Losartan Muscle cramps

Posted , 22 users are following.

I have been taking Losartan for 2 weeks now (along with 5mgms of Amlodipine) and have started to suffer from painful muscle cramps. Has anyone else had similar problems as I cannot find anywhere if it's a side effect?

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi matron - you need your potassium level checked. Ask ur GP to do this. I believe losartan can waste potassium and when this is low you will get cramp and weakness in muscles.
  • Posted

I started Losartan a month ago having changed from Ramipril; and I have had cramp from time to time, and also a lot of muscle pain in my neck and shoulder. I have not had a blood check for potassium but following this post, I will ask for one.
  • Posted

Hello Rosie

I have been experiencing night cramps in my legs and feet for a long time now, long before starting any BP meds. During an appointment with a consultant yesterday, I thought I'd seek his opinion. He asked if I'd ever had my magnesium levels checked and is now arranging a magnesium blood test. He's also recommended another course of Vit D. I told him that interestingly when taking a course of Vit D for a few months a couple of years ago, at first my night cramps seemed to worsen and when I started doing some research I found that having a Vit D deficiency which needs supplementing, can throw up a magneisum deficiency if in fact we are deficient in that nutrient as well. Hope that makes sense, and perhaps it is something that you can have investigated too?

• Posted

I have Hypertension and have been on Losartan Potassium 100 mg,Amlodipine 100 mg,Bendrofkuthiazide 25 mg for the past 8 years.  During which time I have suffered absolutely mind warping muscle and joint pain.  So much so it became a drudge to walk anywhere and as for going up stairs that brought the pain level to another dimension.

Having undertaken a Google Search on the side affects of these drugs it was mind blowing what I found out. I subsequently went and talked these problems over with my GP.   I would have to say that my GP is a virulent supporter of these types of Drugs and am sure if he could he would perscribe them for Cats , Dogs and Elephants and anything that moved. My discussion with my GP  followed on these lines. I am in so much pain now I can hardly walk and that is effecting my life. I want to come off Amlodipine initially and see how it goes. There was a genuine reticence about taking me off that drug but he did agree to reduce the dose of Amlodipine to 5  mg .  I might add that the GP was under the impression that these cramps and pains had nothing at all to do with the drugs and the underlying cause was probably Arthritis , bit of a coincidence that as soon as the drug regime was lowered the aches and pains started to disappear. 

Within two weeks the muscle and joint  pain magically disappeared from my left leg and the pain on the right leg is easing by the day plus a lot of the joint pains in my hands,fingers,elbow etc have nearly gone altogether. I am due another visit to the GP this coming Tuesday to reassess the situation and I am going to request that he lowers the Losartan does as well and see what other aches and pains disappear.

My Blood Pressure has been taken and recorded 4 times a day for the past three weeks.  If anything the Blood Pressure has reduced since I started taking a lower dose of Amlodipine typical reading is 135/65 Pulse 62. The only noticable difference is that the 2nd reading /65 has crept up about two points on what it was when I was on the 100 mg of Amlodipine. Apart from that I have never felt better, am sorry that I did not take a stronger line with the GP years ago, I could have been pain free and enjoyed life more.

• Posted

My left leg feels like its about to give out!
    • Posted

I only took it for three days. I was eating aovacados and bananas because I heard they were good for blood pressure. I have the worst pain in my legs and hips even though I haven’t take a pill in 6 days. This stuff is poison! My doctor called in another BP med. I’m glad I didn’t take it or I would be Blame this leg pain on the new drug. I exercise a lot. I feel like this aggravated the problem. I a, just drinking lots of water and not working out, hoping my muscles heal. I feel like I ran a marathon.
    • Posted

Im taking losartan 50mg 1 week and i started feeling weak muscle cramps and joint pain some palpitation bp 128/70.. i tried to stop meds for 2 days and i felt better ithink that the meds i causing this effect. When i stop taking med my bp will rise to 140/90 sometimes 150 maybe it the anxiety attack caused by this meds. I wonder if stop taking this med and take natural remedy will do good. Is there any one here whos on med before then take natural remedies and have good result? Need help on this one thanks.
  • Posted

