found that although many people find the amnesia that sometimes occurs can worry people, my way of looking at it is \"well that`s 33% of my problem solved\", as I`m sure everyone will know, there`s nothing worse than insomnia when you`re Depressed, anxious or worried, or in pain or whatever is keeping you awake 24hrs a day.

Everyone is different, and I see that many people find that Zopiclone is not for them, for many reasons.

If taken as prescribed, I haven`t found anything more effective than Zopiclone for Insomnia.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers Egggbert

6 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I also have the worst time due to taking Zopiclone long term,but find that without taking it at all I get the worst withdrawal symptoms with hallucinations,palpitations and nightmares.

Doctors give such conflicting advice,a cardiologist told me to increase the dose by 3.75. My usual prescription is7.50.My GP tells me to decrease the dose to 3.75 each night,another says one night on and one night off

the 7.50 dose.The bottom line is that they just DON'T know or realize the true damage these pills cause.

I wish I had an answer for you and also for myself,but all I know is that I want to get a good night's normal

sleep which has eluded me since 2000,probably longer.

I am much too scared to take other pills for fear of bad side effects.It does not help that I am alone and have no family support.

• Posted

I break up the pills with my pill slicer. I take one 5mg and half of another. Tonight I will try to take less. 6 1/3 hours yes isnt that bad, but I am someone who needs much much more and I didnt really sleep for three weeks so I need to catch up badly.

Wendl, I am sorry to hear you have no family support. Have you talked to a psychologist? I am starting yoga classes today and I am hoping it will help with everything. I suggest you try it to! Its been around for so long, theres no way it will hurt.

• Posted

I'm fearing this "one night on, one night off" thing is something my doctor will want me to try, having told her that the 3.75's don't do anything for me. Anyone new to the drug and just taking it for the odd night will probably find that the next night after the one they took it they will feel a little hyped up and find it rather more difficult to fall asleep than usual, so ... ?

Recently I read of taking diazepam (Valium) to come off Zopiclone. Having read before that it's as addictive as some of the hard street drugs, I was a little surprised.

For myself, I'm quite sure I'd leave Zopiclone in the medicine chest any time I didn't need it.

• Posted

Was also told to try Diazepam instead of Zopiclone.Felt dreadful,that is whyI don't want to try other pills for

fear of bad reactions.

• Posted

But what bad reactions do you guys have to Zopiclone? So far, I don't THINK I have any... and I've been taking it for 1 month or 1 month and a half, every night!
  • Posted

For many people the worst was the metal taste as described above, which if you are having trouble sleeping is nothing.

Times past, I think the concern with Zopiclone was that it was psychologically addictive rather than pharmacologically and if you wanted to take it for more than 28 days it was because you had another underlying condition causing the trouble. It was also thought it became ineffective after a month or two.

Now there's concern about cancer, whether the neurotransmitter receptors it attaches to are damaged, whether the body produces more receptors to offset the effect of Zopiclone and whether that causes problems. There's also some association of accidents with it for people under certain circumstances.

• Posted

Ok! Thanks a lot smile II feel it is psychologically addictive... The thought scares me of trying to sleep without taking Zopiclone :S
  • Posted

Without going into too much detail, I speak from both a personal and professional stand point. I am currently detoxing after a 10 year addiction to zopiclone. It is both psychologically and physically addictive. I experienced a siezure when I stopped taking them suddenly some years ago.

If there is an underlying mental health condition, zopiclone is particularly dangerous.

There is a reason why Drs will only prescribe for a few days now and why they are no longer 'over the counter' drugs in Spain for example.

Sleep depravation is awful and that is what led me to such a damaging addiction. I have no answer but would urge people to use with caution as the devastation this drug has had on my life could never be put into words.

• Posted

i took zopoclone nearly everyday for five years. i got up to 15mg and it eventually stopped working for me. like totally useless. so i stopped takingt it and have been sleeping without for the most part. okay i do take zolpidem when needed, but for the most part am off the sleeping pills. i have my bad times because sometimes i dont sleep at all for a couple of days. what ive found is you wont die from lack of sleep and will become so exhausted that you will sleep anyway. these pills dont work forever and some point you have to face the problem
  • Posted

Agreed ^
  • Posted

The trouble is though, is it not, that for some people, notably PTSD sufferers with residual insomnia and those with primary insomnia, medication is the only way they have of getting enough sleep.

It would seem at this time that the only sure medication is one that opens Cl- channels on the GABA A receptor – melatonin related medication won't cut it and it doesn't look as if orexin related medication will either.

