Losing weight

Posted , 8 users are following.

Prior to perimenopause I could basically go on a diet and lose 20 to 25 pounds in a month. Since peri and now I guess the full blown menopause, I eat 1500 sometimes 1400 calories a day and work out 4-5 days and guess what NO weight loss, I have not gained which is a good thing, but I have been trying to lose 30-35 pounds and honestly its easier to wrestle a grizzly bear than to lose 5 pounds. I am wondering if any of you are dealing with this issue too and what have you found that has helped? Thanks any comments or advice is appreciated. By the way, I love this board, no one else in my life understands. 

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Like you I struggled to lose weight until my husband was put on a high protein/ low carb diet for his diabetes. Being a supportive wife I went on it with him and I have lost over three stone. It's worth a try as it sounds like calorie counting isn't working for you like it wasn't for me.
    • Posted

I have considered low carb too. I am type 2 diabetic and worry about the damage it could cause my kidneys, however I could look at a modified low carb plan

Thanks I will perhaps go with it.

• Posted

Hiya

Probably one of the best diets for us Pei/Meno ladies. Regulates the sugar levels etc.

However, for me, high protein is a major problem as I get major constipation. On-going issue for me at the most, but Magnesium seems to be working its magic!

Tried the Atkins yrs ago. Great for Tonkin, not so much weight loss. But was so bunged up I thought I'd have to be hospitalised! Never again!

Yep, the protein/ kidney issue is a bit deal for us all, especially diabetics.

Why is it so bloody hard being a woman? Most blokes seem happy to cart their beer guts around like a fashion accessory!!

Sx

• Posted

My husband is Type 2 too and he was put on this diet. He has dramatically reduced his insulin input and he has his kidneys regularly checked as part of his care with the NHS. Perhaps discuss it with your doctor and see if you can talk to a dietician. X
    • Posted

I am glad you mentioned the issue with constipation, its a major issue that I have had every time I go low carb, whats up with that????? I have to take laxatives daily when I did low carb. But, I am going to purchase the magnesium today.  I had to laugh about your comment about men and their big bellies, I think and this is my honest opinion, they dont care, yes some do, but I have NEVER heard men obsessing about their weight the way women do and I think its because they have never had the societal pressure to be thin in the way that women have. 
    • Posted

lenie, I really do think its a 'woman-thing' this constipation mallarkey.  i believe the probs caused by low carb is the high protein element, which our bodies find harder to break down - hence the 'Death by Breath' element of the Atkins Diet!!redface

And as for men:  I think the most unfair thing is that most men cut out the beer, and the weight just falls off them!  Having said that, its all about the sugars and carbs, so makes sense I suppose. 

I don't want to speak too soon, but since I've upped the Magnesium, I've not touched the stool softners - there's no need ha, ha!! 

I'm not sure if its making me sleep better, can't really say as my son and his girlfriend coming in chatting/giggling in the early hours just work as good as an alarm clock for me.  Thats it: I'm awake!  Oh to be young and selfish all over again.....*sigh*!

• Posted

Hi,

I'm battling a similar thing

But I'm gaining weight.

I'm really trying to eat healthily but with it being cold weather, that is hard.

Due to other health problems, I'm not as mobile as I'd like to be, so I suppose not moving around much, doesn't help.

I did read somewhere that lack of oestrogen can make a difference, if you take it, it can raise your metabolic rate - It's worth asking your doctor, anything is worth a try.

Take care 

• Posted

Same here, slowly gaining weight. Exercising but cannot lose weight, really depressing. Almost 3 years with full blown menpause symptoms. Wondering if hrt would help?
    • Posted

I wonder if hormonal treatment would work too but I worry about the consequences of hrts. I have an appointment tomorrow so that is on the list to discuss.
  • Posted

Please keep us posted. Ive held off as my gp thinks Im through the worst, but this weight issue is making me feel and look awful. Could weep when I look in the mirror. Good luck tomorrow.
  • Posted

Hello there,   You are not alone with wrestling the grizzly bear.... this weight issue really sucks!  You are not alone.  My mom said that every woman gains around the middle during this time, it's inevitable.   Right before my scarce period I bloat up like a damn blowfish ohhhhh and crave chocolate.  The B75 Complex vitamins have really helped me.  They are good for PMS, so good for moods and weight gain at this time.  I do treadmill and walk every morning for more energy.  I feel better after.  Weights firm my flab....my chocolate flab...so I can still feel fab when 50 hits!  xxoo
    • Posted

Thanks I have the b complex but not the best . Thank you
    • Posted

A woman doctor told me that you can't help thickening around the middle as our bodies lay down fat to protect our skeleton as our bones thin.
  • Posted

Hiya

Yep, being in Peri/Meno and trying to lose weight = almost impossible!

I've put on about 9lbs in the past 18mths. Being realistic, prior to this I had dumped a bit of weight, largely due to the stress of selling business/family home of 22yrs! Believe me, there's better ways of losing weight!

Also when I ran our business I was working 11hr days, and running round like a Blue-arsed Fly for most of that! Another few yrs of that and it would have done me in!

Great to have had a 2yr 'Sabattical' - allowed me to get full-blown Peri without an audience :-) ! Worse part: I've been doing loads of "Me' things: cooking which I love; got a little inactive and worse still, got a little isolat

ed.

Hadn't realised I enjoyed the day-to-day buzz of working so much. I'm essentially a 'worker' so admit after a year I was bored - 18mths in my only distraction is......Peri!!

Have tried to diet but found mood dictated. Hate my lack of will power sad Been reading about the 5:2 (or 2:5, obviously didn't pay that much attention!) Diet. Eat 'normally' (take that to mean 'healthily') for 5 days, then sor

ta 'fast' on about 600 cals for the other 2 days. Sounds good to me as there are days I am a defo Binger, and others where I can't bear to eat what I've cooked. Sound familiar?!

Think reason we put weight on our belly is solely to do with hormones - depletion or dominance, possily dear ol' oestrogen again. As if it wasn't bad enough us getting saggy tits, dry skin, thinning hair, spots(!), dried up nunny, moany, weepy, we have to get a 'Beer Gut' too ............ or is that

just me?!!:-)

In the UK we have Slimming World. A great diet club. Lost weight with them before and had a good laugh along the way. Worse part of it was sharing/ picking up new ways to cheat. Almost like going to prison for a mugging........and coming out a Bank Robber!!! Shame amongst all the laughs we didn't realise we were 'cheating' ourselves:-) :-) !

Maybe the 5:2 is my next step. Just got to find 2 days this week to not over-eat, as unfortunately for me every day this week has a 'Y' in it!!!!

Watch this space...........:-) !

Sx

PS - excuse shambolic post. Combination of fat finger syndrome and predictive text from a Tablet!!

• Posted

Oh blimey girls, appears I'm still trying to 'cheat' myself again!

Read an article yesterday about the 5:2 Diet by Dr Michael..... Moseley????? (Brain fog!)........anyway!! ..............Would appear the 2 days of 'fasting' is at 500 cals on those 2 days and NOT the 600 I had stated.

Typical me, already tweeking to suit me! 600 is for men!:-) .

Just as well I hadnt already started this diet I'd be moaning that I hadn't lost much weight!!!

Sorry girls. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.