Looking for suregon for SRP

Posted , 15 users are following.

New member first post. I have been reading lots of posts and am discouraged that many treatments appear to be short term or have serious side effects. I believe at 61 that I would rather just go for broke at get a SRP. The problem is, as with all procedures, you need to find an expert that has lots of experience. I do have a few connections and obtained a list of surgeons that have billed the CPT code for SRP last year and am going to focus on the group of docs that have higher volume. I am willing to go anywhere in the country for the procedure. Locally the high volume surgeons are only doing SRP on patients that already have prostate cancer and not on patients with BPH.

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello:

I had a SRP this past August and it was very successful. Private message me and I would be glad to share my experience and any other information you would like.

I am also 61 years old and my prostate was MRI measured at 265g.

Dave

• Posted

Hey Buddy

First of all welcome to the forum.

Any procedure you have is not a fix all. That is also going for the SRP that you have decided to have. I have looked it up before. There is a list of side effect a whole page long.

Every man goes into a procedure thinking this will be the one to take care of everything. And it don't. That is because the prostate keeps growing. Every man should pick whatever you feel is right for them but that does not all ways happen. Even if you get a good doctor which is a good idea. You body will determine the outcome.

Most doctor tell you that you should start out with a less evasive procedure first and if you need something else in 5 or 6 year you can have it done ago or have something else.

I for one pick the Urolift when I was 58. That was 4 years ago. Still wide open. I did not want any problem with sex or my ejaculation even if doctors do not say it is a function. If I need to have a couple of my clips put in so be it and this way I will get another 5 year to enjoy my life.

You can have what ever you want but prepare yourself for the worst.

Good luck and make sure you get all the information you can. Even talk to the other patients that the doctor has done this procedure to.Ken

• Posted

Not sure why you're thinking of such an extreme option . KEN's logic is correct. I opted for a PAE. Urolift seems like a good low side effect way to go also. Although i dont like the idea of clips inside the penis but it seems to work in most cases.

• Posted

I beg to differ. SRP is not an extreme option. It is one option among many. We get too caught up on non-invasive versus invasive. We lose focus on short-term versus long-term. We would rather treat the symptom versus fix the problem. We would prefer beads, metal bands, meds, etc., over removal of the very mass that is the root of all our problems. It seems we are in favor of squeezing and shrinking instead of removal. I report with first-hand experience from the dark side of invasive and extreme options. It is not as bad as you think.

Respectfully,

Dave

• Posted

Holep is way more favorable in every aspect compared to SRP. Do some more research.

• Posted

Dave, I know you had a successful SRP and naturally you wanted to help and suggested it to others. However, I had to agree to others that you were fortunate and/or had a darn good surgeon. Others may not be so fortunate.

Just go online and search for Holep vs SRP. You might change your mind.

• Posted

Hi Hank:

The gentleman above stated he would go anywhere in this country for the right procedure (and I assume right doctor/facility). You are right, my uro oncology surgeon is a rock star and works for one of the top 2% cancer facilities in the country. He did an excellent job with me and delivered on all his promises (gave me a garden hose and maintained my love stick). Yes, I am not only an evangelist for the Simple Robotic Prostatectomy, I am also an evangelist for not being afraid of invasive options. I can only share my experience with this so-called taboo procedure. We do not have to be afraid of invasive surgery just because the industry wants us to try meds and non-invasive stuff first, and all the side effects that come along with it. Cut to the chase and remove the mass that holds us hostage in the BPH world and then take no more meds for BPH, or worry about doing something over again in 5-years. I am one and done.

Dave

• Posted

Hank, I just did the search that you recommended. What I found was a long list of men that had issues with incontinence following their Holep procedures. I asked the question on this thread to get feedback from men that have had a Simple Robotic Prostatectomy for comparison. I read a study years ago, before robotic surgery became the gold standard and the instances of reported incontinence was severly under-reported by surgeons who performed open radical prostatectomies and even the first thousands that had robotic surgery. Why ? Because many patients were too embarrassed to tell the doctor that they had to wear depends all the time. When the same study was completed by the nurses, the instance on lingering incontinence went up 50%. I think that is the value of these message boards, to get a patients perspective of the results of the various treatments. I am not here to pick on people for their choices, I am just looking for good feedback. I have spoken with Davecanpee's urologists nurse and also several offices where the surgeon has a high volume performing Simple Robotic Prostatectomy procedures. Many of them have comments from satisfied men with few side effects. I am still in the discovery phase but looking with eyes wide open.

• Posted

Forums like this are used by men who had problems with any procedure they had. Ones with good results seldom have a reason to join they have better things to do with their time.

