Skip to content
Ad
in this discussion +69 following
Stacy Stacy

Losartin Potassium

Hi I would love to hear from any one who is on Losartin Potassium for High Blood Pressure. I am a very fit 56yr old who is working in a professional job that needs a clear head and plenty of energy. However after three years of constant anxiety I was diagnised as having high Blood Pressure following three weeks of serious nose bleeds, and was prescribed Amlodopine. This worked well on lowering my blood pressure but had such bad side effects that I finally persuaded my GP to stop them . I am now taking Losartin Potassium 25mg and where as the side effects are not as bad as with the Amlodopine ,I am still experienceing severe tiredness and feel muddled and confused at times. I have only been on them for a week now and have to go back to my GP in three weeks time, but even though I am back in work I am not functioning the way that I should be. I would appriciate it if I could hear from any one else who is on this medication because I have gone from a very active person to one who is struggling to get through the day . Thank you

219 Replies

Next
  • Hoggie Hoggie

Hi Stacy i have been taking 100mg about one year now i have Chornic Kidney Disease i have been on Amlodipine did not like them i get tired all the time take care Hoggie

• colin1147 colin1147 Hoggie

Creatinine increase with Losartan Potassium

100 mg a day of losartan potassium increased my creatinine marker from 164 to 193. So watch out if you have kidney problems ! My local surgery - for years - has been telling me Losartan is good for the kidneys ......but probably not for me !?

• MrsO-UK Surrey MrsO-UK Surrey colin1147

Hi Colin

Until recently I had been on 50mg Losartan Potassium daily for about 2 years.  My creatinine quickly rose from normal (49.00-90umol/L) to around 110.  My renal consultant told me that they expect to see a rise on this drug and weren't concerned about 110, although a couple of years previously Candesartan had been stopped for the same reason.  However, I am particularly sensitive to side effects from medication and now the consultant is desperate to find something to get my high BP down so that my kidney function doesn't drop any further as a result.  The Losartan was doubled to 100mg in divided doses twice daily about 3 weeks ago when Doxazosin had to be stopped (skin biopsy showed that the two medications together was the cause of a 24 hour all over body itch.  My first blood test after 10 days of doubling the Losartan showed an increase in creatinine from 110 to 119 and an increase in urea to 12.9 (normal range 2.50-7.80).  My latest eGFR result was 39 (CKD 3b).

What I would like to ask is 1) whether your creatinine jumped from 164 to 193 over a very short term on Losartan 100, or whether it was a slow increase over a longer term;  2) did the Losartan 100 normalise your BP;  3) what medication has replaced Losartan?

I do hope things have improved for you creatinine-wise.

You may not get a reply from Hoggle as the post was over a year ago.

• kirsty2016 kirsty2016 colin1147

Exactly the same happened to my father he was told Losartan was best medication ever. Within 10 weeks of use his creatinine went from 157 to 275. 6 weeks after stopping Losartan his creatinine dropped to 233 not back to what it was but definitely better. He now on amlodipine 5mg.

• colin1147 colin1147 MrsO-UK Surrey

Hi Mrs O - Long story. My high blood pressure goes back to 2002. The first drug tried was Enalapril, which gave me a 2 hour `looose bowel' ! (I am a Coeliac though) After that I went onto Amlodipine until about 2006, when my creatinine and BP started to take off. Since then all the BP drugs* have been thrown at me, at max dosage, with fairly marginal effect :-(   {* Losartan Potassium, Indapamide, Lercanidipine, Doxazozin } However, last summer I had a minor stroke, now mostly recovered. Blood tests around that time gave a creatinine of 185-200.  I did a web search and, off my own bat, knocked off the Losartan 4 days before a blood test. The GP seemed amazed that the creatinine result was a 164 ! At a stroke follow up I mentioned this to the young Consultant - who then heard  a `bruit' in a proably a renal blood vessel. Tests continue on this aspect. This may, or may not, be the cause of my high BP and declining renal function ! We shall see.

Regards.

Colin, Snap!  Over the last couple of years I've been on Amlodipine, Candesartan, Diltiazem, Ramipril, Indapamide, Bisoprolol, Doxazosin and Losartan, the latter now increased from 50mg to 100mg.  I have also got a prescription for Moxonidine.  Haven't started it yet as I'm waiting to see whether the increased dose of Losartan will bring back the daily 24 hours itch from head to toe which, according to skin biopsy and dermatologist, was caused by Doxazosin triggering the side effect in the Losartan.  Still a couple of itchy areas from time to time but can live with that if it doesn't get any worse.  I've yet to summon up the courage to take my blood pressure but will have to monitor it in the next week or so before my next appointment with the renal consultant.

It would be wonderful if your young consultant who heard the bruit has hit on something which can be treated.  I remember my renal consultant mentioning a bruit in one of my legs at my first consultation but he didn't seem concerned about it and I didn't pursue it - perhaps I should have done, but perhaps it was just due to a leg vein.

Lots of good luck wishes to you with your ongoing investigations. 

