Long term use of Zopiclone

Posted , 27 users are following.

I realise that nowadays, GP`s aren`t keen on prescribing the \"Z\" drugs, however I started taking Zopiclone in 1994, and to be honest, I still find them the most useful sleeping tablet, even after 17 years. The others Zolpidem and Zaleplon did not work at all for me.

Back when I was initially prescribed them the dose was 15mg and that`s what I take to this day. When I started my journey I was totally messed up, in many ways, and I was lucky to find myself under the care of a Consultant Psychciatrist that wasn`t afraid to prescribe \"unfashionable\" medications, hence my still being on them.

Initially, I was going through divorce, redundancy, bankruptcy, suicidal, self harming... etc. etc., and the main cause for this was my poly drug abuse, and alcoholism, and the problems with Family, ex, friends, health this caused.

To cut a long story short, all this caused a Heart attack when I was 37 years old, and this was the \"prompt\" that finally caused me to grow up.

I`ll restrict this to Zopiclone, as I think this drug is getting a bad press, and although some of it is deserved, I think that if taken properly, it remains an effective way to get some sleep.

From my experience, 15mg is the maximum effective dose, taking more will not make you sleep anymore or get to sleep any quicker, infact in my case taking over 15mg is counter-productive, and can be dangerous.

Basically I had to learn (and it took a long time) not to expect \"knock-out drops\", I find it is best to take them, and within 1/2hr be prepared to sleep. That is in bed, comfortable, dark, and quiet (if all these things can be managed that is). I don`t expect any extreme feelings of drowsiness, etc. in fact I usually cannot remember falling asleep, and often cannot remember dreaming, usually it seems that I close my eyes, and that`s it, it`s morning!. I also found that although many people find the amnesia that sometimes occurs can worry people, my way of looking at it is \"well that`s 33% of my problem solved\", as I`m sure everyone will know, there`s nothing worse than insomnia when you`re Depressed, anxious or worried, or in pain or whatever is keeping you awake 24hrs a day.

Everyone is different, and I see that many people find that Zopiclone is not for them, for many reasons.

If taken as prescribed, I haven`t found anything more effective than Zopiclone for Insomnia.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers Egggbert

6 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I totally agree w the you. I"m still on 15mg a night.but as you say .you need to go to bed  30mins after taking them.if not you're evading the object.cheers
    • Posted

I totally concur, although I have known people who take them throughout the day (even when they`ve just woken up) I don`t know what it is doing for them?

I have only once taken Zopiclone for reasons other than sleep, and that was half a tablet (3.75mg) taken to hold back the DT`s in my drinking days, long ago. When I once found myself sans alcohol (or Librium) at 4am, terrible time :-(

All the best

Paddy

• Posted

Yeah, I took them for DT's, many times in fact. I also took them whenever I felt a bit nervous too. I was prescribed them for 12 years (2 x 7.5mg per day) I would take them long brfore my next script was due! So I thought changing doctors would get me more, it did for a while, but they found out in the end and took me off them. I then took to buying them off the internet, 250 at a time and got myself into a right state. now I am off them, but do miss them. I was lucky to avoid a police visit for smuggling them. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
    • Posted

You shouldn't get a police visit for possessing them, only for supplying them:

"Legal status

Zopiclone is not classified under the Misuse of Drugs Act, and so is legal to possess or use without a prescription. However, zopiclone is a prescription only medicine (POM) under the 1968 Medicines Act, and so supply is legally restricted to doctors (prescribing) and pharmacists dispensing). Zolpidem (Stilnoct) is the only ‘Z-drug’ covered by the Misuse of Drugs Act - it was made a Class C drug in 2003."

Addiction Eductaion

that is unless the likes of Professor Les Iversen (letter to Minister for Crime Prevention, Jeremy Browne MP) get their way.

• Posted

Can`t understand why Zolpidem is a class C drug, they never did anything for me. Same goes for Temazepam, which is also a big no no nowadays. Also I`m told Lyrica (which my doctor has tried to get me to take no end of times), is also a drug of abuse, aparently!!

some folks eh?

