Losing Weight Coming Off Mirtazapine

Posted , 67 users are following.

Has anyone else had a problem with weight loss when stopping Mirtazapine? I don't have an appetite, and feel sick at the stomach, and have lost 10 pounds. I am beginning to worry that it may be something else going on.

3 likes, 134 replies

134 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

When i tried on several occasions David i lost lots of weight and got chronic insomnia ...and that was just trying to grt down slowly from 30 mg to 15
  • Edited

David if you need to reinstate on 7.5mg or 3.75mg and then witdraw slowly from there don't be afraid to do so. Don't allow a doctor to put you back on full dose or something else just because you'll run yourself in a very bad place. But if you can persevere I'll keep you in my prayers!

I've stopped at 7.5mg twice before and I was in severe muscle pain but this time I'm on 3.75mg and soon (after Easter) I'll start skipping one day every two weeks (which should take 14 weeks to be off 3.75mg completely). With God's help!

Good luck!

• Posted

1980, thank you for the advice and prayers. Did you lose weight when you stopped at 7.5? Also, did you have abdominal cramps, spasms, pain and sleep issues? I stopped 3 weeks ago when I took my last 7.5, and figured at three weeks I would be much better. I did sleep better last night, but the other symptoms are still there. As far as going back to try a slower taper, I promised my wife that I would never put another one in my mouth, and I plan to keep that promise. My biggest fear (anxiety) is that there is something else (cancer, etc.) causing the weight loss and weakness. My abdomen cramps so bad that it leaves the area sore, but it is better the next day. There seems to be gas rumbling in my bowels almost constantly. Thanks again, David
    • Posted

No David, there is nothing else! You have typical withdrawal symptoms. I reckon with mirtazapine you never know how it will hit you. I stopped twice last year and both times I had different symptoms. The first time I stopped I had insomnia, a very quick loss of weight and diarrhea for weeks, also abdominal pains, all of which diminished after I reinstated after 4 weeks. The second time I stopped and I had no gastro issues except for no apetite (also lost weight but less then the first time) no sleep and severe muscle spasms and joint pains, most of which disappeared after I took my very first dose of the drug. That's why I need to do it slow this time.

That's how you could quickly check if it's the drug I guess! But I think after your better last night you may be just fine. As long as there are signs of overall improvement you just need to have faith in them. A healthcare person confirmed to me that this is the worst drug to come off, judging by the volume of queries they have on it.

• Edited

One thing that I forgot to mention, I take two medications for heart rhythm problems, and part of the reason that I stopped them, the Mirt, is that they have cardiac side effects listed, including heart attacks. My heart problems have gotten worse, which makes the Mirt more dangerous for me to take. This whole thing is hell for me, so again, your prayers are appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi David, Strange you should say that,I was put on medication for a heart problem about 20yrs ago,I was told for life.  Then when the IBS started about 13-14yrs ago,and they tried to help me with Mirt for the IBS about 7yrs ago, I then had a heart attack 5yrs ago.  But I was never told to come off the Mirt.  Now like you Im on 2Meds for my heart aswell.  Now whether the Mirt was the cause I'll never know, but I was on 45mg at the time.  Just stick it out Im sure it will get better.  If you've got Anxiety would your GP give you something like Diazapam to take as needed just untill you get over the WD.     I'm seeing one of the top Gastrologist in the UK at the moment for my IBS and he recommends Diazapam to help me through it.  I hope this has helped and not worried you.  Big Hug comeing your way.
    • Posted

Norma, My GI doc has me on Lorazepam for the IBS. I slept well last night for the second night in a row. The abdominal cramps/pain seems to have gotten a little better. I still feel weak and fatigued, but I have spent a great deal of time in bed since this started. I hope that things are improving. I still have no appetite and anxiety is still an issue. I am just taking it a day, and sometimes it seems like an hour at the time. Thanks for the hug, and one for you as well. This has been horrible.
    • Posted

It does sound as though it's settling a bit now David ,I hope so.                         That's the best way to deal with it a day at a time.   You also may be better out of bed for a while and do something to distract you from the pain for a time. A Book,Film,a Game etc etc. keep in touch I really do hope your picking up a bit now.   And EAT.
    • Posted

Hi 1980

I am reading with great interest "how to come off Mirt" for the future ... not immediate future - how do you taper off from 7.5 - is there a lower dose or do you have a gadget to cut the tablet?  I think I've read on this site not to cut as an unglazed tablet can cause stomach cramps/pain ... so I'm a little baffled.  Thanks for your help.

• Posted

Hi calmer, I also read that about cutting tablets in half,so I asked my Pharmasist who's a good friend and he said it doesn't matter it makes no difference. And when you get to 7.5mg if you ask your GP you can have liquid Mirt and a siringe. Good Luck
    • Posted

1980, just thought I'd pass along. I have slept well for the last three nights, and have weighed the same for the past week. I am still having abdominal cramps, churning, pains, bloating, anxiety, fatigue, weakness, nausea, headaches, and sometimes afraid that this won't get any better. Thanks for your previous input. Regards, David
    • Posted

Thanks Norma, I won't be complaining .... Mirt has been very good for me (except the weight gain), the only med which wqas a success with sleep issues.  Are you in the UK?  
    • Posted

Hi Norma, haha ... I'm in UK too - I'm so pleased to hear you can get liquid mirt here ~ lets hope my doc will prescribe it (thinking after the summer to

s-l-o-w-l-y wd so have a while yet).

