Losartan = Stomach Pain?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I've been taking 25mg of Losartan every morning for the past 5 months. 4 months ago I had a discomfort in my lower left abdominal area, not a pain just discomfort. Now that same discomfort has begun to move around, lower left one day, lower right the next, upper right the next, and so on.  I have been doing some research and now find that Losartan may be the cause of this. I have tried most everything to alleviate the discomfort but nothing works. 

It doesn't matter what I eat it is no better or worse. 

It doesn't matter if I drink caffeine or not it is no better no worse.

I'm fully functional it is not debilitating at all, it's just uncomfortable.

When I have a bowel movement, it is no better or worse (sometimes it feels a little better but it's constantly there)

I'd say my level of discomfort is typically a 2 on a 1-10 scale.

Anyone who has had stomach pain related to Losartan, I would be interested in hearing your opinion as I am currently at a loss. Also, does it ever go away? I was taking Lisinopril but the damn cough was more than I wanted to deal with......

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

this is extremely comforting to me because I just started losartan and have the same exact abdominal distress. it's not painful but it is there. it's better when I stand up, but it can be felt when I sit down and kind of fold my body. I can't think of any other reason why this started other than the losartan. everything you described was the same as me. I did have a touch of diarrhea today, it wasn't awful, but that means the stomach is in some distress. so I really appreciated you writing your concerns

• Posted

I have the same symptoms as you Robert. What did you do to fix this and did it work? just quit Losartin?

thank you

• Posted

Also. this might be tmi ,but does it change the consistency of your bowel movements? like make them narrower or shorter

• Posted

So comforting to read this as I now know it's not just me.

I take 25mg Losartan. This is like the 6th BP medication I've tried and I get side effects on all of them. I get this discomfort that's sometimes in my mid-sides then sometimes in my back - it feels like air bubbles maybe. Doesn't hurt but is not pleasant. I also suffer with constant burping on this medication which I believe is because of a relaxed LES.

Has anyone found anything to sort these problems?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.