Losartan over-treatment

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on this medication for ten years, firstly 50mgs, (tolerable), and a couple of weeks ago my gp upped it to 100 mgs. I have chronic fatigue resulting from a brain haem several years ago, and this amount is intolerable and worsening my symptoms; fatigue, poor concentration, intense itch upper torso, arrhythmias. I returned to see a different gp who suggested stopping for a couple of weeks to see how symptoms improved. After seven days I felt a new lease of life and elated. However, last night I thought I would take a peak at my BP and it was 177/99, so obviously concerned, I took a tablet last night. BP this morning 135/85 - very effective but now I'm a zombie!! 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI Jane6...I'm sorry to learn you're feeling like a zombie...all because of medication.

I'm certianly not a doctor, but anything I've read about medications specifically says that doubling medication usually only serves to increase side effects. 

You took a peak at your bp & iw was 177/99...were you stressed at the time...did you take the reading within 30min of eating, exercising, showering etc. This can make a big difference. Also if you wait about 20min after taking that reading..there may have been a drop in the numbers. Here's a suggestion you might try...you were taking 50mgs & found that tolerable, but the 100mgs tipped the scales to the other side. Why not ask your doctor about taking something in the middle, say 75mgs. 

You also said you were on the 100mg dose for a couple of weeks...just how long? Sometimes it can take a little longer for your body to adjust.

Please let us know how you get on with this.

• Posted

I have had reactions to just about every drug I have tried so now, when it is suggested a dose is doubled by taking two tablets each time I usually cut the second tablet in half so the effect of the increase is reduced. This is pretty much Mike is suggesting but these days I am wary of dramatic increases in a drug. If you find you are reacting to an increased dose it often helps to lie down and elevate your legs by putting your feet up on a chair. Everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to drugs, finding the best solution is really a matter of trial and error so do not despair, there will be a solution that is best for you.
    • Posted

Thank you Colin, that's helpful advice with the chair. I have a fat knee (leakage of synovial fluid) from carrying something very heavy last week. I consider myself fit and do a lot of dog walks, but have needed to slow down this week and rest, but not with my feet up...will give it a go!
  • Posted

I have been taking 100 milligrams for 2 weeks now and so far no side effects my blood pressure ranges from 135 over 85 to sometimes 165 over 90
    • Posted

jerry53202...you said your bp ranges from 135/85 to 165/90...when does this spike occur? If your at all stressed, it isn't a good idea to take a bp reading, as the reading will very likely be higher than normal.

If it's bouncing up/down over a few weeks, especially after taking the increased dosage, I'd be very inclined to consult with the doctor.

• Posted

thanks Mike I do have an appointment next week to see my doctor. My blood pressure is usually high in the morning and lower in the afternoon
    • Posted

Thanks Jerry, that's useful to know. I cannot tell whether my skin itch is caused by the increase or something else as when I came off the tablets I still had the itch. But one things sure - fuzzy head, terrible fatigue in the mornings, lack of concentration and arrhythmias have been unbearable. Just having that reprieve from taking them for a week made me come alive. When I was first put on losartan I was unconscious in the hospital recovering from a brain haem so I put all symptoms down to that. But just missing a week of drugs and feeling so much better for it, makes me wary of returning to them. Incredible to think how a tiny pill can have such a huge effect on everything!
  • Posted

Well my gp thinks I should swap losartan for amlidopine 10 mgs. She assures me there won't be side effects. I'm nervous after being used to losartan for ten years, albeit the increase to 100 mgs last week which did me in. There doesn't appear to be any positive praise for this medication...having read the forum here, so not confident. I may decide to cut the losartan in half and implement a healthier lifestyle. Any advice?
    • Posted

jane6...I'd never go against what a doctor suggests, but I don't see how she can assure you there won't be any side effects with the Amlodipine!!!!!! How can she accurately say such a thing!!???  Everyone is different, but as you know there are multiple complaints about Amlodipine in this forum. I for one hate the drug, but will be seeing my doctor very shortly to discuss coming off it because we feel it could very well be the cause of my burning feet/legs. Ive put up with this for a year now..enough is enough. 

Why not ask your Pharmacist about weaning off the Losartan instead of cold turkey. Perhaps you don't have to wean off. If my information is correct, I believe Losartan is an ARB..& Amlodipine is a CCB (Calcium Channel Blocker). If this is the case, you can take both medicines at the same time, but I'd certainly consult the doctor before doing such a thing. 

Please get back to us with anything you may need help with.What's why we're here!!

• Posted

Sorry Mike, I didn't see your reply until now. Thank you. I'm sorry to hear about your side effects with Amlodipine. I'm currently reading all about it on the forum, and don't like what I'm hearing. I think I'll speak to our local pharmacist for advice. It was another gp at my practice who recommended the cold turkey approach so I did that. He said to return in 2 weeks. After almost a week had passed, my BP suddenly spiked to 177/96, and I thought "enough's enough" what am doing? Took one of my 100 mgs tablets and knocked myself out!