Hi, MrsO - thank you for the kind words. Firstly, I am quite an `allergic' type. Also like you, I have had the `drive you round the bend' itching, and some eczema. This was after 4 months on Clopidogrel 75 mg, an anti clotting drug, prescribed after my minor stroke last Summer. And yes I was taking Losartan 50 mg and Doxazozin 4 mg at the time. Right now I am off Losartan, and have been switched to 75 mg aspirin for the clotting side of things. Also, I have a high quailty (£60) `Testo' hygrometer, and with the cold weather, the internal house humidity has been down to 30 to 35%. ie pretty `dry', which does not help with dry, itchy skin. I mention the quality/cost of the hygrometer as some of the cheaper ones are very inaccurate.

Anyhow, all the best with your BP meds. Regards, Colin

Thank you, Colin. Are you sure the itching was due to the Clopidogrel and not the Lodartan together with the Docazosin as in my case? Our son is on Clopidogrel and statins following a stroke a few years ago....at the age of just 39! A healthy, fit young man who played tennis, league football and went to the gym. No cause was found - just a slightly enlarged ventricle which was subjective, i.e. he may have been born with it. Luckily, bodily he is fine but unfortunately his eyesight was affected to the point that the DVLA say he doesn't meet their guidelines. Still plays tennis and his job involves the computer, so blessings well and truly being counted!

For your dry, itchy skin, I recommend just Dermol instead of soap in the shower and also to moisturise with afterwards.

Hi Mrs O. No not totally sure. But I had been on Losartan 100mg and Doxazozin 2mg for 2 or 3 years .... maybe 4 mg was over a threshold?  Itching is on the Clopidrogel side effects list though. As for statins, they cause me muscle aches; I knocked them off, Doc was not surprised.... Of the people I know, about 50% have issues with statins. The other 50% - no issues. Thanks for the Dermol info. Regards, Colin

Colin, yes perhaps the increased dose of Doxazosin triggered the itching side effect, but if itching is also listed for Clopidogrel, then who knows? Perhaps it was even a combination of the three. However, if the itching mostly ceased after stopping the Clopidogrel, then you found the answer for you.

I was taking Losartan 50mg quite happily for a couple of years (the only pill that didn't produce any discernible side effects) but it failed to have any effect on my blood pressure so various other pills were added in succession - all caused problems even at very low doses. Doxazosin was added a year last Christmas and I became aware of a daily (usual evening) itch shortly afterwards. I had known that itchy skin can be a symptom of low kidney function so I mentioned it to my renal consultant at my next appointment but he just shrugged his shoulders. It then gradually escalated and drove me mad day and night. Thank heavens for the dermatologist and the skin biopsy....and thumbs down to the renal registrar who told me I should not assume that the itch was caused by the BP pills when I told him the dermatologist suspected they were the cause whilst waiting for the biopsy!

Yes, many people experience muscle pain with statins. I'm involved with a lot of sufferers with an inflammatory autoimmune condition, some of whom are convinced they succumbed to the illness soon after commencing statins. I hate to think what my reading is after my indulgences over Christmas!

• derek76 derek76 MrsO-UK Surrey

Did you see the dermatologist NHS or privately ? My GP and NHS dermatologist when I mention my itching both say to take an antihistamine. With my enlarged prostate it would very likely cause retention so I refused.  

• MrsO-UK Surrey MrsO-UK Surrey derek76

Derek, I had no choice but to see him privately.  I also took antihistamine but not the ones bought over-the-counter - they didn't touch the itch.  I was prescribed a strong antihistamine by the GP which I took for 2 months, just trying to get by on the lowest dose because, like you with your prostate problems, I felt concerned about the effect they may have on my kidney.  After the GP's antibiotic creams and lotions and potions achieved nothing, she wanted to refer me but said there was an 18 week wait.  I'd had enough after a few months of the worst itch ever with little sleep and I was desperate for relief so I got a letter of referral from her and saw a dermatologist at a private hospital in Windsor.  Quite a small monthly payment is involved and, if they agree the request, they allow so much money towards one private consultation and a follow-up and any tests/investigations involved up to a maximum amount - in this latter case, they allowed up to £1,500, with the advice to get all blood tests done through GP first so that the huge cost of those doesn't eat into the allowance.  I didn't use that amount on this occasion, but it is such a comfort knowing that they are there when it seems nigh on impossible to get NHS consultations in under 3 months these days.  I thoroughly recommend the scheme.

You can check out all your drugs for compatibility on the drug website - can't give the link here or it will disappear for moderating! Also, the best place for advice is a good pharmacist who will check them all out for you - they know so much more about drugs than GPs.

How very unhelpful, Derek. Did make me giggle though! I must admit that I think most of the soaps and shower products are quite unkind to the skin these days - so many additives in the way of perfumes, SLS, parabens etc.

Actually I did not pay him! He had a lot of patients waiting and he kept me waiting for about three hours. No bill came and I thought that he had been ashamed to send it. Over a year later it came with a letter saying they his PA had not realised that I was 'Self Pay' and had sent the request for payment to BUPA. who had just sat on it.