Paddy

• Posted

I think another reason, I`ve managed to keep my script for all the "frowned upon" sleepers, benzos, morphine etc., is because as I was prescribed them I told the Doctor I wanted them on a weekly script, bit of a pain, but I never run out and if I did it would be for 1 or 2 days, that I can live through (just about), not the weeks I would spend frantically searching the net for withdrawal help when I got them Monthly.

I didn`t ever find anything that really works for any type of withdrawal,(short of  paying a couple of grand for a nurse to come and give you a couple of librium 3 times a day) but there you go!

Paddy

• Posted

I know in the UK that importing them, (even your own use) without a prescription is a crime! and I was told that I was breaking the law.
    • Posted

Whatever Zolpidem is classed as, it increases the risk of heart attacks according to an article in the Daily Mail in January this year. I had them once, work almost as well (pehaps just as well) as Zopiclone but seem to leave me feeling very slightly "fuzzy". Zopiclone seems slightly more "sharper" acting for me.

Nitrazepam no longer works for me at the standard dose (25mg ?) and I jaundiced myself with it during one particularly stressful time, so knowing it not to be a particularly "clean" drug I'm not over keen on it. I can really understand the addiction danger though; even if it doesn't get you to sleep it leaves you beautifully relaxed, almost like being lulled in a hammock – the only thing is when it wears off you're left facing a day having had no sleep.

• Posted

I think you may need to check your information. From what I read it's only illegal to supply them. If you were to ask someone going abroad to buy some and bring them back for you, they would be breaking the law giving them to you; if you went with them and brought some back, you wouldn't be (currently).
    • Posted

I was buying them in (BULK) from an overseas supplier and that is against the law. Many people have been arrested for importing tablets from online pharmacies and I was told that if I didn't stop, then I would be arrested.
    • Posted

Perhaps they thought the quantity was such that you were supplying others with them. Buying drugs listed under the Misuse of Drugs Act, even from abroad from online pharmacies, would generally be illegal, of course. But if you're trying to obtain drugs you need to live, you should have a defence under pretty well any human rights legislation you care to mention. If they're trying to stop you getting them in the first place though ...
    • Posted

I think you have just answered my point...Are they to help me live? Or just to help me cope with a shit life? If I am importing them to abuse, then I of course am going against any GP's advice and am commiting an offence.
    • Posted

The standard dose of Nitrazepam (according to BNF is 5-10mg), I know that if you take a large dose of any sedative it will get you into a "good nod" or whatever the term is nowadays.

I only use tablets as prescribed, there have been a few sleepless nights when I`ve been tempted to take more than prescribed, but that has to be payed for (by running short) later.

I`ve never bought any Meds over the net, more because I`m worried about the ingredients in "Zopiclon, or Imovane" that you see on the net, and I don`t want to buy a box full of chalk tablets for many pounds, not to mention the chance of being scammed and or arrested!.

Stay safe

Paddy

• Posted

Pay more than about £1.20 for 28 Zopiclone and you are being scammed.

All one really wants is to know that you can go the doctor and get the best advice and correct prescription. But if you know your doctor is being pressured from above in his/her own profession with instructions that are not suitable for everyone, then the situation is worrying – which does nothing for insomnia.

• Posted

I think I get your drift Robert, my GP has definately been prescribing the cheapest generic drugs for the last couple of years, for example, I was on MST for years, then at one annual medicines review my GP changed this to Zomorph Capsules, as they are about half the price (net), the trouble was 10mg capsules of Zomorph have about the equivelent of 12 grains of sand in a capsule, as the rest was air they were very difficult for me to swallow, so I suggested Filnarine Tablets, which are the same size and shape as MST, but about 1p per tablet cheaper, my doctor was over the moon, that I had saved the NHS around £2 a year. Trouble is, none are as good as MST, which I was stable on for years before the NHS became cost concious to a (sometimes) excessive degree!

All the best

Paddy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.