I note (with some disappointment) that developments to bind to more specific points on the GABA A benzodiazepine receptor are in the anxiolytic direction rather than a sleep inducing one.

Actually, you can die from lack of sleep – they've used mice to prove it. Poor mice.

• Posted

The moderators seem to have decided against allowing my post with a link to a talk on sleep by an American Associate Professor.

Possibly the main point in it I wanted to put here was that people getting only 5 hours sleep a night for five nights in a row may already be prediabetic.

"... cumulative long-term effects of sleep loss and sleep disorders have been associated with a wide range of deleterious health consequences including an increased risk of hypertension, diabetes, obesity, depression, heart attack, and stroke." — Sleep Disorders and Sleep Deprivation: An Unmet Public Health Problem." Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Sleep Medicine and Research; Colten HR, Altevogt BM, editors.

• Posted

hi Eggbert, i am interested in your taking of zopiclone for 17 years. do you take the pill everynight, or is it just occasional use. i take it everynight and although it doesnt really work as a sleeping pill, it does relax me enough to sleep. i find i get a mild hypnotic effect after about an hour of taking the drug. i take 7.5mg. i would really like to get off it all together, but i have to get off the additional 20mg of ambien that i also take often. i just strted a new job six weeks ago, and i have been very heavily dependent on pills ever since. ive been taking zopiclone since january 2008, its now May 2014, so thats over six years. but i do find the pill alot weaker now. have you experienced similar tolerance issues.  Mike
    • Posted

Hi Mikey, sorry, couldn`t remeber my password as egggbert, but I am the same peron.

I have taken it almost everynight since it was firs prescribed always at 15mg, apart from the very few occasions when I have run out and forgot to put in a script early enough. Personally, it never had the effect of making me drowsy, so basically I take it, about 45mins later I`m asleep and stay asleep until I wake up (usually 4-6  hours), this has never changed for me, so either I`m getting to sleep on some sort of placebo effect (as long as I get to sleep I don`t really care about the mechanics of it), or it is still working as it always has. On the few days I have not taken it, apart from not sleeping, there were no withdrawal effects to talk about, then I was only a couple of days without it!.

I`m not sure that mixing it with Ambien (called Zolpidem here in UK) is a good idea though, and as I can`t see any sane doctor prescribing them together, I`m guessing you are getting one or the other off the net (or elsewhere). one thing I have learned though is that increasing the dosage of Zopiclone doesn`t make you sleep any better or get to sleep any quicker.

I would seriously consider getting some professional help with withdrawing from that combination, as I`m sure that there will be withdrawals somewhere along the line.

BTW I do find that the Generic Zopiclone you get today isn`t quite as good as the original stuff (Zimovane), but still works ok.

Take care

Paddy

• Posted

hi zaphod, thanks for the reply. iam trying to get off the zolpidem, but at the moment it gives that extra kick when im stressed, though its losing its effectiveness. i found exactly the same thing with zopoclone. you dont get any more effect if you take more than 15mg. what i get from the 7.5mg is a very mild halucigenic effect that calms me down and allows me to relax to sleep. i am sticking to 7.5mg though. and yes ive been buying my meds online, as no doctor will continuously prescribe sleeping pills. one day i hope to get off them completely, but it will be really difficult. i just bought some generic zopoclone online, and i think your right, they are slightly less effective than the brand ones
    • Posted

Just to be clear, I do get my Zopiclone from my GP, they were originally prescribed by a Psychiatrist at 15mg a night (that`s what the dose was then), and I`ve got them from my GP ever since the Psychiatrist retired, my GP does put "take 1 or 2 at night", but he/she isn`t daft.

I think I have got away with getting a script for them for so many years is whatever the Psychiatrist told the GP when he handed me over. Mainly, if I don`t get any sleep for more than a couple of day`s I have been known to "fall off the wagon", quite spectaculary, the last time (some years ago), I went on a £1500 Vodka binge, and ended up with a broken face (through falling down the stairs) and a broken bank balance! So I think that Zopiclone is the lesser of two evils.

Certainly cheaper.

All the best

Paddy

• Posted

Yes I am .about 20 yeas now.went in hospital 2yrs ago for 10days.and was not allowed  them.all I did was drink water all night.never slept.till I got back home.and back on them.and I still take 15 mg a night.my nightmare is steroid problems "which gave me ostioparosis that has crumbled my bones.but  I do get a good nights  sleep.hope I"ve helped  someone cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.