I phoned him and said that I thought that he had not sent it due to the long wait. He said that he gets all the files in time order and calls the patients in from that. I told him that when I spoke to his secretary for about the third time I noticed my file in her tray on her desk and pointed it out to her.

He asked in light of that would I be prepared to pay half the amount.  I agreed but the amended bill never came.  

Derek, hubby seems to remember seeing on some paperwork that it's about £7.50 per person per month to join at present. We pay something over £20 a month but that includes our son still even though he's long since flown the nest and has his own cover. But, as I said in my earlier post, we have been members for years - around 40 years.

I could probably not join now as like travel insurance they take age and health into conisderation. I had heard of them in the past but not recently although most dentists have such schemes.

The next one I went to see was better and an instant diagnosis for a practically all over rash. 'Drug induced rash, are you taking Lisinopril' 'Stop it and it will be gone in three weeks'

Either smart or my GP had listed my medications in his letter. He said that I had not had much out of the consultation so as an extra he referred me to his NHS clinic for allergy testing and a follow up appointment at it. That was when I found that I was slightly allergic to cinnamon and very allergic to formaldehyde. 

Well,after my recent itch/rash experience and hearing about your experience on Lisinopril, I will now know to avoid that if it's offered.  I'm ok with cinnamon, turmeric etc, but know that I'm allergic to the antibiotic, Neomycin.  Luckily, someone advised me that it's in the shingles vaccine and I'm so grateful for being forewarned to avoid that vaccine as I don't trust the surgery to pick up on it!

Correction! I just checked my list and it was Enalapril that caused the rash. Lisinopril was the one that gave me the classic swelling of my throat and lips. Actually I have had a problem with ever 'pril' prescribed.. Ramipril and Perindopril.

I used to take Turmeric but had to stop it as it does not go with Warfarin.

My doctor turned up his nose at the way I used to take Turmeric. I sprinkled it on my cereal and put a spoonful in my hot milk at night.  

Latest Creatinine is 187, up from 164. Doc has recently put me on Aspirin 75 mg and Omeprazole 20 mg. Trouble is 187 gives a GFR of 31, which is borderline for using contrast media in an MRI scan. Anyone else been in similar situation ? (my BP meds are Indapamide 2.5 mg, Lercanidipine 20 mg, and Doxazosin 4 mg) Regards to all.

Colin, there is one contrast medium that can be used in an MRI scan more safely than another where kidney disease is an issue.  However, I'm sorry I can't remember which contrast my renal consultant recommended.  I wonder if the National Kidney Federation helpline can help you here?

You're lucky if you can take Omeprazole - my bowel reacted adversely to a couple of the 'zoles' in spite of the fact that they were prescribed to actually protect my stomach from long term steroids at the time.  'Live' yoghurt did the job beautifully for me, plus a few squeezes of lemon juice in warm water as my first drink of the day.

Indapamide caused quite a large drop in my eGFR in just a couple of weeks and had to be stopped, so do check that that isn't an issue for you.  And, as I've mentioned before, my Doxazosin has recently been stopped due to the unbearable body itch it caused when added to Losartan.  But then, I am my renal consultant's "awkward patient"!rolleyes

Hi Mrs O - yes, I have been told that I am a `complex' patient. Mind you, the Sister on the stroke ward last summer said that  I `looked pretty good' despite that `complex' description!  I nearly gave her a hug, but thought that would have been entierly non PC !!  Hey Ho, life is such a lottery, especially with Health issues.

Mrs O. I was on Pantoprazole for about 5 years quite a while ago. Then I developed sore breasts - it took 6 months to remove one drug at a time - Pantoprazole seemed to be the cause. I was switched to Ranitidine, which stopped the soreness, but was recently put back on Omeprazole for a trial .......

Colin, I do know others who take Omeprazole without any problem, so hopefully that will be your experience too.  But do have the 'live' yoghurt I mentioned - it's wonderful for lining the tummy.  Manuka honey is also good for any esophagus problems, though very expensive.

Then perhaps he just didn't fancy his cereal and milk being 'tainted'!  We add it to all suitable meals such as casseroles, risottos, etc - my neighbours sprinkle it on their porridge.  Everything in moderation though.

Oh that isn't good good that Manuka honey interfered with your blood glucose levels.  How much were you having?  It's strange because I know someone with diabetes who has a daily teaspoonful of Manuka honey without worsening her sugar levels. Perhaps it doesn't affect those already diabetic and on treatment - who knows?

Really, all yoghurt is 'live' but they can have slightly different good bacteria ingredients.  I have a fat-free version, sugar-free (apart from the natural lactose) from yeo valley.

I get the Yeo Valley one as well. I have always eaten yoghurt so with my ongoing stomach problems it has never helped me. Asda have one that is supposed to be good as also less sugar content but Asda is not convenient to get to. H & B had one but they stopped stocking it and when they did have it was sold out quickly.

I only took about half the recommended quantity of Manuka as it was rather sickly to take before meals. When we were in NZ much of the scenery we passed was boring Manuka forest.

My then GP said that I was glucose intolerant but the rules are now changed and only T2 exists for my readings. My readings are only slightly over the top, well down from the Manuka 14 mmol/l it was in 2004.

