Long term use of Zopiclone

Posted , 27 users are following.

I realise that nowadays, GP`s aren`t keen on prescribing the \"Z\" drugs, however I started taking Zopiclone in 1994, and to be honest, I still find them the most useful sleeping tablet, even after 17 years. The others Zolpidem and Zaleplon did not work at all for me.

Back when I was initially prescribed them the dose was 15mg and that`s what I take to this day. When I started my journey I was totally messed up, in many ways, and I was lucky to find myself under the care of a Consultant Psychciatrist that wasn`t afraid to prescribe \"unfashionable\" medications, hence my still being on them.

Initially, I was going through divorce, redundancy, bankruptcy, suicidal, self harming... etc. etc., and the main cause for this was my poly drug abuse, and alcoholism, and the problems with Family, ex, friends, health this caused.

To cut a long story short, all this caused a Heart attack when I was 37 years old, and this was the \"prompt\" that finally caused me to grow up.

I`ll restrict this to Zopiclone, as I think this drug is getting a bad press, and although some of it is deserved, I think that if taken properly, it remains an effective way to get some sleep.

From my experience, 15mg is the maximum effective dose, taking more will not make you sleep anymore or get to sleep any quicker, infact in my case taking over 15mg is counter-productive, and can be dangerous.

Basically I had to learn (and it took a long time) not to expect \"knock-out drops\", I find it is best to take them, and within 1/2hr be prepared to sleep. That is in bed, comfortable, dark, and quiet (if all these things can be managed that is). I don`t expect any extreme feelings of drowsiness, etc. in fact I usually cannot remember falling asleep, and often cannot remember dreaming, usually it seems that I close my eyes, and that`s it, it`s morning!. I also found that although many people find the amnesia that sometimes occurs can worry people, my way of looking at it is \"well that`s 33% of my problem solved\", as I`m sure everyone will know, there`s nothing worse than insomnia when you`re Depressed, anxious or worried, or in pain or whatever is keeping you awake 24hrs a day.

Everyone is different, and I see that many people find that Zopiclone is not for them, for many reasons.

If taken as prescribed, I haven`t found anything more effective than Zopiclone for Insomnia.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers Egggbert

6 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Egggbert, I know you chnaged your profile on here... Wondering how you're getting on? Are you on 7.5mg now? I'm back up to 15 sad

• Posted

Hi daniel, yes I`m still taking 7.5mg of Zopiclone, with 5mg of Diazepam at night. I`ve found this combination has worked fine for me for a couple of years now. I think the chance of getting a normal Doctor (Cosultant Psychiatrists are a different matter), prescibing 15mg of Zopiclone in the UK are pretty remote.

All the best

Paddy

• Posted

I don`t know about anyone else, but I get the impression that there is a cocerted effort by, GPs/The NHS/The Goverment (take your pick!), to withdraw any type of drug that is actually Helpful to people with all types of "mental Health Isssues", and to replace them with alsorts of antipychotics, antihistamines etc etc, in the hope that a side effect "MAY" be helpful, just my thoughts on the issue.

Paddy

• Posted

Totally agree. They tried to swap me ro Lyrica (Pregablin) which is used for epileptic seizuires and neuropathic pain! I mean WHAT!? Horrible stuff had me in hospital collapsed septic and with pneumonia and 2 infections. Theres even a Facebook page for Lyrica Survivors! Now that's gotta mean it isn't a great drug when theres a survivors group!!!

• Posted

Yea to get 15 you'd have to buy extra from somewhere, streets or Internet. Doctors would almost never prescribe 15 here in the UK! You're lucky to get a long term prescription for 7.5 or Diaxepam unless you're withdrawing from heroine or some such other drug.

They generally only give a maximum of two weeks supply.

• Posted

I know mate, they tried to give me Lyrica for pain control, it didn`t help the pain at all, but did make my vision blurred, and made me dizzy, hence I couldn`t drive, aswell as from being in constant pain.

Ended up back on Morphine for the pain, a drug that has been used as a analgesic for over 100 years!

Paddy

• Posted

I understand your problem, but as I`ve been taking both (and Morphine) for close on 20 years, they`re (so far) ok prescribing these for me, as long as I don`t abuse them in anyway or ask for more, more than very couple of years.

Paddy

• Posted

I meant to type every couple of years, flippin` arthitic fingers!

Paddy

• Posted

Haha

Yes I'm on slow release morphine tablets 40mg twice daily and 10ml Oramorph 4 times daily as a top up!