When I sit down or get up from sleeping I feel like my leg is going to give out. Also I have pain in my right side near my kidney area in the morning after I take my medicine.
  • Posted

I have been on Losartan for several years and noticed an increasing issue with pain in my right knee which had now spread to the whole of my right leg and hip area. Similar story to yours, in terms of GP response. However, I followed his suggestion of investigation into the cause of pain.... Had an X-ray, followed by ultra sound, followed by MRI . None found anything obvious other than general wear and tear - age related , so called! Also tried , physio, chiropractor.... Some small relief there but pain returns . So , having exhausted all the conventional routes I now intend to ask my GP for the blood potassium  and magnesium checks... Nothing to loose! I think the conclusion here is to continue to push for another solution and not give in to bland GP responses.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply which I found very interesting. Since I posted my question I no longer take Amlodipine, just Losartan but my dose has been increased to 100mgs. I rarely suffer from cramps anymore but my joints ache, keeping me awake at night. I like you have knee pain that radiates down my leg. This is excruciating at times.However in the last year I have suffered severe joint pain in other joints ie shoulder, knees, hands and feet warranting me to be referred to a consultant and a diagnosis has been made of osteoarthritis following numerous X-rays.You mentioned wear and tear which is what osteoarthritis is. My recent blood test that included magnesium and potassium came back normal. You must let me know how you get on.
  • Posted

I was also experienceing pain from these drugs Losartan100 w/ potassium and Amlodopine 10. I was in so much pain,my hips ,Legs Knees and back.I am 64 and never a pain sufferer...I stopped the Losartan Potassium and finally gave up on the Amlodopine...my pain is all gone. If I had continued taking those drugs I know Athritis meds would be their next bet....I was in so much pain that I could not walk ,sleep was painful and miserable..I can't advise to stop meds but there's something about those meds.One month its one shape then another.I was on Norvasc 10 before but they keep changing my meds...I call it experimenting...If Amlodopine is Norvasc....why the different shapes? Norvasc was good for me...now I am on Beetroot and magnesium oxide w calcium and vitD.....works forme

• Posted

Hi! My leg cramps are so bad at night I can't sleep. Can you tell me more about what you take now? I would love to find a natural way to lower my BP!!

• Posted

I also am taking Losartan , first it was 25 mg and I had muscle cramps in legs .  The doctor increased to 50mg and now the cramps and legs are unbearable.  They do not want you to know the side affects.  I am calling dr and tell her I want off these drugs as they are making my life unbearable.  If not I will take matters into my own hands and cut it in half to see if these eases pain.
  • Posted

I have been having terrible leg cramps at night.  Really more like a muscle lock - they lock up so bad or cramp that I feel like I'm going to break the muscle when I get out of bed and force my foot down.  It's ridiculous.  I have issues with feeling foggy minded too - like slow thinking.  Frustrating !  I am a big one to not feel that a doctor is "God" and if they tell me it's not causing a problem and my body feels it is - I wean myself off the med.  I just thought that since Losartan was helping my BP so well that it wasn't the cause.  I'm confused as to weather Losartan causes too much Potassium in your blood or not enough.  I take Atenaolol also. Been on 100 Losartan and 50 Aten.  They told me Losartan helps protect the kidneys. Not sure why. 

• Posted

I think these side effects are common with most BP medications and very much underestimated by GP's. Remember that your taking these drugs to stop you becoming ill, its a bit of a waste if they themselves are making you ill. Gp's should try to find drugs or combinations that people comfortable on. You should make it clear that you think the drugs are the cause and ask him to think of alternatives. If he's awkward simply say thank you, I just thought I'd discuss it with you before I alter them myself. If they know you have no intention of continuing as you are, they come around & there are a fair number of alternatives.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.