Losing weight

Posted , 8 users are following.

Prior to perimenopause I could basically go on a diet and lose 20 to 25 pounds in a month. Since peri and now I guess the full blown menopause, I eat 1500 sometimes 1400 calories a day and work out 4-5 days and guess what NO weight loss, I have not gained which is a good thing, but I have been trying to lose 30-35 pounds and honestly its easier to wrestle a grizzly bear than to lose 5 pounds. I am wondering if any of you are dealing with this issue too and what have you found that has helped? Thanks any comments or advice is appreciated. By the way, I love this board, no one else in my life understands. 

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lenie, Just adding my voice to the harmonising chorus of dismay. Every day this weight increase thing appals me more and more. I was stick thin before this peri evil began and ate for Britain just to maintain my skinny frame. Now I'm shaped like a stack of marshmallows with no defined waist and wads of spare flesh under my bra straps - like string on a brisket joint. Exercise has waned since an injury made walking difficult. When will it all end and will I shrinkback to my old size when it does? Wrestling with a grizzly bear sounds like a good workout but alas I don't live in North America. Sorry, I'm just having a moan here. I haven't found anything that helps. Just wanted to get it off my ill-defined chest!
    • Posted

My man is so pleased with this forum, says its the only time I laugh! Im just psyching myself up to go for a life threatening jog. One week of torture and no difference to this bloated sack of a body. Someone mentioned magnesium as the magic pill?? 
    • Posted

Hi Debbie

Think that might have been me mentioning the 'Miracle' pill, Magnesium.

But for me its the magical laxative properties I'm loving - whooohay! Believe me, struggling to get motivated enough to start a diet, and being constantly 'bogged down' by constipation ain't no fun.

But aside from that, I've noticed my mood generally and aching joints have really improved since Jan. Started taking Menopace

Original (Vits B/D, Magnesium/ Calcium etc) and using a Bioidentical Progesterone Cream. Think something must be working - now too frightened to stop them all in case I go back to Moaning Minnie/ aching like a 90yr old!

Got to get my sorry arse into gear again, now that I'm not fretting about how long its been since I've 'been' ( think its defo a woman-thing!). Never enjoyed exercise but since having more 'Me' time, I've found a love of walking again and also doing a Power Walk

vid on YouTube ( Lesley Sansone's 3 mile P/W). A right good laugh: I can wheeze and sweat in the comfort of my living room!

• Posted

This bloody Tablet!!! Has a ******* mind of its own! Grrrrr
    • Posted

Oh you have made me laugh! Thats it, going to the chemist to get menopace right now. Going to jog all the way there. Ha ha!
    • Posted

Survived it, just. Off to get the happy magnesium pills! Then I will be slim and happy again! X
    • Posted

I love the analogy of a stack of marshmallows!!!  My grandmother did lose weight when it was all over, LOL< but than she was really old. i decided that i am just going to continue to eat healthy, exercise most days and whatever happens with the weight it just happens, i can tell you i am not going to get on the scale everyday. i was weighing myself all the time and i got more and more angry, especially when i realized i was not losing despite walking 3 miles 4 days a week and only eating 1500 kcal. so, i know its hormonal and i am not going to go on hrts under any circumstances, so it is what it is, my husband told me that its must more to cuddle!  i dont know if thats a dig or a compliment! but="" than="" she="" was="" really="" old.="" i="" decided="" that="" i="" am="" just="" going="" to="" continue="" to="" eat="" healthy,="" exercise="" most="" days="" and="" whatever="" happens="" with="" the="" weight="" it="" just="" happens,="" i="" can="" tell="" you="" i="" am="" not="" going="" to="" get="" on="" the="" scale="" everyday.="" i="" was="" weighing="" myself="" all="" the="" time="" and="" i="" got="" more="" and="" more="" angry,="" especially="" when="" i="" realized="" i="" was="" not="" losing="" despite="" walking="" 3="" miles="" 4="" days="" a="" week="" and="" only="" eating="" 1500="" kcal.="" so,="" i="" know="" its="" hormonal="" and="" i="" am="" not="" going="" to="" go="" on="" hrts="" under="" any="" circumstances,="" so="" it="" is="" what="" it="" is,="" my="" husband="" told="" me="" that="" its="" must="" more="" to="" cuddle!=""  i="" dont="" know="" if="" thats="" a="" dig="" or="" a="">
    • Posted

I think that's a great positive attitude! Yes, it is what it is. Your husband sounds lovely.
    • Posted

Debbie - Don't forget:  they;re '3for2' in Superdrug and '3for £10' in Asda.  Love a bargain, melol
    • Posted

lol that's funny Stack of marshmallows lol thats how I feel.  I bloat up and gain 10 pounds it seems a few days before my scarce period.  Then after I am still left with two marshmallows. lol. Laughter is the best medicine though! xxoo
    • Posted

Took menopace, magnesium and calcium last night, and dont know if Im imagining it, but I feel less bloated today, as well as feeling more supple. Can it work this quickly??? My best day in months. Thanks!!!
    • Posted

To be honest Debbie, I can't actually remember when I started to feel the benefits of it all. Probably as when I started taking it (1Jan) I was preoccupied with having just started bleeding again after a 5 day break (effectively had 2 periods bleeding 19 out of 25 days!!).

But have defo noticed how much better my joints feel, notably left shoulder and elbow.

Also don't get that niggling, constant aching lower back/pelvic area. Got a little bit now tho as I'm having yet another bleed, but no cramping so much more bearable.

Believe Magnesium makes you a bit more relaxed, aids sleep etc so maybe you woke feeling better after a good kip?

Also I'm taking it for its laxative benefits and can only say that this stuff delivers ha, ha!!!!!

Keep it up Debbie as once it gets in your system a good few weeks I'm sure you'll feel so much more better physically which helps us cope better with all the 'mental' stuff too.

Life's definitely a box of chocolates with this Peri mallarkey!!

• Posted

Thanks Shaznay. I appreciate your thoughts and experiences. I havent had a sweat for a week now, first time in two years, so it could just be that the whole sorry experience is coming to a natural end. But you would have to break my fingers to take my pills from me now. I feel ready to tackle the blubber now! Hopefully selling the house and moving from the area soon, so that has helped with a positive frame of mind, and will,keep me very busy. Take care. X
    • Posted

Me and my big trap!  Just when things were going so well, I just had to get yet another regular-as-clockwork Period!  Was doing so well right up to starting, but ended up with a right ol' gut ache, lasted for 4 of the 8 days I was on. 

I laid low for a while as I did feel drained.  Decided yesterday to stop taking the Magnesium as I was cramping and aching.  Well considering I was taking it for its laxative properties I shouldn't complain:  it worked, and some!

Today, feel 1m times better! Whether thats because I've stopped the Mag'm or that I've stopped bleeding, I can't say yet. 

I'll leave it for a while, then reintroduce - but not when I've got a Period, that's for sure!

I know what you mean about noone's taking those tablets back:  I love Menopace, and believe they've done me all sorts of favours.  So pleased about your sweats:  haven't had too much of that - Thank Christ.  Be good if they're under control for you. 

Lets hope you'll keep feeling the benefits long enough to get you through that house sale/move:  we don't do things by halves us girls, do we?!

Keep smilingsmile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.