The zopicline and diazepam I have to acquire from a friend whose prescribed it but doesn't use it, although they are trying to cut him down. Costs me a tenner a week for 7 x 7.5 zopicline and 21 x 10mg diazepam. We'll worth it as it's the only way I sleep! And Id be scared to order online not knowing what I was getting. It's a great price anyway as each zopicline and diazepam normally foes for a quid each. Lol. 😉 😉

• Posted

Yep terrible stuff really is. I know people who have committed suicide because of the thoughts it gave them after long term use. Terrible.
    • Posted

Although I cannot condone what you`re doing, it doesn`t seem like your mate is ripping you off.

I`ve been lucky, in that I`ve been with the same GP for c20 years, and he`s (so far) happy to prescibe me both Diazeam & Zopiclone on a regular (weekly) basis. But I do understand what you are doing and why. Prolonged insomnia/Anxiey are (in my opinion) mu ch more harmful than being addicted to a legal medication.

Paddy

• Posted

BTW, I won`t say how much Morphine I now take, as you probably wouldn`t believe me! :-)

Paddy

• Posted

Oh I probably would. Lol. Been tempted many a time to take more but that leaves me short. If it stops working at this level I'm sure my doctor will increase it. I'm trying not to though as it does what it needs to at the moment.

BTW what amount are you taking? Slow release or Oramorph orally? Only if you're happy to disclose. Just interests me. Lol

• Posted

I won`t be exact `cos I`d be worried about my GP reading this, and having second thoughts. But 200mg+ of Zomorph,(100: mg BD) and 20mg prn (max BD of the Tablet form of Oramorph (instant release tablets). I was to worried about carrying a bottle of Oramorph around with me, manly, because I`m likely to knok it over! Plus, there is the chance that someone may rob you for it.But I`m going to ask to be switched back to Oramorph next review, as I think it just basically works better, and quicker than the tablets.

Paddy

• Posted

I agree the oral version does act a lot quicker!

That's a fair old lump of morphine sir, pain must really be a problem. How do you manage to get prescriptions for that amount? Don't worry I'm not in need of any more and I'm not looking to increase the dosage for the sake of it.

I'm on it for pain relief as I have Elhars-danlos syndrome. If you've never heard if it I wouldn't be shocked as a lot if doctors haven't heard if it either, although via many petitions etc etc a lot more doctors have "some" degree of knowledge these days.

Amongst other things it causes me to have dislocated joints between 4 and 17 times a day, most I can get back in myself or with help from A. N. other! The other two main symptoms for me are chronic pain and chronic fatigue, sometimes causing me to be bedridden for anything uo to 5-7 days. But in between those days I can feel almost human for up to three to three to four weeks. In that respect I'm truly greatful.

Don't answer if you don't want too and tell me to dissappear if I'm being too nosey but what is it that you're suffering from Paddy?

It's good to chat to you By the way Paddy . And sorry for the long texts 👊

Mike.

• Posted

Basically, very slowly and in smali increments. Also. I have Arthritis in every joint from my neck to my toes, so my pain is pretty obvious, and visible, this helps, as trying to convince someone you are in pain can be very difficult, as usually there aren`t many visible symtoms. Also NEVER ask for an increase in dosage more than once a year, 2 if you can stand it. I would say it took around 10 years to get from Co-Codamol to where I am now. I hope your illness (which I must admit I have never heard of), doesn`t get you down too much, as it does sound awfully painful. Good luck mate.

BTW, I never thought you were the type that would be looking for just more meds, I could tell by the way you asked the questions you have, this is basically what this site is for patients helping others, so no problems at the length of questions.

Paddy

• Posted

Also I should say I am a large chap 17 stone, so I think they started me off on a larger dose than they would an 8 stone woman!, not being sexist in anyway of course.
    • Posted

No I'm definitely struggling! Lol.

I've also got no ACL or PCL ligament in my left knee which I've had for 20 years. They did repair it back then but it didn't hold. By the time I went to see if they do anything more they operated first to get the screws out so the bone where the holes had been drilled could heal.

Unfortunately they were so embedded in that they couldn't get them out and stapled me back up to go home!

I've seen a consultant since and he said the only thing he can offer me is a full knee replacement but as I'm 43 he wants to hold off with that for as long possible which I fully understand as they only last so long.

Because of this its riddled with arthritis. Has fluid on it and a cyst! All good fun.

Because my joints dislocate so much I too have arthritis in various bodily joints. Yay.

And you're so true, because people can't see the pain you're in most days as we hide it well, when we do have a really bad day they just can't comprehend how this can be.

Well it is upsetting and depressing when even some family members and close freights don't believe you, some even telling everyone that you're making it up and you're just being lazy and need to push harder.

I often wish these people could swap places for a week, they'd soon change their approach I think!!

Mike

• Posted

Mike what's your current medication and history? IE how long and how many mg?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.