Long term use of Zopiclone

Posted , 27 users are following.

I realise that nowadays, GP`s aren`t keen on prescribing the \"Z\" drugs, however I started taking Zopiclone in 1994, and to be honest, I still find them the most useful sleeping tablet, even after 17 years. The others Zolpidem and Zaleplon did not work at all for me.

Back when I was initially prescribed them the dose was 15mg and that`s what I take to this day. When I started my journey I was totally messed up, in many ways, and I was lucky to find myself under the care of a Consultant Psychciatrist that wasn`t afraid to prescribe \"unfashionable\" medications, hence my still being on them.

Initially, I was going through divorce, redundancy, bankruptcy, suicidal, self harming... etc. etc., and the main cause for this was my poly drug abuse, and alcoholism, and the problems with Family, ex, friends, health this caused.

To cut a long story short, all this caused a Heart attack when I was 37 years old, and this was the \"prompt\" that finally caused me to grow up.

I`ll restrict this to Zopiclone, as I think this drug is getting a bad press, and although some of it is deserved, I think that if taken properly, it remains an effective way to get some sleep.

From my experience, 15mg is the maximum effective dose, taking more will not make you sleep anymore or get to sleep any quicker, infact in my case taking over 15mg is counter-productive, and can be dangerous.

Basically I had to learn (and it took a long time) not to expect \"knock-out drops\", I find it is best to take them, and within 1/2hr be prepared to sleep. That is in bed, comfortable, dark, and quiet (if all these things can be managed that is). I don`t expect any extreme feelings of drowsiness, etc. in fact I usually cannot remember falling asleep, and often cannot remember dreaming, usually it seems that I close my eyes, and that`s it, it`s morning!. I also found that although many people find the amnesia that sometimes occurs can worry people, my way of looking at it is \"well that`s 33% of my problem solved\", as I`m sure everyone will know, there`s nothing worse than insomnia when you`re Depressed, anxious or worried, or in pain or whatever is keeping you awake 24hrs a day.

Everyone is different, and I see that many people find that Zopiclone is not for them, for many reasons.

If taken as prescribed, I haven`t found anything more effective than Zopiclone for Insomnia.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers Egggbert

6 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was suffering to the point of despair.  Online sellers of zopiclone can be scammers.  I have come to the point that I will probably need some kind of sedative to sleep.  As gp's will not give you zopiclone the best and 10 times better solution is 1 10 mg amitriptyline and 1/2 a 15mg of mirtazapine. I now wake up refreshed.  To much of either of these drugs is a complete no no for side effects reasons but small amounts of either of these works like magic

• Posted

Yes Smudge22, small doses of Amitrytaline, and especially 15mg of Mirtazapine are being pushed hard by UK GP`s as an alternative to the "real" sleeping pills, by that I mean medications that are designed to make you sleep. As I already take 45mg of Mirtazapine at night for depression (and I have to say it is in my case a very effective antidepressent) it isn`t an option for me, when i was given Amitrytaline to try for pain relief, firstly, it didn`t help my pain at all, and I had blurred vision for 12 hours of the day, that was on just 25mg at night.

It is supposed to be good for Neuropathic type pain..

Although I believe that these drugs can sometimes be very useful for "off License" uses. They`re not for me personally.

Basically if it works for you then I`m happy for you.

All the best

Paddy

• Posted

I've tried both these drugs Smudge22 but found that they left me even more glued to the bed I'm the morning than if I hadn't slept.

Maybe I was taking too much but was only ever taking them as prescribed by my GP.

• Posted

I have been on Zopiclone for the last 8 weeks and it has changed my life. I have never slept well, wake numerous times to pee and struggle to go back to sleep because of the chatty monkey brain.

7.5mg sends me off within 20 mins and I often take a second to go back if I wake after 4 hours. This gets me back to the second half of my nights sleep I have never had.

I am taking sertraline and proanodol for anxiety but the Zop Kos what is giving me the mental strength. My Dr is allowing me to continue but I am not sure for how long. I would sign up for permanent today.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.