• Posted

Hi, went to the doc today. got meds for nausea and pain. I still feel weak, fatigued, generally sick. I hope things get better soon. David
    • Posted

Hi,calmer,yes that's the problem if your GP will prescribe it. If he won't stamp your feet a little,I don't think GP understand the full extent of WD from Mirt,you'll here that same story on here over and over again.

Back to the question of looking drained and tired, I myself didn't notice but I asked my husband and he said yes, he didn't want to upset me by telling me.

One of the reasons for that is while I've been WD my tempers through the roof, before the Mirt I didn't have a temper not like this anyway.

Take care 

• Posted

Hi Norma, sounds hurrendous this wd, some people on here are suffering with the anger/temper whilst on it let alone wd from it ... do you think it's to do with craving it as you're cutting down?

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi David ,I'm pleased you've been to Doctors,give it time,be patient,and I hope you feel better in a few days.  I'm sitting in a Hostpital waiting for a appointment for Hypnotherapy for my IBS, so fingers crossed it works.

Keep in touch,Big Hug for you in the meantime.

• Posted

Hi calmer,I don't really know the answer to that.When I was WD from 30mg to15mg very slowly that's when my temper came in. My husband told me it was like livening with another woman. (He wish lol) It got so bad that the slightest thing got me going,and he would go for a walk untill I calmed down.

but WD from 15mg to 12.5mg I seem a little calmer.. I was once told by a man on this forum who's now totally WD that the lower you get the more sedative it is,so maybe that's the reason.I wish he was still on here he was brilliant and really informative.  Still we'll plod on till we get there and get there I will.  You take care 

• Posted

Good luck! Back at you on the Big Hug. Here is another thing that makes this bad. I felt almost normal last night at bed time. I slept well, and woke at 5:30 feeling like hell. I have read that it sometimes is like a roller coaster, first better then worse. Take Care, David
    • Posted

Don't worry David,baby steps,each day is a little closer.  

Just try and relax and be patient,if your getting some sleep I think that helps you cope a little better.Give the meds a little time to get in your system,if they do no good go back to doctors again.  I'm willing you to feel better David so have a little faith in yourself. If you ever want to talk Im here.xx

• Posted

Thanks Norma; I'm writing notes as we speak (!) 15mg to 12.5 it will be, although not yet, want to get past the summer months as I tend to have sleep problems with the light mornings !  Maybe that extra sedative effect when WD'ing isn't necessarily helpful then, getting right off it sounds like a shock in that case !

• Posted

Calmer,when your ready to WD just get back in touch and I'll write my diagram to you,which I took off CITA and halved again so it's even slower.

Or I've got the CITA Protacol you can have.  So don't worry about taking notes. When your ready let me know and you can take it at your own pace.

Take care 

• Posted

Hi Norma i too went to cita meeting in liverpool this was 7 years ago snd i got a book which had their suggestions for w/d in which i am unable to find ...ive never been able to w/d successfully ...i get down to 15mg from 30mg which ive now been takingfor 14 years .. could i ask what citas suggestions are from 30mg to 22.5 is it to be done daily immediately or do you just do it a few times a week then build up ?? Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Kal,I just went from 30mg to 22.5mg straight off untill I felt comfortable enough to come down to 15mg,which I believe was about 3-4wks,then I went to 15mg.  But that's when I find it hard to WD to 7.5 so I've had to go really slow to get to 12.5mg,which I will stay at untill Im comfortable enough to slowly again to 7.5.  Just tell yourself you've got all the time in the world,there's only you who knows how you feel and what you can cope with.

The people I used to speak with on this forum ( who have all now WD ) told me the lower you come down the harder it is,also it usually hits you after about 10-12dys which I've found to be true.  That's why I wait untill Im comfortable before going lower.  Take care  You'll get there.

• Posted

Hi David,How are you doing,we haven't heard from you for a few days.

I hope your feeling a little better please let us know.

• Posted

Thanks Norma, your kindness is going a long way here smile  Much appreciated  x

• Posted

Hi Norma.  I am so glad somebody brought up the issue of heart problems.  When I took Mirtazapine, I had to go on a beta blocker.  My heart was so bad I could not count beats of my heart due to bad case of arrhythmia and, also very bad palpitations.  As you can see I can relate to your heart issue, though I have not had a heart attack yet.  I am 69 years old.  I should not have been put on this drug.  He also put me on 100 mg. seroquel.  Unbelievably bad drug for me.  I parallel it to Mirt. Same side effects but worse.  Getting off Seroquel was mind blowing experience for me.  I am changing psychiatrist.  Norma, hope you do well.  God bless!!!
    • Posted

Hi David, my Dr said it'd be easy to come off of remeron at 3.75 mg so he gave me a script for 30/15 mg pills and told me to cut, then cut again to 3.75 n just come off of it. So now I'm breaking my 15 mgs in half and taking 7.5 mg until I run out of the full pills, then I'll take the halves and cut them to 3.75 and take them until Im half way through with those, then I'll skip 2 doses, spaced until I completely run out and stop. Wish me luck.

• Posted

Hi Jesse I'm new to all this and I have been reading your conversations and wanting to know how you have been? I am also trying to get off of it and was only on the 7.5 and just today going down to the 3.75 and was woundering how you have been doing? I didn't know the the withdrawal was so bad on this stuff. I also take Zoloft in the daytime and the remeron was only for me to sleep. But I want to see if I can sleep on my one now and I did gain about 15lbs so that's another reason whey I want to get off... But I just wanted to check in with you to see how you were since your last post was 4months ago....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.