Loss of appetite on citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I've posted my situation on here a few times, but other than the anxiety the biggest issue for me is a complete loss of appetite. I've been on citalopram for over 8 weeks now (5 on 20 mg and over 3 on 30 mg) and from day 1 my appitite has gone. I suffered nausea side effects but since that's subsided my appetite hasn't returned. I'm surviving on a protein shake and toast in the evening. I've lost over 2 stone since this started. I can't bare the thought of food, I've tried. I can't even have the protein shake till later in the afternoon.

Has anyone else suffered like this?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

victoria

Sometimes AD and Anxiety, even depression can effect your appetite.

If you look in the tablet box there should be a sheet of paper explaining all the contrindications.

They also have a medcine list on this site I think. Also on NHS CHOICES you can find a full explanation of your medication there as well

Keep a hold

• Posted

Hi Victoria

I also have been on for 8 weeks. Same as you lost my appetite. I started off just under 12 stone and am now 10st 5 pound. My appetite is coming and going but not as it was. I look great but also worry why I keep losing and where is going to end. I think this is common though.

• Posted

Im on 10 mg and on day 6 not eatin hardly anything and if i do i have to force it makes me feel sick i just feel low and not sleepin at the min
    • Posted

Tammy. Go to the doctor and get zopiclone. They won't give you much (around 7). But you need to sleep and initially Citalopram gives you insomnia. I got 7 nights straight sleep. You feel so much better in the morning. Also, get anti sickness ( Domperidone). You don't need to suffer these side effects. They are terrible, I remember and this is my advice.

They are side effects though and they will go even though you may feel you will be sick like this. Alex

• Posted

My dr wouldn't give me any anti sickness drugs, said they all contradicted with citalopram !

I get crippling anxiety when I wake up and end up wretching, this has been every morning for 8 weeks!!!!

I think I'm getting some slight improvement in the afternoons but it's just all so draining

• Posted

I remember my evenings being good from about 7pm and feeling great by 11pm. Go good in fact that I didn't want to go to bed. Only to wake in the morning feeling like death, and then good in the evening again.

I feel good all day these days and don't great the mornings. I also had blurred vision and use to wake in the mornings and check my sight. That was distressing, that went, and was replaced with feeling drunk everyday, that went and was replaced by not feeling real, that went and left me depressed.

I don't know how I got through it all. I know you will be OK. Domperidone doesn't conflict with cit.

• Posted

Thanks Alex. Sounds like what I am experiencing. It was like this at 5 weeks on the 20mg but then I upped to 30 and feel like I've started back at the beginning. Really hope the better spells get longer and the awful mornings start to subside

• Posted

Hi still much the same, waking in the morning and terrible anxiety and wretching. I can't face the protein shake until late afternoon and I have some toast in the evening. I just want it all to settle down.

The mornings set the day off so badly. I've been on the citalopram for over 9 weeks now.

I've had some ok spells in the afternoons which gives me hope but I'm still really worried about not being able to eat.

• Posted

Hi

How are you feeling?

• Posted

Hi Sarah I'm doing ok. Finding afternoons a lot easier, mornings still rough but I'm managing to deal with it. it's so frustrating I just want to feel normal but I suppose I'm moving in the right direction.

How are you getting on? Xx

• Posted

Hi

Had a terrible day yesterday. Not sure if I m improving. It is so hard to tell what is going on with a baby to deal with.

Keep me informed of your progress.

Least I m losing the baby weight.

• Posted

Is it still the mornings that are bad or all day? From reading posts on here mornings seem to be the last thing to settle (I'm hoping that mine do soon).

Did you say you were having cbt? I've just ordered some cbt books and they are quite good. Both are from the for dummies range, one for cbt in general and the other is cbt for anxiety.

Keep going xxxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah I can't see your posts from yesterday as they r being moderated.

How are you feeling today?

I'm feeling spaced out and I got up late which annoyed me. I hate feeling grotty but I have to keep telling myself that I am improving and not to expect it all to be fixed in one go! It just makes me feel like I'll never be able to function normally grrrr

• Posted

Hi Victoria

I am slightly better today but feel very nauseous and spacey.

I have been back down to 30 for 8 days now so don t how much is still side effects of 40 or even withdrawal but I was only on 40 for a month.

Feeling quite hopeless. It is my 14th week since I started and I know moving my dose around will have hindered my progress I really would have thought I would feel better by now. I just don t feel myself. I am needing to take diazepam just to eat.

• Posted

I felt ok for about an hour this morning but now it has gone. So frustrating. Struggling to cope with my son.
    • Posted

Hi ladies, how are you both feeling by now? I am going through the same thing. Started 10mg of citalopram 5 weeks ago and increased to 20mg 2 weeks ago. Have felt worse if anything and mornings are just horrendous, when my husband leaves for work my mum comes over to sit with me I'm in such a anxious state can't bear to be alone. Improve over the course of the day. I've lost a stone and a half in 5 weeks. I've been on citalopram for 8 years previously and they worked well for me. I only came off them in may and wish so much now I hadn't. I try to take Diazepam (6mg) in the morning when I wake but that doesn't seem to effect me and the pure fear and anxiousness continues regardless.

Sara x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.