looking for some encouragement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Came off anti depressants 18 months ago as felt I was in a better place to deal with life and what it throws at us.

feeling quite sad and dissapointed that this week I made the decision to go back to doc and im back on them.

I felt so down for a while that awful black cloud was looming, I tried so hard to battle through . Finances , family health issues, the list goes on, have just

pushed me to the limit. I feel like im not as in control as I should be and its

scary. Cant stop thinking and over annalysing all the things that concern and worry me.

SO I have the tablets but scared to take them they are different to the ones I had last time. Used to take citalapram but doc has given me Fluoxetine.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

If you have got this far reading my entry Thankyou.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry to hear you have had to have them again,I think there is such a stigma with these drugs but just hang on to the fact you had them before and came off them perhaps you need that crutch with all that is going on.Remember if you were diabetic or a heart patient you would need them to live,keep posting on here if it helps.Good Luck
  • Posted

Thanks for your kind words, its so very true. Im normally one of those people who just keeps plodding on, but ive hit that awful low, fingers crossed I will have to be patient with myself and start taking meds tomorrow morning.
  • Posted

I cant work any of this out,all that I know is we are meant to work for someone,something and then die?I think just smile a lot,laugh at them? helps me.Take care.
  • Posted

Hi there. Sorry to hear you have felt the need to go back on medication. I have had these relapses in the past and have always regretted going back to the tablets, however, please remember that these tablets are there for when you cannot deal with the emotions on your own. They are a coping mechanism which enables us to get through those times when we need to focus on moving on. So if that means a safe enabler then keep with it.

As for the make, I've tried and tested them. They do the job they are prescribed for. Just stick with them, the first couple if weeks can seem non effective but that will pass.

And remember this: it's only a few months, once you are over the worst, you can seen yourself off them again 😃

• Posted

Thanks so glad I found this site its not always easy to talk to your nearest and

dearest especially when alot of my personal concerns and worries are effecting them too. We all deal with lifes challenges in different ways.

Its crazy really Im the one that friends and family feel they can come to for reassurance and to confide in yet I find myself feeling unable to do just that.

I hope things improve soon.

• Posted

Your friends ect will probably think of you as mad,or so you think,take time out for yourself and ask why you think you are different? you are because you are special and don't think like the norm,you think of life from a different perspective.Try to enjoy it Sky
  • Posted

Hi Sky

I'm really sorry that you have felt the need to go back on the anti depressants after such a long absence.

I've been on Fluoxetine for just over 6 years. Yes, it seems a long time to be ill and it is but its a means to an end. Anything that stops me having suicidal thoughts and stops me from entering that horrible dark pit is a blessing despite the side effects.

I hope the flu treats you well. I am trying to come off them now (since Sept last year) but have had some hiccups along the way so had to up my dose from 20mg to 30mg (was on 40mg). I'm on liquid flu so its easier to regulate dosage.

Good luck and best wishes

MP

• Posted

Sorry, me again. I've just read your last post. I, like you, used to be the person everyone would confide it and talk over personal problems. This is all very well as long as you have someone YOU can then offload on to.

Its our kind and caring nature that lets us do this. Unwittingly, these people are being selfish by offloading their problems on to you thus making them feel better. What you have to learn (which i found really hard) is to also be selfish and look after number 1 - you, first.

I know my limits now and its like an imaginary barrier goes up when i reach that limit. It takes some practise to change your makeup but self preservation is key.

Even professional counsellors have people in the profession they offload on to.

I'll go to bed now.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi all , well I am day 2 of going back on

AD would have to say that Im feeling not quite so lost, I know that the meds will

take time to work and I know I have to be patient. I think that taking the plunge and doing something about this very unpleasant illness is encouraging in itself. Early days for me, im trying hard walking, going to work etc trying to continue with the normal things in my life its tough but hopefully it will improve soon.

Trying to deal with the many difficulties in our life, hopefully if things can be sorted

there, well the ones we are in control of may help to ease the pressure we often

feel. I totally sympathise with anyone trying to cope with depression.

This site is great, im awaiting an appointment with a counsellor from our local

surgery but wondering whether anyone here attends group therapy sessions, and if you do , how helpful do you find them.

• Posted

Hi Sky.

I am also waiting to be assessed and get some back up have had CBT but did no good for me so waiting to see what else they offer,I am trying to cut my benzo. tablets down just by a quarter a night but hard today cannot think a quarter off of 0.5 can make such a difference.I really look forward to chatting on here.Take Care

• Posted

Hi Joan

I had counselling 3 years ago and found it really helpful , that was when I could afford to pay for it, things have changed since then we are no longer in a position to

be able to do that. Hopefully I will be able to get some one to one counselling keeping my fingers crossed.

I think that what I find hard is that you can talk about most ailments yet depression seems one of those illnesses that people find hard to discuss and understand unless they have experience of it.

At the moment Im finding the over annalysing drives me mad, wish I could switch

that bit off. Im ok ish one minute then I start thinking to much and worrying about

things that havent happened yet.

Hope you get some joy to regarding counselling, its a positive experience if you can get someone you feel comftable enough to open up to.

• Posted

Hi megan

Good to hear that you found flu so beneficial to you. Its good to get everybodies

take on where they are at, I find it so helpful that the people on here all have such a big part of there life in common, and we are able to shere our advice and

experiences. Hang in there with managing your meds better to do it gradually

and slowly im sure you will see a clearer picture doing it this way.

• Posted

Hi sky,

Thankyou for your lovely post much appreciated,it does help to know you are not alone.We hopefully can help each other on here.Take Care.

• Posted

Hi all

Struggling to sleep I know its all part of the depression , I wake up and start thinking everything just goes around and around in my head. Was hoping that the AD would help me sleep better!

• Posted

Hi Sky

It's good to hear that you are trying hard to do things like walking and keeping yourself busy, this is what helps me best eventhough it can be difficult at times to carry on. It's the lack of energy some days that gets me the most, but even then if I need a day resting I try to find something at home to keep myself busy, I like to paint smile.

I don't know much about fluoxetine, do they have any sedating effect? My GP changed me from citalopram to mirtazapine to help me get to sleep because citalopram and depression was causing me insomnia, I am getting on quite well with them.

Don't be too hard on yourself about going back onto medication, I was very reluctant to take anything in the beginning, but like someone else has said it is no different from needing medication for any other condition, it is a physical illness.

Best wishes smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.