Looking at this forum has removed all hope from me and left me depressed

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey guys back again. I posted here 20 days ago and nothing has changed. The more i read up on it on this forum the less hopeful I get. It had gotten slightly better and when i started smoking again it regressed. I stopped smoking again but im worried this is going to last a life time. Reading up on this forum everything seems like there is no way to ever get better and im going to be stuck with it for life. I have gotten extremely depressed and suicidal thoughts have started to creep in. I’m starting to worry my parents alot and this is also my first year at university and I’m f*****g it up. I can’t take this anymore. Slight advice for anyone who like me overworries. Try not to read up to much about the dysfunction.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi luke34832

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Hi Luke

ETD does get better. You'll probably grow out of it. So don't worry - its very unlikely that this will be lifelong.

This forum does contain many heart-sinking stories.

• Posted

Hey Luke,

I too got very seriously depressed as a result of my Eustachian tube dysfunction. I ended up on an antidepressant to get me through the worst of it. I had a read of your post and the twitching you had in your eardrum sounds very like what I experience when my sinuses are very in flammed. The mucus then gets pushed into your Eustachian tube and sits at the back of your ear drum so when you hear noise it flutters and noise can sound very loud. Do you experience that?

Here's some backstory so you can understand how affected I was by the ETD. It started after I had a nasty sinus infection and then went travelling all around Vietnam. So like you, I took a flight when my ear was compromised. I remember having this horrific pain my ear when we were landing. I actually crashed my car from the dizziness. Luckily it was just me and a wall involved. I also underwent a septoplasty back in August to correct a deviated septum and post nasal drip which helped somewhat. So you can see that I have pretty bad ETD sad

However, I have hope as there a few things I have discovered just recently that have given me some pretty  instantaneous relief  and I have this for about 15 months on and off. I now know what to do when it flairs up so I feel more in control which is what I think leads to that awful depression. The not knowing when or if you will ever feel better.

Firstly, The mucus build up which is causing the ETD is as a result from something, either in your environment (such as mold, dust, pollen) or that your ingesting or perhaps you suffer with sinus issues? Common culprits are dairy, nightshade vegetables (such as potatoes, peppers, uncooked tomatoes), diet drinks which contain aspartame. Have you tried to cut anything out of your diet? Also, did you move to a new location to go to college? If so, there could be mold, dust, pollen that is contributing to the 3 colds you had in quick succession.

Are you using a sinus spray? Or have you tried antihistamines or sudafed/ actifed to take down the inflammation? I bought an ear popper device online which really helped. Also, I perform the valsalva maneuver hourly when I am bad. Two ENT's told me to do this and it does help!

You said that cutting out the cigarettes helped somewhat? So that would suggest you have irritation in your sinuses/ears.

In my case there was mold in my apartment .Which we recently discovered had grown over 1/3rd of the top of our ceiling so we could smell it but couldn't see that much of it so we didn't realize the extent of it. We had it professionally removed and I experienced some relief.

I went on holidays to Portugal for a week and within days the ETD settled and my vertigo vanished for the first time in 4 months! I cried with happiness. So in my case I seem to be highly allergic to mold and something in my diet also as when I returned from holidays and started to have real cows milk instead of the UHT treated stuff they use in Europe, I noticed a return of my symptoms. Not so severe but a return none the less. 

I am going for allergy testing in the coming month where they scratch your arm and test for all sorts of food and environmental allergens (such as cat hair and I love my cat!).

We can and will get better Luke! I am so much better than a few months ago where I was also on the brink. If you would like to have chat further on this let me know. I have been to 3 different ENT's, a rheumatologist and countless doctors about this so I have some understanding of how fed up you are feeling. 

All the best,

Emerald Lupie

• Posted

Hey Emerarld really really appreciate your reply and Im also really glad to hear that youre improving. The spasms in my ear only happened in the first day that i got this condition and stopped the next morning and it was due to me blowing my blocked nose really hard and felt some mucus shooting up my eustschian tube. I’ll never forget that feeling hahaha.