For acid reflux you had to take about two tablespoons of it half an hour before a meal to coat the esophagus. One was enough for me.

I think that it was the Daily Mail that said there is a lot of fake and mislabeled honey about.

Crikey, much too expensive to take two tablespoons!

Of course there must be plenty of fake Manuka out there these days.  When I first started buying it some 20 or more years ago, there were only two different brands on the shelves in H&B, now there are loads.  Interestingly, the original brands are now sky high prices, whereas all the later additions are so very much cheaper - fake?  Maybe.  It should have UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) on the jar which guarantees the anti bacterial strength of the contents.

Aldi now have an economy brand at £7.99.

But prices could soar on news from NZ this week.

"The big news of the day was the pretty disappointing profit warning from Comvita," said Brad Gordon, investment adviser for Hobson Wealth Partners. Comvita ended down 17% at $6.50. Earlier Monday the manuka honey products maker warned annual earnings will tumble by about two-thirds as the nation's unseasonably wet and windy weather saps the honey harvest and slow sales via China's informal trading channels"

Dear MrsO. Long time since we had a `chat'. After much faffing around with various bits of the NHS, I have been diagnosed with `bilateral renal stenosis' ie the plumbing from my aorta to my kidneys is partially blocked, on both sides. Hence the high creatinine readings, and also my high blood pressure, as the kidneys have `feedback' to the heart. A low blood flow through the kidneys means they ask for more blood to be pumped, hence causing high blood pressure. I am awaiting a stent procedure, but have concerns that they might want to put me back on Clopidrogel, which I suspect last November caused me major skin irritation and  rash - I was then put on 75 mg aspirin, and the rash resolved after 10 days. I remain off Losartan, but they did try Bisoprolol - I came off that after a month as I felt dreadfully tired on it. Hey ho - more consultations await me :-(

Hi Colin, well it's good to hear that it sounds as though they have got to the bottom of things with you and that there is a remedy.  As far as Bisoprolol is concerned, I had to come off that too as it caused a significant drop in my sodium levels leading to awful fatigue.  Lots of good luck wishes for the forthcoming surgery - wouldn't it be great if at least you no longer needed treatment for high BP.

• Stacy Stacy

Hi Hoggie I hope that you are ok. I have been on the Lorsartin now for over three weeks and I am getting used to them. I am back in work and even took myself off to the Isle of Whight for a mini break which I could never have done on the Amlodipine. So I am very pleased that I went back to my GP and had my mediction changed .

Take care Anastasia

• almac almac

Hi Stacy, glad to hear you are getting used to losartan, I'm 55 years old and on 50 mg losartan, and plus other medication to help me cope with my chronic blood pressure. I was tired at first but to be honest without them I doubt if I would be alive, so the benefits of hypertension medication outweighs the negative side of the medication.

Take care and the best of luck.

• Stacy Stacy

Hi Moonbrush, thank you for your reassuring comments. I am finding Losartan much easier to cope with so will stay with it. As you say if they work then the benefits do out way the consequences of the results of Hypertension. My blood pressure is staying down which is great and I am now taking a different approach to life. However can you advise me as to the best time of day to take the medication. I take it in the morning but this is a problem when I am working nights because I becaome very tired when I take them before a night shift. I suppose I will have a chat with my GP and see what she has to say. Any way thanks again and I hope that you keep well .

Bye for now Anastasia

• almac almac

Hi Anastasia,

You should go and have a very serious chat with your GP, and please don't put it off, go as soon as possible, this medication is far to serious not too! I've been taking Losartan for a considerable time now with other hypertension medications and am leading a full active life. Don't let hypertension become a problem, what I mean by that is, don't worry too much about it, just keep a eye on your pressure from time to time, and enjoy life... Now please go and see that Doctor of yours..

Bye for now and take care Alan

• Stacy Stacy

Hi Alan thank you for your advice . I will have a chat with my GP about my worries and then I should be right. I am going to enjoy my life because I am now glad that my BP is under control and not in control of me . It is a strange condition and I can understand why they call it the silent killer because there are very little symptoms. However when I think about it I was not my self for a long time but put it down to the stress of my parents being ill and passing away within 15 months of each other. Still I am now feeling much better in myself even though I really miss them . I am a very positive person and it takes a lot to bring me down so now it is upwards and onwards .

Take care Anastasia

• Vanessa1 Vanessa1

I am 42 and was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 33. I have been on most blood pressure medications and those that I liked did not agree with me. I have been taking Losartan Potassium 100mg for almost 3 years now and it is the only medication that I feel does not affect me mentally - in fact, prior to taking it I found it very diffifult to concentrate and had a feeling of fuzziness in my head for a long time - I believe this medication has actually made a huge difference to my concentration levels and energy - lots of other medications made me feel very tired. The only problem I think may be due to taking this medication is having dry skin - it may not be, but I have only had dry skin since taking it. I am considering changing tablets to see it my dry skin disappears, but this is the only medication that I have generally felt good on. I did stop taking previous medications as I was not happy with the side effects, but I ended up with a heart murmur due to a damaged valve because of it, so I know how important it is to take medication. I put my high BP down to stress also, as I have always been very fit and healthy otherwise. I would recommend Losartan to help with your energy levels and concentration - just from my own personal experience, as most others make you tired.