• Posted

Hi Derek:

Good point, but I am here because I want to share a positive experience with others, and for those seeking information, be a first-hand source for what I went through. I can't tell you exactly why I am compelled to engage, but as I told my wife, I just wanted to help other men (plus I am an educator, which compels me to teach). Keep in mind, I never came to this forum before my surgery, and only found it afterwards when wanting to help others. Beforehand, I went through multiple uros and researched all the options that were out there to understand what procedures were being done. I did not take any medications, so no experience there. About 14-months ago, I went from peeing to multiple episodes of retention, and at the time, not understanding what the hell was happening (my enormous prostate was finally getting my attention). I had not seen a uro in years, so I was not having annual finger waves. I already knew from years back that I had an enlarged prostate. Until retention brought me to my knees, I never worried about it. In a matter of a few very long months on an indwelling catheter, I went from whatever my normal was, to having a simple robotic prostatectomy. I was fortunate to find the right Dr. (by my own aggression) to fix my problem, and I was never for treating the symptoms. I wanted to be one and done.

Dave

• Posted

Dave

I think that is all of us we want to go through a procedure 1 time and no more.

Glad you had a good outcome. But you do know that every man is different and not all men have the same out come. Most of the time.

Enjoy your life..........Ken

• Posted

What is the cost compared to the more common options. I would imagine it is expensive. Did your insurance cover it. Certainly here in the UK the NHS would not countenance it.

• Posted

Derek

What I know about the UK insurance they would not even consider it. You would have to go private.

Ken

• Posted

Hi Derek:

I have no idea the comparison costs to other options. I have two insurances. All was covered. Nothing out of my pocket.

Dave

• Posted

Most of the time you get someone who is moonlighting from his NHS hospital.

• Posted

Do the insurers allow you to choose the option you want and not consider all the options and restrict some on cost and on the opinions of their medical advisors.

• Posted

Hello Derek:

My insurances (I have two) never questioned or restricted anything. Not sure how others work.

Dave

• Posted

You will be having others asking who your insurers are 😃

• Posted

Forums like this are used by men who had problems with any procedure they had. Ones with good results seldom have a reason to join they have better things to do with their time.

I agree that someone whose BPH has already been successfully treated is unlikely to join this forum. But I think it's more often the case that men come here looking for what others have experienced handling BPH issues. Once they have had a successful outcome, be it via surgery or medication, they find no real reason to hang around. That's my situation. I posted a 6-week post-TURP summary yesterday and once that thread loses steam (and that won't take more than a few days), I will be signing off.

• Posted

I had both of my laser procedures before joining this Forum. I used to use an old BPH newsgroup .I stay here out of interest and to try to correct misconceptions and to put anyone off the original TURP version that somehow is still being offered as Gold Standard.

I was fortunate not to accept the TURP I was offered in 1995. A British journalist was told he needed one and investigated it and wrote a series of articles about its problems. I read a book by a Dr Salcedo who had been urologist to the US Navy and learnt a lot from it. I had some correspondence with him and he advised against TURP and to wait for one of the Laser procedures being developed.

GL was easier than going to the dentist and life was immediately back to normal. I certainly would not have Urolift or PAE.

• Posted

Hello Derek & Other's

I was not going to say anything but it has been brewing for hours and I just have to say a few word's

I do agree with you that the old TURP should be retired. TURP is use mostly for the last resort. If nothing else work cut it out but sometime that don't work either. I have read some of the article and trails that the doctors have done. If it was so great then that would be the only procedure for BPH

Derek I'm happy that the GL worked for you but your prostate grows like a weed. You had to go through 3 procedure. That is a lot to put your body through.

We are all made the same but we are all different and there is not a one size fix all. The best thing to do is to do research on what you want to have. Know something before you go to the doctor and ask your doctor questions.

We on here are from all over this world and we all have different concerns. But you have to make sure you have a good doctor and you have all the test to see if the prostate is your problem before they start cutting you up.

I feel sorry for Rob. He had a Urolift that did not work But it did what it was suppose to do. They put 6 clips on his prostate and it opened him up ( That is what all the procedure does but the other cut out the tissue ) When the doctor went inside he saw a median lobe and did nothing about it. That doctor did not do him right.

Like I said make sure you have all the tests to see what the problem is. We pick what we feel is good for us. The Urolift was good for me and a lot of other men If the prostate is your only problem. PAE has work great for some men but talking with a few doctors they have found out that it works better for larger prostate. And if you have a median lobe they will address the artery that is attach to that part of the prostate

Have a good day all......Life goes on.......Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken,

My weed only had two laser procedures. I hope that a third will not be ever needed.

Comment from a TURP only urologist 'If you had a TURP in the first place you would not have needed a second procedure '

• Posted

Good morning Derek

Sorry I thought you had 3. No problem

Someone on here had 3 It was a Turp and they 2 lasers within 10 years.

Oh well. Well it's 5 am here time for bed......

Have a nice day...Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.