Losartan Causing Extreme Fatigue and Dizziness/Vertigo

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I was taking the same dosage of Losartan 50mg. 3 weeks into taking my BP, I started to feel extreme fatigue and dizziness/vertigo, nausea, muscle pain, and headache. I was to the point that I cannot concentrate or drive a car. But at the time, I did not make the connection and kept on taking the BP medication for another 2 or 3 weeks. Then my wife suggested to look into the side effects of Losartan and sure enough, therer are many others that experience the same side effects as I am. I immediately started and well to see my doctor, he did not think Losartan had anything to do with it but was OK for me to stop. It has been be over 6 weeks since I stopped and I still experience these symptons. The extreme fatigue is really killing me. I cannot last a normal day without taking at least one nap. I would have thought, after more than 6 weeks the Losartan would ahve been out of my system by now. What are you thoughts?

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just had my Losartan 50 increased to Losarton/HCTZ 100/12.5MG tablets and I feel just the way you do. I didn't have that when I took the 50 mg but I was tired. I never made the connection either. I am feeling worse everyday.

I am going to talk to my Dr.  tomorrow. I have been on mine a month.

I hope you can see or talk to you Dr. And that you start feeling better soon.

• Posted

Dear David 

I was prescribed cozaar (also known as Losartan) with no apparent side effects. 

On one subsequent occasion my consultant prescribed Cozaar Plus which is the same product but in a higher dose.

Being a recreational pilot I later had two experiences of vertigo when on final approach to land but managed to put the aircraft down safely. I suspected irrational nerves and subjected myself to 2 competence to fly tests which I passed. On a third occasion I had a crash landing following a severe vertigo attack on landing from which I was unable to recover.

At no time did I make the link to the medication which my doctor affirmed would not affect my piloting an aircraft.  

I had had been told to take the pill in the morning when the effects are most telling. The problem was that my crash also occurred early in the morning.....

I decided to take the pill before sleeping and fly the next day. Result: perfect landings every time.

The moral of this tale: doctors cannot always be trusted to tell the whole truth!

• Posted

I take this rediculous pill Cozaar as well Yevgeny...  Doctors know very little about medications and your pharmacist knows much more than the doctors do.. please use their advice they are happy to give it to you freely without the uppity attitude to doctors usually provide... I hope you feel better, good health my friend
  • Posted

When you're on medicine you lose a lot of essential nutrients. I suggest you try a nutrition drink like ensure to supplement your healthy diet.

• Posted

I am so glad i researched and found site site, with the information on lozartan,. I just

took my blood pressure, cause i was feeling very tired, , and by the way i have the same symptoms as all of you, my reading wass 100/65 and never tht low.. I have been wanting to get off this pill, and now i just might, but wanted to be sure it would be safe to do it on my own.  the cardiologist took me off bp meds, like 6 years ago, for the reason of my symptoms, but when my brother bexcame ill with cancer, i took care of him and my bp sky rocketed and thats when i had to be placed on lozartan-50 mg, which really wasnt bringing the readings down, but now that my brother has been gone for 2 years, maybe its time to try to get off this, cause im a very active person and i hate these symptoms.

• Posted

You need a doctor. You need to take your blood pressure and not let it go under 100 top number. You probably still have high blood pressure but may need a lower dose of medicine. Call your doctor.
  • Posted

What he told u to stop just like that. Did he replace u on another medication.

Almost all BP medications have nasty side effects. Mine lasted 4 months until I decided myself to half the medication to half a hyperdix morning and half at night. Now I'm fine and my BP is totally under control. I have also stopped all salts, and 25 mins of exercise and breathing exercise. All is well. Do not let any dr tell u that the medication doesn't cause these nasty side effects because they do. But after a few months your body should adjust to them.