I’m trying to cut out milk of my diet to try it out and im also taking Nasacort Spray and Levo Cetrizine. I’m also taking up sea water in my sinuses as suggested by my GP and also pharmacist to clear up the pathways and draw out mucus, as i live on an island i’m never too far from the sea! I’m sure that my condition arose from me having a cold in Malta and having the ear spasm thing happen then I went abroad 3days later to Brussels and caught another cold when i was there 2 days before I caught a plane home. So to be honest I think theres just some mucus accumulation up there! Although I must say i don’t have the same amount of oresure I’ve had before. Infact sometimes I barely have any pressure at all just the felling that my ears are gluey I don’t know how to explain it but my ears crackle alot when I open my eustachian tubes or swallow. But yes i must say I am better but I’m also worried that since its flu season I’ll catch a cold and go back to step one. I’m also taking warm honey before I sleep and massaging warm oil into under  my cheekbones and behind my ears. (Don’t know if they really work but they can’t do any damge so why not.) 

Also since my countries quite small Universities close to where I love so my environments still the same. Also is the earpopper worth it? Cause I’ve heard auite alot of negstive reviews about it. Also I am on a course of antihistamines rightnow (levocitrezine)

Also thankyou for your reply again and goodluck with your own journey!

• Posted

Hey Emerarld really really appreciate your reply and Im also really glad to hear that youre improving. The spasms in my ear only happened in the first day that i got this condition and stopped the next morning and it was due to me blowing my blocked nose really hard and felt some mucus shooting up my eustschian tube. I’ll never forget that feeling hahaha.

I’m trying to cut out milk of my diet to try it out and im also taking Nasacort Spray and Levo Cetrizine. I’m also taking up sea water in my sinuses as suggested by my GP and also pharmacist to clear up the pathways and draw out mucus, as i live on an island i’m never too far from the sea! I’m sure that my condition arose from me having a cold in Malta and having the ear spasm thing happen then I went abroad 3days later to Brussels and caught another cold when i was there 2 days before I caught a plane home. So to be honest I think theres just some mucus accumulation up there! Although I must say i don’t have the same amount of oresure I’ve had before. Infact sometimes I barely have any pressure at all just the felling that my ears are gluey I don’t know how to explain it but my ears crackle alot when I open my eustachian tubes or swallow. But yes i must say I am better but I’m also worried that since its flu season I’ll catch a cold and go back to step one. I’m also taking warm honey before I sleep and massaging warm oil into under  my cheekbones and behind my ears. (Don’t know if they really work but they can’t do any damge so why not.) 

Also since my countries quite small Universities close to where I love so my environments still the same. Also is the earpopper worth it? Cause I’ve heard auite alot of negstive reviews about it. Also I am on a course of antihistamines rightnow (levocitrezine)

Also thankyou for your reply again and goodluck with your own journey!

• Posted

Luke

I no longer post or read here because my "ETD" was finally diagnosed correctly and now I manage it where it has little impact on my life. I went to 15 or so doctors before it was diagnosed correctly as muscle spasms in the tensor tympanic muscle that controls the eustachian tube. You are correct there are many long term unsolved cases on here and it gets depressing searching for a solution. Doctors brushed me off saying ETD and did nothing until I considered eustachian tube balloon surgery and contacted acclarent who gave me a doctor into research from Ohio State University and he examined me for 45 minutes and asked what the other 6 ENTS had told me and assured me it was not ETD. Stress is a huge part of my issue and adding stress to trying to resolve it made it worse. I looked back and remembered taking a Xanax once when it got bad and got temporary relief so the doctor's diagnosis of muscle spam made sense. Don't give up hope. Look for ENT with research background. I see most posts on balloon dilation don't work and I am glad I looked into it and found a doctor who did it but said that won't help you and could make it worse because you don't have ETD.