• pinkrose pinkrose mal78578

Hi, just to say that last week I too was getting intense itching on my hands and feet.Also a cough started suddenly and I stopped being able to pee. I have been on Losartan Pottassium 50mg for about 2 years (previously on Ramipril which gave me a constant cough).I asked my doctor if it was the Losartan causing my itching and affecting my kidneys and stopping me weeing, but she said I had a urine infection.She tested a sample and then sent it off to the lab.However it came back clear. I still suspected the Losartan so decided to stop it for a few days (I have a blood pressure meter to keep an eye on things).Well almost straight away the itching stopped and the cough and after a couple of days I could pee properly again.I am walking loads to try and keep my blood pressure down.I will speak to my Doctor and tell her what I have done and that I'm convinced its the Losartan. I would however NOT recommend anyone to stop taking their medication without first asking their Doctor.I did it in desperation as I couldn't get a doctors appointment.

• derek76 derek76 pinkrose

I get a vague all over under skin itch. When I switched to Ramipril that did not suit me the itch went. Back on Losartan it came back. My GP says that it is caused by a Losartan effect on the kidneys.

Side effects from BNF the Doctors prescribing manual:

vertigo; less commonly gastro-intestinal disturbances, angina, palpitation, oedema, dyspnoea, headache, sleep disorders, malaise, urticaria, pruritus, rash; rarely hepatitis, atrial fibrillation, cerebrovascular accident, syncope, paraesthesia; also reported pancreatitis, anaphylaxis, cough, depression, erectile dysfunction, anaemia, thrombocytopenia, hyponatraemia, arthralgia, myalgia, renal impairment, rhabdomyolysis, tinnitus, photosensitivity, and vasculitis (including Henoch-Schönlein purpura)

I'll PM you a link to another site listing more side effects.

• pinkrose pinkrose derek76

Thanks Derek. As it happens I have had Tinnitus the past 6 weeks.My Doctor first said it was caused by fluid behind the ear drums and gave me a steroid spray.That only gave me a sore throat.My other Doctor said it could be due to the supposed water infection.Antibiotics given.The itch as you describe felt like it was under the skin and was unbearable. I suggested to my Doctor that it was all to do with the Losartan but she said no. So I myself stopped it and all symptons except the tinnitus have gone.I must see the Doc again. I may still need blood pressure medication but have had side effects so far from several.Ramipril gave me a constant cough, palpitations and cramps .Good luck to everyone,especially Derek who replied. It has confirmed for me that I was not imagining my symptons were due to Losartan.Good luck all.

• derek76 derek76 pinkrose

Over the years I have had Atenolol (the very worst and too much to relate) combined with Amlodipine.

Lisinopril, caused my lips to swell and a blister like swelling to come up on my throat.

Securon, severe constipation and problem with heat and sunlight.

Enalapril, a rash that caused me to privately see a skin specialist. 

Bedrofluazide, reduced my urine output and gave me pelvic pain.

Irbesartan, Ramipril and Perindopril virtually turned me into a Zombie. I was going around in a fog with a headache and feeling so light headed that about to pass out. They also had me so tired that I could sleep at the drop of a hat. Even in the front row of the theatre at Priscilla Queen of the Desert and that is not a quiet show.

Reading the side effects again I must question my GP about my recent  sleeplessness and the fact that I have been back in atrial fibrillation since early April.

• pinkrose pinkrose derek76

Wow, you've tried 'em all ! I began on Lisinapril but as soon as I took the first one I had terrible stomach pains, nausea and really bad head. My doctor out me on Ramipril which I took for a few years but had a constant irritating dry tickly cough that would always come on when I needed my voice ! It would end up with me coughing so bad it was like whooping cough.Eventually I was put on Losartan a couple of years ago.Until recently I had no problems but then I began getting  a jumpy heart as I lay down to sleep which was quite scary.It would settle after about 5 minutes but not nice.Then I woke one day about 6 weeks ago with Tinnitus. Went to the Doctor 3 weeks ago who said fluid behind the ear drums and gave me a steroid nasal spray. Good I thought, this will sort it.No such luck.Got a bit worse and I got a painfull sore throat despite gargling with water after I used the spray.Then about 10 days ago I began getting terrible itching, as if under the skin, on my heels and palms at night. Previously I had found my lower legs getting unbearably hot at night (strange as I also have Raynauds and have cold feet).Then the dreaded cough began and unable to pee hardly anything. Saw another Doctor who suggested urine infection and gave antibiotics.Urine test turned out negative. I decided it had to be the Losartan and as I have my own BP meter thought I would give it a try giving up the Losartan (there were no appointments to see my Doctor for another week !).I have been going for 3 decent walks a day and my blood pressure hasn't got any worse yet but I will be checking with my Doc. All I can say is my tinnitus is now quieter ! The itching stopped a day later ! The cough also stopped a day later ! I can also pee again ! I also don't have a jumpy heart. I feel like a naughty child for going against my Doctors but it must have been the Losartan.Where I go from here I am not sure. If my blood pressure gets no worse maybe my Doctor will agree to wait a bit and see, but I am between 114/75 and 148/85 so some would say I should be on medication, but my BP is no different on or off medication.I have found walking gently in the countryside the best for lowering blood pressure. I eat lots of veg and no processed food, but think I eat a varied diet, low in salt.Fingers crossed all is wellas can be.Good luck Derek and hope you find the right solution for you.

