Losartan Causing Extreme Fatigue and Dizziness/Vertigo

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I was taking the same dosage of Losartan 50mg. 3 weeks into taking my BP, I started to feel extreme fatigue and dizziness/vertigo, nausea, muscle pain, and headache. I was to the point that I cannot concentrate or drive a car. But at the time, I did not make the connection and kept on taking the BP medication for another 2 or 3 weeks. Then my wife suggested to look into the side effects of Losartan and sure enough, therer are many others that experience the same side effects as I am. I immediately started and well to see my doctor, he did not think Losartan had anything to do with it but was OK for me to stop. It has been be over 6 weeks since I stopped and I still experience these symptons. The extreme fatigue is really killing me. I cannot last a normal day without taking at least one nap. I would have thought, after more than 6 weeks the Losartan would ahve been out of my system by now. What are you thoughts?

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I have been on Losartan 25mg for approx 4 months and I have felt awful .

Woolly headed, headache and generally unwell. I gave it about 6 weeks to see if it would get better once they got into my system.

It did not so I went back to GP. She said that since they were working, all blood pressure meds have side affects - I should persist.

I have until approx 2 weeks ago I got up one morning, my bp was raised (139/84) and I felt worst than usual. Very wobbly and slightly nauseous with a pressure sensation in my head and left side of my neck.

I went to gp, different one. She said blood pressure was elevated and added in Indapamide 1.5mg. I took it and it definitely lowered by bp (range 100/70 - 124/81). However, the headache has never gone and the pressure in my head became so great, I had to stop taking it after a week.

I am not sure if the real problem is still the Losartan and perhaps I should insist we try something else. Any ideas?

• Posted

My mother is being treated for dysautonomia which affects her blood pressure. She takes losartan and is miserable with extreme dizziness and queasiness. Her treating doctor doesnt make the connection with the losartan but it seems to me to be the case. She feels terrible and i wish i could do something. Is there another med that you found that took the place of losartan?
    • Posted

Helllo , I do empathise with your mother MK , I am on candesartan and am getting the terrible dizziness and nausea , plus muscle pain ! I suffer from Fibromyalgia as well which makes it all worse ! you say she has dysautonomia , i have fibromyalgia and i think these illnesses cause chemical imbalances which then cause intolerance to some tablets ! I am trying to get one to suit me ,i have tried 7 so far ! I was on Ramipril which gave me a cough but no dizziness , had to come off because of the cough ,but look into this class of medicines as it may be she does not get the cough ! There is also Benicar wwhich is the same family as Losartan but someone on here said they could take it with no side effects ! I do hope she feels better soon , best wishes , do let me know if she finds one !
    • Posted

thank you for taking the time to reply.

I will pass on this info to my mom. as you know, it is so difficult to live and function while feeling extremely dizzy.

It has been a difficult process trying to treat this dysautonomia and it is also difficult to watch someone you love suffer.

• Posted

I was wondering if anyone else is losing their hair? I am getting a bald spot at the top of my head and my hair can hardly cover it. I am also very depressed and plus feeling so bad that I can't do this anymore cry all the time. Has anyone else lose hair from Losartan. Iam  seeing another Droctor for a second opinion about the Losartan and also my hair loss. Today I am seeing a eye doctor and having my eyes checked. I hate this medicine and hope that  this new Dr. will listen to me. 

I appreciate all of you and your feed back on Losartan.

Thank you so much!!!

• Posted

I don't know what is causing your hair loss but invest in some good wigs or hair pieces while you figure this out

• Posted

Hello Nana, I hope this finds you feeling better...I am 81 years old and thankfully do not take any medication, I'm fairly healthy. I have a wonderful physician who tells me I should not take "high blood pressure" meds because I have what he has described as "labile" high blood pressure, meaning my numbers are high "on occasion", where they may go over 140/66 or 133/70 or sometimes 135/90. I also do deep breathing exercises which help lower my BP. So sorry you arehaving a hard time now, perhaps you need an anti-depressant which may lower your blood pressure. Have you asked your doctor about that. sometimes they overlook the obvious. Can you bring someone along with you to perhaps be your advocate? Someone you give permission to to discuss alternatives with your current docttor? This has helped many of my friends when they take along a daughter or a son who is more familiar with medicines and treatment options for their parents. I hope you feel better and can get some relief soon. Losarten has many side effects and you should ask your pharmacist, they know more than doctors about pharmacology sometime.d

Good luck!

• Posted

Hello Nana , i too had hair loss while on Losartan so i do think it is the cause ! I have had lots of terrible side effects from a lot of BP tablets and am fed up and crying too ! I am on an antidepressant which does not help ! I would get the tablet changed to something else , and hopefully you will the be ok ! I just hope you do not get the problems i have and are ongoing ! best wishes ,,
    • Posted

Yup, the hair loss is awful and with the fatigue, dry cough, dizziness and headache off the miserble drug and back to Benicar. Wondered why felt all these things then 3 weeks in read side effects and they were all listed as common! Been  off 10 days now and still have hair coming out.😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.