Losing Weight Coming Off Mirtazapine

Posted , 67 users are following.

Has anyone else had a problem with weight loss when stopping Mirtazapine? I don't have an appetite, and feel sick at the stomach, and have lost 10 pounds. I am beginning to worry that it may be something else going on.

3 likes, 134 replies

134 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So it's been 1 week since cold turkey Mirtazapine. I've lost 6 pounds. I can't believe it. The only side effects I've experienced is insomnia (already had that) and the Ambien 5mg isn't cutting it. Every once in a while I feel nausiated out of knowwhere. I haven't noticed irritability yet but I'm not hungry at all. I have to force myself to eat. Hoping all settles soon.
  • Posted

I was on mirt for 12 months, had quite a few side affects but it sorted my depression. I'm only 10st 2 and did put a stone on. Came off and back to normal weight. Took me about a month to come off with not a lot side effects xx
  • Posted

I'd expect you to lose weight coming off Mirtzapine as weight gain is one of its side effects - I believe that it is one of the worst for this (I lost almost two stones as a result of depression and I have put almost all that back on and it's not by eating healthy food either, I want to eat like a horse when I eventually do actually eat something; it doesn't actually incentivise me to eat or make me enjoy the food either, its when I am eating I have this insatiable desire to actually stuff my face silly).  It didn't really make any difference what dose I am on (I am now on the max dose and there hasn't really been any difference between 15mg and 45mg in terms of this insatiable desire to eat.  So I would expect that when you come off it to lose weight.  My guess is that would level off.  If it feels like your stomach is burning because you are not eating (cos of the lack of appetite) it might be worth asking your doctor for some Omeprazole (I am on this because of the lack of food in my stomach was causing stomach burning) for a short while.
  • Posted

I just came off matazapine 30mg about 18 days ago but on loads of weight so going cold turkey and tbh I feel better in my self than have since being on them don't feel groggy of a morning considering I'm having difficulty getting to sleep had sweats but body wise I feel really good how long until they are out of your system think evruone suffers with the weight gain horrible side affect xx

• Posted

Jolene, if you did a cold turkey off 30 mg 18 days ago, and you aren't going through withdrawal hell right now, then you must be one of the fortunate few that don't bight the bullet. I tried 3 times to get off mirt, the last I had to because of heart side effects. I have lost over 50 pounds total, and am still having awful abdomenal cramps and pain, my last pill was 3.75 mg 8 months ago. Good luck, but it sounds like you are doing well already. Take Care, David

• Posted

I really didn't think that these tabs would cause so much trouble yet docs don't seem to tell you anything good luck David and take care

• Posted

David, I stop Mirt by gradually decreasing the dose.  Now I am done after the 3.75 mg. I was taking.  Have heart issues on Mirt.  How long did the severe side effects last when you trailed off Mirt.  I am feeling awful, but I am determined.  Anything help you through your withdrawl?  I sure could use some advice.  Thank you.

• Posted

Wow. I JUST figured out that the reason I have been suffering incredible nausea, stomach cramps, bloating, lack of appetite, anxiety, etc. is because I went off Mirt (30 mg.) cold turkey. (My psychiatrist did not warn me about any withdrawal, need for tapering, or anything -- just took me off it because I kept gaining weight on it and was sleeping half the day.) the only way I made the connection was by noticing that the date I went to the Emergency Room because I thought I had an ulcer or something, was about a week after I went off the Mirt.

To confirm my suspicions, i refilled my Mirt scrip (I had one refill remaining) and went back on it, and now, after a few days -- during which I guess it has been building back up in my system -- I am much less nauseated and not in agonizing pain.

But I don't want to stay on the stuff because I can't afford to gain more weight -- I have also put on five lbs. in the last 2 days, back on the Mirt! And I have a bad knee that is very much affected by extra weight; and am pre-diabetic.

D--n, I am angry at my psychiatrist. I've even told him that I've been suffering nausea and cramps and lack of appetite and anxiety, and he didn't say a word about all that perhaps being caused by him taking me off the Mirt cold turkey. Quite possibly he doesn't know about the WD syndrome. Which he should. Seriously. If you're going to prescribe a drug to an unsuspecting patient, you should know that it's famously hell to come off of, and WARN the person. And taper them off it, if they still want to go ahead.

So now I'm faced with having to explain all this to him. And if he doesn't believe me, or doesn't want to lose face by admitting he didn't know about the need to taper, I'll be faced with the need to a) come up with my own taper shcedule -- no clue, and b) find another source for the prescription to taper with.

This is really really really upsetting. Because before I went back on the stuff, I was sick as a dog. I literally threw up all day, every day. I couldn't leave the house, I couldn't work, I couldn't function; I just wanted to die.