• Vanessa1 Vanessa1 mal78578

Haven't used the email associated with this for years. If you have severe itching of feet and hands it can be a sign of liver damage. I had the same problem when I was pregnant with my twins - couldn't stop the insane itching on my feet, hands and arms - thankfully that was just because one of the twins was blocking off the gall bladder to the liver and my urine was the colour of dark coffee - they told me initially that my liver could be failing :-/ - thankfully it was just that my twins were getting too big for my body :-) xx

• almac almac

To anyone who takes hypertension medication and may be thinking of stopping their medication, please don't, always, always see your doctor first. After all the side effects may be awful but the consequences of stopping your medication far outweighs that. Hypertension medication is for life I'm sorry to say but factual.

Vanessa I'm afraid sometimes high blood pressure comes on without any reason, yours could so easily be 'essential hypertension', that just means hypertension sets in without any reason. Anyway good luck to you.

• jane6 jane6 almac

Hi Almac, have you heard the link between pre-eclampsia (in pregnancy) and life long hypertension? This is what I had and was told it could well lead to hypertension later. This was in Sweden but I can't remember the reasons given. It turned out correct as from that time it seems I've always had it!

• Vanessa1 Vanessa1 almac

Hi Almac, yep that is what Dr's used to tell me too, but they only know what studies have shown. Stress is now implicated in many health problems ifrom BP to stress. Always remember a consultant caridiologist telling me about 12 years ago that Beta Blockers was extremely safe and had been used for about 20 years after I complained that it was making me feel extremely depressed, then about 2 months later it was all over the news that it was linked to type 3 Diabetes and they stopped recommending it as a first choice for high BP. My next consultant cardiologist actually agreed that stress was probably a reason for high BP in many people, although it hadn't been officially declared at that stage. He knew what he was talking about and was the best consultant cardiologist I have ever met. The previous female one was extremely condescending and dismissive. He was much older and more experienced than her. I was in the gym 5 days a week and ate an extremely healthy diet for years when I was diagnosed - so it wasn't as though my weight or diet had anything to do with my high BP. I was a full time working single mother with 3 toddlers and was exhausted most of the time. The stress of bringing up 3 young children alone and being the only one repsonsible for putting a roof over their head was immense - hard enough bringing young children up alone without the financial issues to deal with. Yep, chronic stress was the reason for my high BP without a shadow of a doubt.

• Vanessa1 Vanessa1

Moonbrush, doctors always used to state that stress would not be the cause of high blood pressure, I firmly believe that chronic stress over a long period suffered by myself was to blame for my high BP - a consultant cardiologist also stated that he believed stress had probably caused my high blood pressure. Doctors just cannot prove that stress may be a cause, which is why they cannot confirm or deny it may be the cause. Having lived with the knowledge of having high BP for almost 10 years I understand a lot more about the problem now. The effects of chronic stress on our bodies is very much underestimated - although more recent studies are beginning to associate it with various health issues sufferers experience.

• JohnWest JohnWest Vanessa1

Ive been on many and have had complications from Lung Rattles almost like pneumonia on Coreg to left ear tinnitus (constant for life) from a water pill drying my ear out??  ... now on Losartan.. have gained 15 pounds (ok.. maybe holiday eats.. but.. satiety might be affected?) have an itchy left foot, and feel sort of dizzy at times.. plus the couch is very appealing.. where I usually am all over the place.  At any rate, the stress that comes from the outside is constant.. we do get a choice of how to deal with it.. A healthy sense of self preservation might seem like apathy, but, we can't all respond to every stimulus.  To be, hypertension is linked to emotions... i guess by heart rate and perhaps vasoconstriction?  At least my hands and feet are warm.. I guess i have good perfusion :^).    Now that holidays are about over, its time to get walking and so on back on track.  The human body is pretty astounding. Hope it can cope with the 100 mg Losartan that my Dr thinks is so vital.  The Dx of "essential hypertension" to me is a real cop-out.. Should there be license to stop looking into why hypertension is a problem?   there should be a check box on the insurance form that indicates further research is needed, rather than just noting.. "you are not important enough to look any further".

