Loose bowel movements before period

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

Not been on here for a while, but back with a new to me symptom sad I know my period is coming and have been experiencing very loose bowels for the last 3 days ! Just vile, is this normal/common ! So sorry it's such a horrible question ! Many thanks

Deb x

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Debbie!

Yes loose stool is very common during and before menses. I get that and have gotten throughout my entire menstruating years. I still have regular periods but have just about all the peri symptoms talked about here on this forum. A GI doctor told me once that some of the receptor sites for estrogen and progesterone are located in the digestive system so that is why women have bowel issues during this time of the month. If we are in peri or actually in menopause, these hormones are all over the place which is why our digestive system is sent into such a tail spin. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you so much for your very kind and informative reply ! I really appreciate it, it's very reassuring to know it's common and that you are not alone.

Many thanks and take care xx

• Posted

Debbie Peri and Meno / Post meno Females tend to get IBS ,hormones doing it ,this is where you tend to get food allergies etc ,I've had IBS for 10 yrs look at a Fopmap diet . Watch the sugars you have , they cause loose bowels . 
    • Posted

Hi

Thank you for your reply ! It's just very loose I say running out to be honest ! I hope that it's normal to be like that and as you say it's the hormones ! Just another vile symptom to deal with ! Also very draining . . . Literally x

• Posted

Draining is correct Debbie ,I had bloods done last October , thyroid and food allergies ,my thyroid antibodies elevated ,plus food allergies Wheat. Barley , Soy ,Dairy ,Egg whites only , etc If on FB go look up allergy sites , amazing what I've learnt from them . Since all mine began I've had a dry mouth ,another curse for meno ,but it's common again . Im on HRT as from last week ,low dose hopefully that will soon settle things down for me . Miserable way we live , survival more like it . Write down everything you eat and drink ,keep a diary most important. 
    • Posted

Hi Marlene,

I will keep a check on what I eat for sure ! Hope things settle down for you and HRT works for you 😊 X

• Posted

Hi, totally normal and to do with your hormones, Progesterone is the first hormone to dip and it causes constipation, so in peri as you come to a period you are very low on it, hence loose bowel movements!  
    • Posted

Hi Helen,

Thanks so much for that explanation, very grateful for your time. I was just concerned because I'd had it before but only for maybe a day ? This time it's 3 days, morning and evening and sorry to be graphic but literally just runs out ? So that would be considered more than loose ? Oh well just another symptom to deal with I suppose x

• Posted

hello debbie, i think its absolutely normal.Myself and 2 other sisters experienced it and i was once told its due to hormonal changes during the time of your period so i would get worried, take care .
    • Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply ! Yes seems to be pretty common from the comments on here, nice to know I'm not the only one ! Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.