Now I'm not sick, which feels wonderful, but I'm putting on weight again; at the rate of 2.5 lbs per day. (!!!)

God, I hope I can find a taper that works. I hope I can get my idiot shrink to sooperate. I hope I can get off this miserable stuff.

• Posted

So sorry to read of your suffering Sue; beggards belief ... doctors/p'docs not knowing about discontinuation syndrome.  SO, I made it my mission to educate my doctor, I took a copy of info that I had printed off.  Its up to you if you do the same, but it might help him/her to help others in the future, and we all need all the help we can get coming off Mirt.

There is lots of help, Evergreens thread will give you support, also to save time, I have put links under my status to help others ~ just click on my name and follow the threads.  Just shout out anytime if I can help/support you.

I have been tapering for a long time, using a liquid method, which helps to break down into smaller doses, but its best if you take your time and read up for a full informed choice.  It won't be over in a month of two, but at least you know, with a slow taper, that any suffering will be minimised.

Wishing you well Sue, best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your kind reply, calmer.

I have a concern about the slow taper; I hadn't been on the mirt long. A few months. I've reinstated in order to quell what must be the "severe withdrawal syndome" (from cold turkey-ing) written of on these boards; but I don't want to stay on the mirt a second longer than I have to. Because I'm afraid that the longer on it, the more it will "train my brain" to need it. I guess I'm making a mental analogy with, say, alcohol -- if I went on a two-week bender, when I quit, I'd probably have the shakes and nausea and anxiety and other alcohol-withdrawal problems; but if i went on a year-long bender, I'd (I assume) have much worse withdrawal symptoms, likepossible  seizures/DTs.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Also, have you found any "official" information on mirt withdrawal that you showed your doctor? Like a paper publiched in a peer-reviewed journal, or at least something written by a Dr.? (Other than Breggin --- I think he's spot-on concerning p-meds and slow withdrawal, but his name is a bit tainted in pro circles because of his connection to Scientology).

Because my pdoc is the kind of jerk who'd just dismiss personal experiences or anything else he wouldn't consider as credible as himself, with his mighty M.D. and experience. And he's not very responsive to evidence-based arguments. Unless I had a piece of paper in my hand that he considers sufficiently credible, he's going to go with what he thinks he knows.  rolleyes

• Posted

Stick with it David.  There is no other way to get off of these invasive drugs.  I have been on every drug known to man for 30 years.  I pretty much know them all.. I am bipolar.  I am now taking Cymbalta, Trazadone, Klonopin. I have no problem with them.  You don't gain weight. I have been on Trazadone for 7years.  Have to get used Trazadone, but eventually does work to help you to sleep, and of course, Klonopin relaxes me with no side effects.  That works for me!!!  I will proceed with withdrawing from Mirtazapine.  Hate that drug. Was bad for me and gave me extremely severe heart palpitations and arrhythmia.  Hope this helps.  You have to do what is best for you. Keep researching every drug you put in your body.

If you don't nobody else will.  Not even my psychiatrist!!!  God speed.

• Posted

Never just stop colturkey on medication.  I was on 15 mg for over 11 years.  I cut mine in half for 3 weeks then a quarter for 3 weeks then stopped.  I am taking magnesium malate and tart cherry juice to help me with sleeping.  If you drink 1 ounce of tart cherry juice twice a day, it really helps.  Dr oz recommends plus it's really good for you.  I get mine at GNC.  I take it around 8, eat a snack around 9:30 and tke the magnesium malate.  I'll sleep 5 hours straight.  Then when I wake up in middle of night, I drink tart cherry juice and go back to sleep 2-3 hours.  It's really working well for me.  I tried years ago and failed having extreme insomnia, flu like symptoms, and weight loss.  I had to go back on but much better this go round with natural supplements.  They are good for you too and I feel great!

• Posted

Hi,angela00207, I was just reading your post ,and having been on Mirtazapine myself for about 10-11 yrs,I've tried a few ways to get off it but failed,because I have chronic IBS,amongst other health.issues.

Could you tell me how you take your magnesium malate,tablet,spray,ect ect.  Also tart cherry juice,is this from a health store. I'm from the UK,and I believe your from the US,at a guess.   

I sure would be grateful for your help.  By the way I tend to agree on most of what your saying here.

• Posted

i take 2 pills of the magnesium malate.  Source natural is the brand 1250 mg.  you can find on Amazon.  The tart cherry brand I like is Dynamic Health organic.  You can find online too.  I'm not sure if another brand woukd be the same or not, you can try.  Just look for organic tart cherry juice.  Good luck and I hope this helps!  Let me know if you have further questions.  More than happy to help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.