• Vanessa1 Vanessa1 JohnWest

Hi John, I haven't used the email account associated with this for years (changed it to my current one now). I no longer take Losartan - stopped it last year (after about 8 years of taking it). I stopped taking it because I was getting severe aches in my joints - shoulders, hips, knees, my shins - everything. I also found that I always seemed to have quite acidic urine with it. I started getting terrible pain at night in my legs too. All blood tests came back ok (so they told me). I told the Dr I wanted to change the meds and they gave me Irbesartan. I have taken it on and off, but I was still getting lots of aches and pains and was getting very depressed on it. I have had to stop taking it and although I am not checking my BP at the moment (I know it isn't good as I was told twice I was heading for a stroke in the past due to the changes in my blood vessels in my eyes), but the quality of life was making me depressed. Anyway, since I have stopped taking any of them (2 months now), I no longer have a feeling of acidic urine and I all the joint pain has gone - when I couldn't sleep with the pain in my legs and shoulders before. I rest my case as what caused it all. No doubt about it. Dr's just try and brush it under the table and tell you it isn't the meds. Pile of c**p. Trying to do other things to control my BP. I give up with BP meds at the moment. I am only 47 and was always so super fit and healthy (going to the gym 5 times a week) - now I feel like an old woman - when your joints go it is very worrying, so I won't be taking any meds just yet. I think they would have detroyed my joints eventually. 

• almac almac

Yes I do agree doctors tend to be a little hesitant to put blame on stress for the onset of hypertension. In your case having had chronic stress for a long time it could so easily have triggered the onset of high blood pressure. Who can argue with your consultant cardiologist, may have seen many stress related cases in his time. Anyway nice talking to you...

• Vanessa1 Vanessa1 almac

Hi Almac, yes I have no doubt mine is stress related (always used to be super fit going to the gym and only ate extremely healthy food) - since I wrote on here stress has been accepted as a cause of high BP - hmm, took them this long. Sorry for the late reply - haven't used this email account in years.

• Stacy Stacy

Hi every one I am glad to read that we are all doing well. I am now happy with my medication and plan to stay on it for life if the need be. I am also making sure that I monitor my BP once a month and go for regular check ups and blood tests. I have two beautiful granddaughters and I want to be around to see them grow up, so I am going to be sensible and do what the doctor says. One only realises how ill one was when the symptoms are no longer there. I always had a muzzy head and would become unsteady on my feet. Also there was a constant noise in my ears and I could hear my heart beat. Thankfully all these have gone now and my body feels quiet. So lets all enjoy good health and look forward to a fantastic future because we can xx

• almac almac

Hi Stacy, so glad everything is working out OK for you, and that you will be taking the appropriate measures to monitor your BP. And I fully agree what you said about taking your doctor's advice. Anyway wishing you the very best for the future.

• Idiot Idiot

I started 25mg Losartin a week ago. Obviously too little time to tell if there are any significant reactions, but a friend said he has taken 50mg for two years without issue. He said he doesn't even know he is taking it. Any fatigue must be due to other side effects? I also take 80mg Lipitor, which can definitely make some people fatugued, but after a dozen years there is no diminished performance. I work in The Pentagon, so staying alert here is also a must.

• almac almac

I’ve been taking Losartin for over two years now in combination with other hypertension tablets and have really only noticed tiredness, so I can’t really say which of the three hypertension treatments I’m taking that is causing it...? I can’t comment on Lipitor because there is a difference in some medication brand names in Europe and the USA... But I can say once you start taking hypertension treatment you are on it for life, the best thing to remember, is not to worry about it after all, if you are visiting your Doctor on a regular basis there should be no problems... I would imagine working in the Pentagon you would need to have your wits about you. So from an English Man all the best with your medication..

• rosie57572 rosie57572

I am taking Losartan 50mg - and I feel anxious and depressed which is not be at all. I also find my concentration levels are poor - and I have been an author for over 20 years, used to tight deadlines as well as working in other voluntary capacities which demand attention to detail. I really find this medication difficult although my bp is coming down. Does anyone else experience unusual levels of anxiety?

• patty21479 patty21479 prospero2121

I am taking on 25mg of Losartan and just checked in with Dr last week.  After taking it for 3 months, my BP was 124/70.  I think as long as you take a low dose the side effects are minimal.  I was told to take 25mg in the beginning until I got used to it and then start taking 50mgs.  I never bumped up the dosage because I knew I would experience the horrible side effects.  Luckily 25mg worked for me and my doctor was truly surprised that it worked so well.  I tried to tell him that I have a very low tolerance for all drugs, now he has seen it.

• kathie98453 kathie98453 patty21479

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and was put on Linsinopril but ended up with the "Linsinopril cough" so had to go off of that med. I am now taking 50mg of Losartan. I have been experiencing symptoms of a low grade sinus infection. A lot of drainage, sinus pressure and a small cough. Im not quite sure if it is coincidental that it is the med or just some seasonal allergies? Called my doc and I am going to give it a few more weeks. Anyone else experiencing any of these symptoms?

Thank you

• MrsO-UK Surrey MrsO-UK Surrey

Hello Rosie

I've been taking Losartan Potassium 50mg for just over 3 weeks now - my renal consultant added it to another BP pill, Diltiazem, which I've taken for around 9 months. I have been tried on various other BP pills alongside the Diltiazem in the last few months, but whereas I didn't feel 100% on any of the others, I feel much better on Losartan. My systolic BP is still not down to 135 where the consultant wants it but definitely much better than the 200 or so reading I was getting before treatment! I guess when I see the consultant again next week, he will be suggesting either an increase to the higher dose or adding in yet another pill. I understand the latest thinking is to put patients on the lower doses of several different pills rather than on high doses of just one.