I am not going to even attempt to take my Amlodipine as I'm a fragile creature at the best of times. I am going to chill, take a 50 mg losartan tablet and Monday morning make an urgent appointment to see a different doctor at the practice. 

Has anyone out there had a good result from taking BP medication? If so, what are you on?

• Posted

The doctor may have told you it was ok to go cold turkey...but when you did that, I'm assuming you didn't have other bp meds to take?? By going a week without any bp medication at all, I'm not at all surprised your bp spiked to 177/96...you obviously rebounded. On the other hand, when I read over your comment once more, do I assume correctly you were to come off the Losartan, THEN take the Amlodipine? If this is correct, then if you did follow the gp's instructions, you wouldn't have been left without taking any bp meds. You see Jane, you can't simply quit taking bp meds, i.e. if you were taking Amlodipine only, then you stopped...the bp would spike..same goes for the Losartan. Please let me know if I'm on the right track here.
    • Posted

Hi Mike, the first gp (we have 12 to choose from at my practice) suggested I come off losartan due to my intense itch to assess if it was losartan responsible. I questioned his wisdom as I was worried my BP would elevate sharply - which is why I had a brain haem in the first place. He answered that a lot of the population walk about with high blood pressure completely unawares, and that I would be fine. Odd I know, especially in light of my brain bleed (several years ago now.) He told me to return in two weeks. I monitored my BP closely during that time, and when it suddenly spiked one evening, decided it best to call my usual gp, who suggested I start new meds - Amlodipine 10 mgs after hearing about my symptoms. I'm holding off taking these, instead I'm resuming losartan 50 mgs - the itch I'll just have to put up with.
  • Posted

The trouble with all these drugs is you never know whether one suits you until you try it. My wife takes amlodipine without any problem whereads the branded version (Istin) gave me severe cramp in my calves but I was able to tolerate the generic version without any adverse reactions. Did you ask your GP why she suggested the change in meds?
    • Posted

Hi Colin, thanks for your reply. I spoke by phone to my gp stating the side-effects of being on 100 mgs losartan. She immediately said she would put me on a different tablet, Amlodipine. She hasnt been my gp for long so I don't think she knows me properly. I had a sinking feeling she was just spontaneously plucking one out of the air. What dose is your wife on? Does she have any side-effects? I've been given 10 mgs. 
    • Posted

Like you I have been on Losartan for a long time (2001) . 100mg for some time. The only side effect after getting used to it is a minor itch under the skin. My GP said that it is Losartans effect on the liver that causes it.
    • Posted

Thank you Derek, but doesn't hearing the effect that its having on your liver make you worry? I know the liver breaks down toxins and if it's compromised it can suffer longterm effects. How often do you have bloods done to check?

I don't have a minor itch, its a major one, so obviously not good.

I think if you could remove the stresses we're all under, my BP would revert to normal. I have too much on the go with family, pets, work, financial worries, etc, etc. That's the culprit!

• Posted

I don't think that the side effect is necessarily actually harming the liver.

Blood tests usually twice a year.

I had an allover under the skin itch when taking Amlodipine and Atenolol in combination. So I don't know which was the culprit. Several cardiologists have tried to put me back on Amlodipine saying that Atenolol must have been the culprit but I refuse it. It seems to be back in favour at the moment after a period in the wilderness.

Have you tried to get referred to a Hypertension Referral Centre?

• Posted

Hi Derek, the Hypertension Referral Centre is a great idea. Have you attended one? I will ask the next gp I visit, because I would really like to get to the bottom of my hypertension. I know I've always suffered anxiety so I produce high cortisol, which raises BP.

You say Amlodipine is back in fashion, and is this because its a cheaper drug to push. I'm reading "horror stories" on the forum.

I noted down a while ago a drug called clonidine - a sympatholytic medication. It was recommended on a site for stroke patients, and as I had a brain bleed (classed as one, although I beg to differ on that!) it also aids areas effected - poor concentration etc. I might ask the pharmacist tomorrow. Also looking in to the DASH diet, supplements, exercise. I'm having quite a busy night researching options. 

• Posted

I am going to a hypertension referral centre at the present time you should Google for one near you. NICE guidelines say you can be if your BP is consistently over 168.

It's a slow process as they are thin on the ground and appointments are months apart. My third one will be next month. So far I have had blood tests, two 24 hour urine collections an MR scan and a 24 hour BP monitor. Sods law, the BP monitor was on one of my good days when my BP averaged 130/68 whereas at home over the month it was 152/77.

• Posted

My wife is on 5mg and does not have any side effects so it suits some people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.