That's my story. Keep positive and you will find a resolution and life will return to normal.

Message me if I can help further...it isn't hopeless luke

Mike

• Posted

Hello Luke, I do remember your posts. If you have not yet been prescribed PREDNISOLONE STEROID TABLETS, WHY ??

They are the only medication that should help.  They will get rid of all the inflammation that is

causing your ears to remain blocked, because they' re swollen and cannot drain.

I've suffered this condition for more years than I care to remember, but for me when things

get really bad they are the only meds that work.

If your ears have been blocked for longer than a month, you definitely need a course.  Personally,

anything shorter than a 20 day reducing course won't work.

I groan on and on about these tablets as they are the only thing that will work.  Not too sure all the

people I've messaged back about them are actually asking for them, or maybe being refused them.  One

20 day reducing course will sort you out.  You cannot go on and on with blocked ears, particularly while

you're studying, as it's one of the most awful things to have to cope with.

Anne

• Posted

I was prescribed a 10 day course with little to no effect
    • Posted

Hey Anne.

I tried the prednisolone for a month but it didn't help so much. However I was only on 10mg at the max before reducing. This was due to my compromised immune system as I have lupus. May I ask what dose you found helped?

Thanks a mil

EL

• Posted

What dose Luke? Have you tried Sudafed for a week and a nasal steroid spray such as avamys?
    • Posted

Hello,my course was 5mg each tablet.  Without looking up what I took back in April this year I can't remember, but think I took 6 tablets for 6 days, 5 tablets for 5 days etc, etc.  Haven't done the math, but 20 days worth at the reducing rate.

Maybe having Lupus isn't a good idea to take them then....your doctor should know.  I just feel so sorry for anyone suffering this dreadful condition, as it drags us down mentally as well as physically.

So strange that a cure can't be found when so many of us suffer..

• Posted

Hey I’ve honestly got no clue to how strong the Prednisolone course was but as far as I know they were very strong around 40 mg if i remember correctly.
    • Posted

That's such a shame they didn't work for you.  Are you sure you're actually suffering Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and not suffering from the air in your ears being unequal....not too sure what that would be called.  Google it in case this is what you may have.

• Posted

Hey is that an actual thing? Wouldn’t the air have equalized ages ago?
    • Posted

Not necessarily Luke,  I was reading on the forum the other day that someone is suffering this sort of ear problem.  It happens to me at time (fortunately not that often) but when it does it feel worse than when the tubes stick together.  It's got a name but can't think of.  I delete all messages once I've read them, so I can't go back and find it.  I'm sure if you Google it you'll read what it's called.  Ears won't even pop why I try to pop them and that's because it's air and not mucus.

Ears seem to be so complicated !!

• Posted

Just googled it myself and all it says is air pressure when one has flown.  Usually after flying when we pop ours ears they open....mine can start out of the blue and don't know why.  Must be something that when people suffer ear problems just happens.  Wish I'd kept the message on the Forum from the person that is suffering from it.

When you pop your ears do you hear crackling, if so usually that mucus and classed as ETD, or Glue Ear in children, which adults suffer too.

• Posted

Yes Cracklings basically all i cna hear when i pop my ears.
    • Posted

That's a good sign then and not an air problem.  Have you tried inhalations with a towel over your head and bowl of boiling water.......I do this from time to time and stay under towel for 20 mins....get out and try and pop, usually it works.  The problem is when they stick back up again.  It's like putting an envelope over a kettle that's boiling to un-stick it, takes a while.  give it a go if you haven't already.

• Posted

2nd day dong it with some Vicks dissolved in the water helps quite a bit and usually do it after taking up some salt water.
    • Posted

Hello again Luke,

My friend has just sent me this link which I've read and found most interesting....here it is:

And another for Redlight therapy : 

Hope you find this as interesting as I did. 

Anne

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hey could you please send them as private message cause the links were removed smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.