Losing Weight Coming Off Mirtazapine

Posted , 67 users are following.

Has anyone else had a problem with weight loss when stopping Mirtazapine? I don't have an appetite, and feel sick at the stomach, and have lost 10 pounds. I am beginning to worry that it may be something else going on.

3 likes, 134 replies

134 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have  just been put on mirtazapine, after spending 5 years on seroxat the doctor told me to stop taking the seroxat and start on the mirtz 15mg once a night however i now have severe withdrawal from the seroxat, sickness, sever nightmares ,dizzyness, i have read that you should never stop taking a drug straight away. what the hell was my doctor thinking of . I have read mirtz puts weight on so no doubts thats why you have weight loss now i hope it all works out for you soon ,
    • Posted

Rose you are absolutely correct in everything you said.  Get a new doctor. I know I am!! 
  • Posted

I have just went on this drug after coming of another to be honest i dont have an appetite at the best of times and eat when i want to. If your worrying about your weight go and see your doctor they will do some tests for you its betterthat than to worry.
  • Posted

I have just joined up here so I'm a newbie! I have put on 2 stone and look (and feel) pregnant. But I have other addiction and depression problems. I've had depression since the age of 16 and have been on Mitrazapine for about year n half and am terrified of 1)more depression and 2)withdrawl. I have never been told by my cpn that the withdrawal symptoms are this bad.

I have had body/food issues all my adult life so being this size is my worst nightmare..........

• Posted

Hi Bf

Horrid having the weight gain, I can't keep the weight off either - probably  20 lbs in a year ... planning a withdrawal method from next week myself.

Do you have a wd plan?  I mean, what dosage are you on and what is the method to wd?  You need to go real slow you see, the wd symptoms can be pretty horrific otherwise.

Best wishes, hope you get yourself well soon.

• Posted

Thank you Calmer. I don't have any plan right now, I'm terrified of my depression coming back as it always does. I'm on 45mg at night. I also have the added bonus of being on methadone.

I'm going to talk to my cpn on Monday and see what she says.

Thank you for your reply and best wishes to yourself

• Posted

I hope you get on ok with your cpn.  The wd from Mirt' can be really bad if you cold turkey, you need to have a plan in place, and be ready.  Bear in mind that it is possible to go onto a suitable other AD before withdrawing and get it running into your system first.  Speak to your doc about that well before you start a slow wd, when the time is right for you.

If you need a slow wd chart give me a shout, be happy to send you one.  Best wishes 

• Posted

Hi David

Just starting to come of miratapping from 15mg to 7.5mg day 4 feeling a bit anxious but okay but l am taking 6mg of diazapan for my aniexty when l need it keep going David it will get better and the weight will sought it's self out best of luck keep thinking positive

P

• Posted

Hello I just found this thread and hope someone out there is still available to help me. I just stopped my  Mirtazapine today. Had an apointment with the dr then had a colonoscopy & EGD. I began Mirtazapine in February about the time my grandfather passed away. It had been a horrible year with my father in law passing suddingly the past October, I had a horrible spiral fracture in my leg while caring for him before a week before his death that left me non weight bearing for 3 months then my grandfather passing in February took its tole. I supplimented my other antidepressant with Mirtazapine to help with anxiety as well as insomnia. I gained 25 pounds. I had no idea it was from the medicine as I thought it was due to stress. After reading the other comments I'm welcoming the weight loss however I'm a bit anxious at why everyone is tapering off of theirs instead of cold turkey and why everyone says its horrible. I have no idea what to expect. The dr is trying me out with Ambien. I start that tomorrow. Please help calm my nerves. Whats the real deal?

• Posted

Some people stop mirtazapine cold turkey and are fine. Hoppefully you'll be one of them. Unfortunately doctors do not seem to comprehend  the severity and duration of the withdrawal effects for those who suffer them. I tapered off mirt with pretty much zero withdrawal effects, but I took over four months to gradually reduce my dose. I tried to stop more quickly a couple of years before and suffered horrendous withdrawals and was forced to go back on the mirt. Sometimes going on a different antidepressant helps the WD effects of mirt, but usually it doesn't because mirt is unique in its action and other ADs cannot make up for what your body is missing. I am sorry that I probably haven't put your mind at rest by what I have said. But remember not everyone suffers WD and I very much hope you are one one those people who come off it unscathed. You have not been on it that long and this will go in your favour. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Wendy,

Well I would definately say that the "real deal" is that you can't just STOP taking Mirt', along with other instructions on the leaflet it states this.  Most of us are tapering slowly to get off Mirt' to avoid the extreme WD symptoms, the majority of folk don't go along with the 10% taper every month and find out a week or two along the line that the suffering is too much.

I agree with Evergreen, a very small percentage get away without too much suffering, and if you really are to go cold turkey then I really hope this is the case for you also.  Keep in touch, let us know how it goes Wendy; there is advice is you come a cropper.

I'm sorry for youur suffering and losses this year, life can be cruel, I hope from now it may be turn around for you.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

I'm nervous now. What are the withdrawal symptoms? My dr only told me to Judy stop taking it and said nothing about withdrawals.
    • Posted

That's naughty of your doctor, research everything from now on lol.  

For a well informed choice, have a look at this website for everything you need to know about tapering slowly, and details of any symptoms.  

For advice on tapering Mirtazapine slowly at the recommended rate of no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, please see the following which is within this forum, 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD".   

• Posted

ps  I tried to reply to you yesterday but it seems there were "technical errors" on the site.

Best wishes Wendy smile

• Posted

Wendy, did you go cold turkey? Also, did you lose weight right away after stopping mirtz? If you enddd up tapering off did you lose weight while you were tapering? Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.