Looking for suregon for SRP

Posted , 15 users are following.

New member first post. I have been reading lots of posts and am discouraged that many treatments appear to be short term or have serious side effects. I believe at 61 that I would rather just go for broke at get a SRP. The problem is, as with all procedures, you need to find an expert that has lots of experience. I do have a few connections and obtained a list of surgeons that have billed the CPT code for SRP last year and am going to focus on the group of docs that have higher volume. I am willing to go anywhere in the country for the procedure. Locally the high volume surgeons are only doing SRP on patients that already have prostate cancer and not on patients with BPH.

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

OMG! I can’t imagine doing a SRP and dealing with all the negative side effects when there is no cancer and there are so many other options available.

Even when I was diagnosed with cancer, I looked for a better solution than an SRP. Can’t imagine going through a year or more of impotence, plus incontinence issues and when (or if you do get it back) the erections are never as good as it was before. Plus they don’t tell you that your penis is likely going to be shorter than it was before!

Too many men with stories of regret. Wishing they had done something else. There is no magic bullet and there is no one right solution.

If you have looked at all your options and know all the potential side effects and that’s what you want to do, I support you hundred percent. However, I’m not convinced that you think a SRP it right for you or why else would you have posted. SRP seems extreme when there are other better alternatives.

I hope and pray you are 100% sure you want a SRP because unlike other less invasive procedures...you will only get one shot at this.

• Posted

Dear New Member:

Please clarify if you are asking about "radical" removal of the prostate, or "simple" removal of the prostate.

If radical, disregard all my responses. My procedure did not radically remove my prostate. Through the accuracy of robotics, my prostate was shelled out of its lobes like you would shell out an avocado.

Dave

• Posted

I am shopping for a Simple. I have contacted you before, I just updated my member name. I believe that finding a surgeon that is competent and has lots of patients that will attest to his competency is the way to go. I remember when the robotic option became available, that our local hospital bought one and then had a series of "FREE Prostate screenings" so that the local urologists could get some patients to learn the procedure. I have been around the medical field my whole working life and believe that for this or any other surgery you have to find someone that is competent and who does this surgery often. I have pursued many posts on this board where members just followed the recommendation of the local urologist. I once worked in a lab and saw the lab specimens from TURP procedures, not knowing the extreme side effects of the procedure. Thank you for the warnings, but DaveCanPee can't be the only member that has had a successful Simple. For that matter, are there any members that have had a poor outcome ?

• Posted

Hello All

When you do a look up on SRP procedure you come up with 3 procedures.

Simple Retropubic Prostotectomy and Salvage Radical Prostotectomy and a Simple Radical Prostotectomy . I think one is done for BPH and the other are for cancer. Look does not say if he has cancer just was looking for something to get BPH over and done with.

I think he has to do more research to make sure what he want is going to fix all with not adding to his problem.

Best to all Ken

• Posted

Good to here from you again. I just spoke with my Dr. yesterday and shared with him that I am on this forum trying to share my experiences. He thought that was great and said he would be glad to talk with anyone.

This BPH forum is mostly everyone in the meds and non-invasive areas. I have yet to meet anyone that has done what I had done. Maybe one day, or when we start not being afraid of an invasive fix to our problem.

Dave

• Posted

Hi Ken:

I noticed we get confused with the acronyms and names of the procedures. When talking with my Dr. yesterday, I used SRP. He normally does not use the acronym and just spells it out as Simple Robotic Prostatectomy. That works for me.

Dave

• Posted

To most of us your procedure was like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

• Posted

Hey Dave

That good because I came up with 3 procedure and there all different. It is good that your doctor will take with Look That would be a good Idea for him. I wish him Luck. ..Ken

• Posted

Hey Looking

When it comes down to it. It is up to you what procedure you have. Talk with Dave doctor and get more information. Maybe he can see you and do the surgery on you.

But before you have it you have to make sure that your prostate is the problem. Have all the test you can to make sure. Also I feel you are going into this with rose color glasses.

You have to be aware of the side effects because we are all different and we all react to surgery different. You may have the same out come but you never know.

I wish you luck in whatever you do and it is all you are looking for. Ken

• Posted

Rose colour glasses was what the 'We only do TURP' Scottish Uro wrote to me in 2004 when I asked him to refer me to the Freeman in Newcastle to get me on their GL PVP trial programme.

Strange four years later they were doing GL PVP.

• Posted

Hey Buddy

Good morning. Just check to see if anyone was on. Going to lay down in a few. It's going on 5 am here.

I just feel he thinks it's a fix all and he is not looking at all the side effect he could have We never now until after a procedure is done if it worked or not.

But it's his life and his body and he is going to have to deal with what happens good or bad.That is the way it goes.

Good night or good morning where ever your at......Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken:

I hear you. At the end of the day, we make the best choice we can make at the time we need to make it using whatever motivation and information we have. The rest is gut feeling and trust because of our reliance on someone to help us. Our imagination gets carried away and we envision how each procedure works. For me with a 265g prostate, and looking at my own MRI, it was clear the tip of the iceberg was not my problem. My problem was the rest of the iceberg pushing up into my bladder as an enormous mass. I wanted to remove the iceberg, and did.

Dave

• Posted

Dave

You did what was best for you. And with a prostate that big you had limited thing to work with. A large prostate is hard to deal with

Being we are all different and our prostate are different sizes. I'm glad that there are other procedure to pick from.

My procedure that I pick because I did not want any side effects erections or my ejaculation. At 63 I'm not ready to give them up even if the doctors consider it not a function. They feel we do not need it because we are not having kids anymore. But for me it goes with my orgasm.

I'm going on 4 years and I am still wide open and if I have to have a couple more clip put in so be it.

I hope you continue to heal well and enjoy your life.......Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.