Losing hair

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve been using Levothyroxine 25mg for a month now. My hair is still thinning all over my scalp. I still lose the same amount of hair in the shower when i use shampoo. I see some changes including new hair growing from the sides of my eyebrows. My TSH level was 1,24 before i started using medication.

Anyone familiar with my situation?

English is not my first language, sorry.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Do you have other symptoms of low thyroid, tiredness and foggy head for example? Or only the hair loss?
    • Posted

What I said above and feeling like I'm not in the present moment and also difficult concentrating.

• Posted

So...does your doctor think you are hyper? It would be strange for her to increase your dose if she thought so. You really need to have that discussion, soon.
    • Posted

I don't know. I guess they thought I have hypo. (Wouldnt my heart rate be low and not so rapid is my question) My tsh level is 1.3

The TSH level range is 0.5-1.5 here. But i've also heard 0.5-4 is a normal range. Do you think my doctor will say no if i ask about getting my tsh level to 2?

• Posted

Oh god nevermind. I forgot that higher tsh level means low thyroid. 

yea i don't know now..

• Posted

So, talk it out with the doc, and understand what she thinks your condition is. If you are not satisfied then ask to see an endocrinologist.
  • Posted

Today I asked a dermatologist on justanswer.com

I was talking about the issues i have with my hair loss.

And when I mentioned my TSH level, he said stop taking levothyroxine right now.

He said I most likely have hyperthyroidism. I said the normal TSH range here in Norway is 0.5 - 1.5. He then gave me a link to some article about the normal TSH range 0.5 - 5 that I should show my doctor. I asked what do you consider a good TSH level, he said a "good" one would be 2.5

Ok so my question is.. Should I trust this guy? Is my doctor in Norway using an old TSH system? If I ask my doctor about getting my TSH level to 2.5 he will probably say that's out of the question.

• Posted

What dosage are you on at the moment? Your symptoms do sound as if you are taking a bit too much but stopping cold turkey would be unwise, understand as well that a change in dose can take a few weeks to show results. In North America TSH between 0,3 and 4 is regarded as normal.
  • Posted

Well, that’s not a heavy dose. Recap: why were you put on Levothyroxine in the first place?
    • Posted

Because of hair loss while using shampoo. Only like 7-9 hair. After 1 month of use i’m losing much more. I have no clue what my tsh is now. And like i said before. I have more hyper symptoms rather than hypo. Since the tsh range here is 0.5 - 1.5 it would be logical to get mine to 1. I didn’t know anything about hypo or hyper diseases when i started using the medication. I only said that some doctor thought it’s something wrong with my thyroid when it comes to my hair loss.
  • Posted

Well, based on what you’re saying it’s time to see an endocrinologist or at the very least get an up to date TSH, T3 And T4 test and get back with your doc.

It seems to me that putting you on Levothyroxine for hair loss when, if I understand correctly, your TSH has never been out of range, makes no sense. You need to see an endocrinologist about this, really.

But like I said before, it takes weeks to see results of any change in medication. The big concern is if you still have high pulse rate. That’s not good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.