Looking for suregon for SRP

Posted , 15 users are following.

New member first post. I have been reading lots of posts and am discouraged that many treatments appear to be short term or have serious side effects. I believe at 61 that I would rather just go for broke at get a SRP. The problem is, as with all procedures, you need to find an expert that has lots of experience. I do have a few connections and obtained a list of surgeons that have billed the CPT code for SRP last year and am going to focus on the group of docs that have higher volume. I am willing to go anywhere in the country for the procedure. Locally the high volume surgeons are only doing SRP on patients that already have prostate cancer and not on patients with BPH.

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey DAVE,

Sounds like you had the best outcome anyone could hope for and I’m very happy for you. If “looking for” decides to go forward, I truly hope he goes to your Uro, at least that’s what I would suggest. Would you mind (for educational purposes) please tell us what side effects you went through both temp and permanent.

Did you experience ED at all and if so, how long. Did you use a pump or injections (or pills) to help get it back? I only ask because these are issues on a RP and some times other procedures. Did you (or do) you have any incontinence. Did you or do you need to do kegel exercises? Also, are the erections as strong as prior to your procedure. I’m guessing if you have an orgasm it is dry. I’ve heard there can be bowel control issues with RP but I don’t know if that is a potential problem with SP.

Thanks

• Posted

Hello:

For educational purposes, here are some responses to your questions. Again, I am 5-months post having the Simple Robotic Prostatectomy performed.

1. I have not experienced any ED. As a matter of fact, after the surgery I was with an indwelling catheter for 10-days while the bladder healed. I would get erections even with the catheter in. After the catheter was removed, I had sex and all was good except for a dry orgasm. There was a little fluid there when cleaning up and milking the penis. I still produce a little fluid to this day, but dry for the most part. My wife says it is less messy. Erections are strong and just like they were before. As a note, my nerve bundles, which are on the outside of the prostate lobes, were never touched. Preservation is key.
      2. No incontinence issues. When the catheter was first removed, I had to be careful when farting and sneezing because my garden hose was wide open (so to speak). This went away after a month or two. I think it was more me adjusting to this new garden hose the Dr. gave me by removing the massive prostate. My sphincters were working great (never touched - Preservation). The farting or sneezing was me pushing down hard and my urethra opening up like never before. Keep in mind I lived with a enormous prostate for years. Peeing was never a push for me, but rather relaxing and letting my pee ease out. Voiding took a while as I stood there waiting for my bladder to empty, not realizing it probably never completely emptied. Now, after the surgery, voiding for me is pushing it out with great force and voiding in a matter of seconds. Frigging amazing. I could not tell you when I ever urinated like I do now. I do not have to worry about fluid intake at all. I drink water or tea all the way up to bedtime. Over an 8-9 hour sleep night, I get up once, pee quickly, then on my way back to bed, I drink more water that I have next to my bed. Hydration is not a problem.
      3. No bowel issues at all. What is worth noting is that before surgery, when I sat down for a bowel movement, I always pooped first then peed. Now I pee first then poop. Pushing down to poop just opens up my urethra and out the pee comes. Absolutely no restriction and fantastic flow.

I hope that answers your questions. I also do not take any medications for anything. I am 61 years old and very fortunate with overall health. Saw my Dr. this past Friday and my blood pressure was 124/77. I have always been active in the gym and was once a competitive powerlifter. I am 5'8" and weigh 270lbs. I apparently carry my weight well, but could drop some weight. I'll work harder in the gym. I like having my ice cream each night and eating whatever I want.

Dave

• Posted

Amazing report! So happy for you. Too bad about the dry orgasms but that is the cost of many of the procedures (with only a few that do not impact that). I know the urologist downplay dry orgasms (many wont even tell you unless you bring it up) but it is important to a lot of men, no way around that. All that matters in your situation is that you are happy with the results. Look forward to an update in 6mos. (if you are willing).

• Posted

Hey Dave,

Who was your doctor and what clinic is he with?

• Posted

Hello:

Just sent you a PM message on Dr. and facility.

Dave

• Posted

DaveCanPee,

Please send me the Dr that you used.

I have bph although my prostate is relatively small, but because we are all different it is big enough to cause retention and repeated infections because of the retention. In addition, I have been suffering from chronic prostatitis for the past 25 years. I'm 64. Even though prostatectomy or any bph procedure for that matter has not been proven as a treatment for chronic prostatitis I am desperate enough at this point to try anything. I know a few people personally who have had a robotic radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer who were fully back in business within a month of surgery with no incontinence and no impotence. Of course no more semen during orgasm. They both went to one of the top cancer robotic prostatectomy surgeons in the country in NYC. I also know of others who had lots of side effects after prostate cancer surgery but they went to local Drs. who were far less skilled. It is my understanding that there are only a handful of Drs. in the country who can be trusted to do this surgery without complications. I would gladly post his name, but since I don't see Dr names mentioned on the forum I'm guessing it isn't allowed. I am considering a consult with him, but I don't know if he would be willing to treat someone without prostate cancer.

• Posted

Hello, Dan - Just sent you a private message, with Dr, Facility, links, and pictures.

Dave

• Posted

Is the reason for that that they consider it is not appropriate treatment for BPH ?

• Posted

Derek

I thought it was only done for prostate cancer..

Ken

• Posted

I was curious about this whole conversation and looked it up. My thinking is that insurance may not cover it unless the other options won't work (i.e. prostate too big like Dave's)

Robotic-assisted Simple Prostatectomy for BPH

In some men with severely enlarged BPH, however, surgery to remove a large section of prostate tissue from around the urethra is recommended. This helps with very enlarged prostates (eg, over 100 grams or so, about 3X normal size) or when BPH causes serious obstruction and problems such as urinary retention, infection, blood or stones (calculi) in the bladder, or kidney damage. This surgery, which is sometimes called enucleation (physically shelling out the abnormally enlarged portion of the organ) is traditionally done with surgery through a large, open incision below the navel.

Today, this surgery can also be performed with the da Vinci® Surgical System in a minimally invasive procedure called a robotic-assisted simple prostatectomy. Compared to the open simple prostatectomy, robotic techniques allow more precise removal of the inner part of the prostate with smaller incisions, reduced blood loss, less need for blood transfusion, less pain, shorter hospital stay (usually 1 to 2 days versus a week), and faster overall recovery before a return to normal activities.

• Posted

Hey Tim

This procedure I feel would be the best for a large prostate. Like Dave almost 300 That is big. But with all the other procedure out there if you have a prostate of 100 or less. Something else should work

It is all up to the men and what there concerns are.

Have a good day......Ken

• Posted

Hello Tim:

This is exactly what I had done last August for my 265g BPH prostate (no cancer). I had five (5) small incisions in my abdomen for the robotic tools to enter. One was a little larger above my navel so the Dr. could remove the prostate mass in one piece. Interested in the picture, private message me and I'll share. You can see the precision of the robotic procedure, including going around the urethra and bladder neck. Mass was sent to pathology and no cancer.

No blood loss. Was released from the hospital 24 hours later. While I was sore in the abdomen area, I only took Tylenol and Motrin to manage pain. The most soreness was 1-4 days after surgery. Never had any pain in the bladder. I guess the bladder does not have pain receptors. Indwelling catheter/foley for 10-days while bladder healed. Catheter removed and I was peeing like you would not believe.

Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.