Losing Weight Coming Off Mirtazapine

Posted , 35 users are following.

Has anyone else had a problem with weight loss when stopping Mirtazapine? I don't have an appetite, and feel sick at the stomach, and have lost 10 pounds. I am beginning to worry that it may be something else going on.

0 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Just about everybody on this forum lost weight after stopping mirt, don't worry. Try to eat despite not feeling like it. That was my problem too as I'm naturally slim and didn't want lose weight and I had to remember to eat but still lost several pounds.
    Report Reply
  • Posted

Yes I tried to come off it a while back because I'd gained weight. I had terrible nausea and insomnia. Could hardly eat a thing and lost half a stone in ten days.
    Report Reply
  • Posted

Did you come off slowly or fast? Either way, a lot of people have withdrawal symptoms that can last a pretty long time. Easier doing a very slow withdrawal, though. I have tried twice and had to go back on.

How long have you been off? What was your dosage?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Kathy i havectried about 4 times and always go back up ...i go from 30 mg to 22.5 and even find that difficult !!
      Report Reply
    • Posted

I hope you get through it fast, David. It's pretty brutal just stopping. Sounds like you already know that. I would go back on and do a taper of dropping one dose a week, then 2, etc. and do it as slow as you want. In other words, if you need to take several weeks at just one dropped dose, then do so. Would be much easier on you. Just a suggestion. Some folks decide to ride it out, and for some, it gets better faster, and others, way slower. I wish you luck. Truly.confused
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Kathy, I am miserable. The weight loss has me friegntened that it might be something else that is serious. I had a physical in December, and was in the ER last week, but all tests were normal. Since I am 3 weeks since my last dose, I would rather tough it out, as long as there isn't something else causing my digestive issues. I slept OK last night, but when I stepped on the scales this morning, I had lost a couple more pounds. I feel generally sick, weak, and fatigued. No appetite. I have a reasonable acute case of IBS that I have always had, which makes things worse. I have had, in the past, every gastrointestinal test there is, some of them several times, and they have all been normal. No family history of colon or stomach cancer. I just hope to get better soon. The most that I have weighed over the last several years is 215, I weighed 190 this morning. I am afraid (anxiety). Thanks for your interest. I would really rather never take another Mirtazapine.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

I totally understand, David. Like I said, tried twice. I am not too proud to go back on it and try again later. The slow taper is safer and better for you. No one can tell you how long you will be in this misery with the sudden stop. But I hope it's not long for you.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi David, I'll pray for you and everyone else suffering WD from Mirt.                  About the weight David I was like you on 45mg now down to 7.5, and as you know suffering badly with servere IBS,I to have lost as we say in the UK a stone,but I can't say I've lost my appetite .  If your not eating you will not only loose weight,but you'll loose vitamins that will make you miserable.  I had a word with my Pharmasist and he said WD from Mirt best to top up on vit D it does help a little.   It's also said if you've dropped down never go back up.          I'll pray for you tonight x
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Kal and Kathy.  I started on Mirt at 30 mg. then 15mg. Then 7.5mg and last 3.75 mg. I have stopped now.  Been off 3 days.  I am getting these withdrawals.  Sweats at night...sleep not good...tremors...some dizziness

palpitations but they are not as bad as when I was on Mirt.  Stay away from this med. Very bad stuff!!  Hope this helps.  

Report Reply
    • Posted

I gained weight on mirtazapine and lost a pound a day when I stopped(Yes, just stopped) taking 30 mg a day.

You are fine. It's withdrawal paired with the loss of the fat MASS gained from the mirtazapine. I'm fat with it and miserable without it

Report Reply
    • Posted

Again, My doctor was alarmed by my 20 lb gain in 6 weeks and said, just stop. I lost 10 lbs of the fat I gained in spite of my usual healthy diet and exercise in 10 days. Hallelujah!

However, I can't sleep, or focus, wake up with panic attacks in spite of alprazolam and tenazapam. I have an overseas trip to take in 13 days and I am staring at the bottle. I still can't fit into my clothes and I have the ONLY effective answer to my lifelong GAD, and my new panic and old insomnia staring at me. Has ANYONE that isn't built like a fashion model found a way to manage to fat MASS increase? Or weight GAIN? I am so depressed

Report Reply
    • Posted

I'm sorry Maria,I haven't been on this forum in quite a while,so it took me by surprise to see you messaged me.  But I've never agreed with just stopping Mirtazapine,I definitely think you should slowly WD,especially from 30mg.

As for weight gain I personally would rather have weight on,than feeling ill.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up