Losartan over-treatment

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on this medication for ten years, firstly 50mgs, (tolerable), and a couple of weeks ago my gp upped it to 100 mgs. I have chronic fatigue resulting from a brain haem several years ago, and this amount is intolerable and worsening my symptoms; fatigue, poor concentration, intense itch upper torso, arrhythmias. I returned to see a different gp who suggested stopping for a couple of weeks to see how symptoms improved. After seven days I felt a new lease of life and elated. However, last night I thought I would take a peak at my BP and it was 177/99, so obviously concerned, I took a tablet last night. BP this morning 135/85 - very effective but now I'm a zombie!! 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

A quick update...spoke to another doctor at the practice who advises I stay with losartan 50 mgs - original dose - and implement life style changes (exercise/diet). He said I should never have been prescribed Amlidopine 10 mgs, and that its normal practise to start @ 5 mgs. I'm to report back to him after christmas. I'm happy with this and must commit to changing my diet and stepping up the exercise.
    • Posted

jane6. If you're happy with this, then perhaps it's the right route for you to take. I'd be inclined to monitor the bp though...then if you see it's not coming down, or Heaven forbid, goes up; then you can get back to the doctor. Anything I've heard is that people are usually started on 5mgs of the Amlodipine, NOT 10. Double dosing only encourages side effects. Please keep us in the loop.
  • Posted

The latest doctor you have spoken to seems to be much more sensible.  The fewer drugs you have to take the better and exercise can have a signicant effect on BP. Stick with the new regime but keep monitoring your BP, as has already been suggested.
  • Posted

Hi Jane

I seem to suffer from side effecs too partly because of some brain damage like yourselves. Its even worse for me, as some days I will be dumb/off balance/ and zombie like. This happens when I need to take a large dosage of beta blocker. It certainly isnt fun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.