• Posted

Yes, i went to the cardiologist, due to the symptoms, and after the stress and panic attack test, ( i have had a heart murnmur, abnormalty from birthm,, found that out then,), etc, told me i did better than a man my age, ,said the bp pills were causing the lkow bp and symptoms, and told me not to take anym, when i saw my Dr., and we talked about the bp pills, he said if a cardio, took me off and then he had good reason to, and he agreed with his findings, and i was off for about 3-4 years, til i hit a bad emotional time in my life, ( i had been on lysinopril), and went from 10 to 5 mg, cause of the cough symptom, . i was placed on lozartan, cause it also gets rid of excess fluid around the heart, but it did not decrease th numbers like i would like to see, but the symptoms were terrible, i am to active at 70 and cant have that, and my Drs. tell me for my age, i am doing dpretty well, and dont look the age.according to Drs., and friends..
  • Posted

Well i did it, and my bp looks good, so far, i will have ny annual next week, and will talk to the Dr. about the change.  I do monitor it each day eartly in the morning, and later in the day.  I do have them handy in case i notice a badf reading, before i see the Dr.  I just feel that if a cardiologist, took me off f them cause they were causing low readings, then i can do the same with care, and after reading what everyone was saying about lozartan gave me a heads up.  With lozartan, you need to also be careful with your potassium intake.
  • Posted

I was on Cozaar (Losartin) 100mg for two months and had my first panic attack ever while in a supermarket,  driving was difficult and my shoulders would tense up so bad I literally had a death grip on the steering wheel.. the doctor changed my dosage to 50mg twice daily instead of blasting me full force.. so far so good.. so yes the side affects  of these meds often don't show up for a while.. I hope you get to feeling better David and please stay after your doctor to help find something that works for you.. and don't be surprised that doctors know very little about how meds work, your pharmacist is your best friend.. please use their services they are by far a better choice to inform you about medications

• Posted

Hi, I read your post and I do the same thing when I drive. It seems that when someone pass's me or someting I get dizzy. I have gotten so bad that I hate to drive and I also get anxiety in the afternoon. I am on Losartan 75 and take it at night. I talked to my Dr. and she just said it was not a side effect so had me have a MRi. I haven't gotten my results and it has been about a month. I guess I am all  right, but never heard from the DR. and not sure what to do. 

My blood pressure was 104 over 68 this morning, that seems low to me any suggestions.

• Posted

These doctors will not admit these drugs have side effects and try to paas this off to us as if we don't know our own bodies.... she is dead wrong....

If there was a problem with the MRI they would have seen it immediately and said something Nana.... it appears this doctor is sending you for needless testing for something as simple as a side effect... Losartan indeed DOES make people dizzy and weak... I'm sorry you are dealing with this and yes your bp does seem a bit low... 

• Posted

so far since i left the lozaRTAN 50, I HAVE NOT HAD AN EPISODE OF DIZZINESS LIKE I USED TO, I THINK IT MAY TRY TO COME ON IF I DONT EAT ON SCHEDULE, BUT CHECKING MY BLDOOD PRESSURE , IT IS NORMAL AND MY DOCTOR SEEMS OKAY WITH MY DECISION,.SO FAR SO GOOD,

• Posted

Hi David, I normally never reach out to any site or have reason to complain about any medication, but I took ONE (just one) pill of lowest possible dose 4 days ago. I'm STILL DIZZY. On day 2 Doc recommendation was take half a pill every other day. WTF? I can't hardly drive either. What to do? I would ask for some intelligent advice, but so dizzy!

• Posted

the side effects of these medications is rediculous and most doctors don't know what to do other than inscrease the dosage.. I truly believe these medical people are tring to kill us... I have lost all faith in the medical profession...

• Posted

Ann you are so right , those medications can be hell to take ,I have tried about 7 to date and got terrible side effects from them all ,I was then put on Losartan which made me dizzy and ill ,I am now on candesartan ,, yes the same family ,, it is no better and i now have lots of muscle pain dizziness and a dry mouth ! I probably do need medication now .. am fed up but worried as the drs have no answer ! they just think you can take one eventually ! Most i know can so i am at a loss !
    • Posted

Hi Gwen, Thank you for your reply. I told my doctor about the dizziness and fatigue; although, I was already on the lowest possible dose per day, she told me to take half pill of Losartran every other day. Now, after a month or so, have been able to take half pill every day (rather than every other day). I realize taking a new med is always tricky, but it seems to be working (fingers still crossed)....but had to ease into it really, really slowly to avoid nasty side affects
    • Posted

Hi Ann ,thanks for reply , i might ask about doing it like this ! I am glad it is working for you ! I have not taken it today and feel awful but if i take it i feel worse ! I have fibromyalgis and they keep telling me it is that ,however before all this i was not getting much trouble from it !  It is all a nightmare and is wearing me down ! my brother was put on 2 tablets and has no problems at all ! take care Gwen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.