If you feel your anxiety and depression have only appeared since taking Losartan, and you haven't had any other stress in your life recently, then perhaps your GP will try you on another. My pharmacist told me that he doesn't hear as many complaints about side effects from customers on Losartan as on other BP pills.

• rosie57572 rosie57572

I switched from Ramipril to Losartan 50mg because of side effects. Since taking Losartan for the past eight weeks, I have been anxious, jumpy and depressed; and this is unusual for me. I am 68 years old, and apart from the high blood pressure, fit and healthy (bit of a dodgy hip but nothing serious). This anxiety is debilitating and I intend to see my GP about it; trouble is they are adamant that I should be on the medication (bp was 200/95 but is now 150/82. I agree that received information is that Losartan has fewer side effects but am tempted to try a couple of weeks without it and see what happens

• MrsO-UK Surrey MrsO-UK Surrey

Rosie - I know how you feel. My creatinine levels have now increased on the Losartan and I still have swollen ankles from the Diltiazem. I think the view of the consultant is that I have to put up with the side effects to reduce the risks of living with high BP. I'm often tempted to give up the pills but am scared of the possible consequences of doing so! Do be careful.

• Fuzzy Head Fuzzy Head Stacy

Hi Stacy

I am a fit and healthy 54 Year old man, I have always been both mentally and physically active, until 2 years ago when I was prescribed medication for Hypertension. I have tried Bisoprolol, Ramipril,Amlodopine and currently Losartan and they all make me feel lethargic,and stunt my mental capacity. I constantly have a fuzzy head and have no drive. I can manage to undertake routine tasks but my usual drive that never lets me sit stil has gone. If I wasnt such a positive happy person I think I would be in deprersssion. My pharmacist states that he hasnt heard first hand of this type of side effect. It is ruining my quality of life and I need to find an altenative that doesnt effect me so badly. I guess its a matter iof trial and error. My GP is great he engages me in decisions and treats me as a professional adult, I couldnt ask for more.   I will keep on trying and will let you know if I am successful

Regards

Kevin  

• bushbaby3 bushbaby3 Fuzzy Head

So glad to know others feel crappy on Losartin. I absolutely HATE this feeling. I exercise vigorously 7 days a week, never had a health issue and now, my systolic has gone up, diastolic is around 60-70. When I tell my doctor I'm feeling fuzzy and tired (oh, and I gained a couple of pounds, what's with that?), he gives me a puzzled look. Hmm, he says, you shouldn't have these reactions. Arrgh! Anyway, had to vent, thank you.

• n3ggy n3ggy Fuzzy Head

Hi,

i had been on Amlodepene 10 mg for a few years. I took it in the morning

and did not have many side effects except I constantly has to go pee

14 times in 24 hours and night time getting up. I sometimes had to stop the car in the middle of a journey. Doctor changed to losartan 50 mg. but I feel vey lethargic and sleepy with heavy head. I have not been to the Gym for 7 days!!! I don't get up at night except once and so am getting a good night sleep but this daytime drowsiness is not pleasant. The pharmacist from Boots has called me 3 times to monitor if I am feeling ok..unusual

i thought! I have had a blood test after taking this drug for 2 weeks and will  now try and get an appointment to see GP. The pharmacist told me maybe I should take it in the evening to avoid daytime lethargy. I just feel overall maybe amlodepene  had lesser side effects. When I had stopped amlodepe for 7 days I was feeling like a new man eyesight sharper full of energy. But was told that it is not wise to stop taking hypertension meds. 

Wish if there was a natural product to lower BP. 

• Vanessa1 Vanessa1 bushbaby3

I always used to get a fuzzy head and be unable to concentrate, but Losartan 100mg actually helped stop that (I was on it for 8 years but came off it last year as my joints were in constant pain and I was kept awake at night). I asked for a different BP med and they put me on Irbesartan. Didn't like that either as my joints were still sore. Dr's refused to believe the joint pain was connected to the meds, so I gnored them and just stopped taking them.  I no longer take any meds and have stopped checking my BP - just trying to do other things to sort my BP (had high BP for 14 years). Meds wreck your body over time - I was diagnosed at age 33 and was very slim, fit and healthy - all to do with stress. No point having low BP when you are in agony have poor quality of life with your joints aching so much. All the pain in my joints has gone since I have stopped taking the meds. I have been on practically all of the meds over the last 14 years, so I don't want to take any of them again at the mo as they all caused me problems, but Losartan was the better one until my joint pain got out of control.

• gecko gecko Stacy

Dear Stacy, Today was my first losartan tablet so I can not offer much helpful advice. It has left me dizzy but I am prepared to 'give it a go' and be patient. I have read the literature about this drug and like other hypertension drugs, some drowsiness can be expected. I have found a good doctor here in Shanghai and I will push ahead with this medication. I have learned more about this losartan from the above comments. This is my first post as a newly registered member. Thanks , best wishes to you Stacy.

Next

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.