Loose fusion screws

Posted , 6 users are following.

Update so far, I had an x ray about a month ago which showed at least 1 loose screw in my lumbar fusion from 14 years ago and was told I had failed back surgery (fusion never set) and that removal of the screws wasn't an issue but that's all he said and sent me for a CT scan which I have another 5 weeks to wait for results, anyway I received a letter this morning from the consultation regarding the X-ray and it says 

If the screws are loose I will not remove them as it will give her back pain.

Also I will not re fuse her as it didn't work the first time.

However as it stands regarding pain im at level 10, can't walk or stand as my back feels unstable and like I have an axe in my back that I can feel with the tiniest of movement.

So am I going to be left like this or do I have any other choices, I need help on where to turn next or I see no point in going on with debilitating pain, I'm 46 and have no quality of life, I can't go shopping or cook a meal for my family coming in from work, I can't pick any thing up if I drop it, if I take my back brace off I feel like I'm going to collapse on the floor because I can't hold my body weight up. I am so desperate right now, the thought of surgery scared me to death anyway but another user on this sight mentioned an LLIF opp which gave me a bit hope but I'm not sure that is an option anymore, just don't know what to do 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

In this day and age there's always something can be done. It's just deciding what, with out causing further damage or harm. If your not happy with yr consultant you can always choose a second opinion. I'd go for a neurosurgeon at a private hospital. This can be done via the nhs via yr GP. Long term pain relief only affect your internal organs. Not good 

• Posted

Thanks Jessica, I have already contacted a doc in Dublin and one here privately, I'll make app with doc now so i can get a referral. 

My neuro surgeon I'm under at the mo is pals with the surgeon who done my surgery all those years ago, I can't help but think that he just dosnt want to touch someone else's failed work but maybe that's me just thinking to much into it as right now I'm so tired of fighting for answers and it's exhausting just trying to get through each day x

• Posted

It's took them 14 years to diagnose FBSS, if my surgeon had bothered to send me for a follow up appointment this could have been dealt with a long time ago saving my family and me a lot of stress😊

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I had back surgery in Dublin a few years ago which failed, it's a long story! I had a second fusion in November in Belfast but I was just wondering who your Consultant is in Dublin. Linda

• Posted

Mr Kelleher,

why did it fail and how are you now, thank you for replying, I hope you are doing well😊

• Posted

Iv just made app with my GP and hope to be referred to someone here in Newcastle (my home town) he was originally mentioned through my chiropractor so for now I have a few avenues and just hope someone can fix me, I can't go on like this it is having a hugh effect on my mental state 😊

• Posted

He's not the one that done my surgery tho but he is also from there

• Posted

I don't know if an LLIF can be done in the middle of an existing TLIF...no clue.  Mine was done at L2/L3 ABOVE my existing L3-S1 TLIF.  Amazing result from having severe foraminal stenosis.  You need to find a doc who will fix that TLIF...period.  Or fly to Fort Worth...my neuro will do it in a jiffy...  YOU SHOULD NOT LIVE WITH THIS PAIN!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Thank you chiko you have helped me tremendously, I mention to my GP about the LLIF but didn't have a clue, my CT was 3 weeks ago but have to wait another 5 weeks for results.

If I had the money I certainly would see your surgeon as I can see he had done wanders for you, I have no confidence in mine, he told me he would remove the hardware (not a problem..his words) but now saying he can't because it will cause pain, I don't know what more I can say to him about the pain I'm in because he's clearly not listening. I think he just dosnt want to re do someone else's failed surgery, clearly not up to it 😡

• Posted

Back in Brooklyn, this guy would have already had a 2x4 come in direct contact with his left temple.  Geez...  My extensive L3-S1 TLIF took me out of a lot of pain (after 45 years of playing hockey) but the stenosis at L2/L3 was completely unexpected.  The LLIF prevented my doc from having to remove all the metal and then re-fusing me L2-S1.  It's like a miracle op.  One night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab, immediate stenosis relief (except for diminishing nerve pain over the subsequent 3 weeks).  GPs are NOT neurosurgeons.  Gotta see the experts.

• Posted

Ah Ye I know I mentioned it to my GP so he could write it in a letter back to my surgeon, Iv told him I'm not confident with him at all, I have an arachnoid cyst compressing my spinal cord t2-6 and my surgeon told me if he removes i will be paralysed or dead, he's also done a microdisectomy on a friend of mine who now has an scs and had to take early retirement, he's highly regarded but I'm not feeling it 😡

• Posted

Update...I got my results back from the ct scan and apparently the fusion is solid and the screws are fine so I'm not sure why my surgeon would say they were loose, I received a letter about a month ago saying that the screws to the left looked loose?? I am very confused and still in a lot of pain, it has settled a bit but that's only because I can't do anything, if I try and walk more than a couple of mins the pain is unbearable.

So I'm back to square one wandering what is causing this feeling of instability, I have no quality of life just trying to get through each day without aggravating it.

I'm wandering now if it's the faucet joints causing this pain but would have thought it would be seen on the ct scan or MRI? 

I'm still waiting for my appointment with a new neuro doc😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.