Loss of Confidence and Obsessive Thinking

Posted , 12 users are following.

When I am feeling depressed, due to hormones, I notice that all of my confidence just evaporates; it's as though I become a totally different person. Then, I just start beating-up on myself and focusing on any perceived flaw. When I feel well, though, I am confident, upbeat, and excited about the future. My self image is healthy, and I have perspective.

I just feel so frustrated, and then I start second guessing myself: are my thoughts and feelings being caused by perimenopause or something else? I can only think that it is hormones, because when I get a settling of my mood, I want to socialize, organize my home, develop my business, just enjoy life.

I am forcing myself to stay busy and complete a list of tasks each day, no matter how I feel. I exercise daily (a lot), eat well, meditate in the morning, practice deep breathing when my thoughts overwhelm me... I just feel so disappointed that I am working so hard to be well, and yet I still am struggling so much.

Any stories from the lovely women on this forum would be fantastic!

Thanks in advancesmile

6 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Here you loud and clear Roger that.

I question even bipolar... my moods are so up and down. Hour to hour, minute to minute...before the gaps were much longer at the time my periods stopped, and the gap is closing in a year later..but i know it will change, just a very long process indeed. I see myself trying to figure it all out and

im so sick of analyzing it i just go with it and not try to control it, just go through it...Our minds are our worst enemy. 

Im the same Bev, and i see many other ladies same same. 

The moment my mood lifts, i want to get thins done, call people, organize, laugh, do stuff, then the cloud comes over and i lose alllll interest and the mood is very dark. Thats why i thought wow maybe all of us ladies here (or the ones who experience this) have bipolar now!  ya never know! 

Im grateful for every single day of my life,and just cant believe that i have this gift on earth. I take NOTHING for granted, i maintain my humility, and persevere.

x0x0x0

• Posted

Hi Mauiblue,

Thanks so much for your candid reply. Yes, to me it feels like bipolar on steroids. I keep calling a close friend of mine to ask him: do you think this is all hormones, or could I have something else? He reassures me every time, and tells me that, yes, it is all hormones. 

Yesterday, it started with numbness, where I forced myself to water my garden and then get on my bike to cycle over town to meet my boyfriend for lunch. I felt depressed, detached, and out of it. I cried off and on during the ride home. Then I called my friend, Troy, in total frustration and cried again. I then went to work and started to feel a little bit better. By the time that I was hiking in the evening, I was calm, quite happy, and able to engage with others. I came home feeling strong and proud of myself.

It is incredible to me that we have the power to live through this, but knowing that I am not alone in my suffering does help: I feel less isolated.

Sending love your way xo

• Posted

You sound like me, I’m struggling at the moment, doing yoga, eating well, meditating & walking & cant shake this hormonal nightmare, I’m 46, how old are you?

• Posted

Hi Chrissy,

I am turning 50 in a few months. I feel like this started for me close to two years ago now, but the really intense symptoms have been going on for about nine months or so.

• Posted

Hi bev 

I’m doing the same thing even though dizzy and tired still work out eating healthy taking all my supplements but still this is awful . 

It’s like you overthink everything and your brain is never at peace ! 

• Posted

Hi Lori, I agree completely about the overthinking!  Lately, I’m trying harder to remind myself that this won’t last forever.  It helps to talk about it. 🌸

• Posted

Hi Liz .... I’m trying to focus on the positive stories whereby women say ‘it gets better’ that’s what we should focus on. I swear this has been  the worst nightmare ... I NEVER in a million years thought it was like this! 
    • Posted

It will get better.  I’m learning to take each day a step at a time.  It helps a lot and makes me feel less overwhelmed.
  • Posted

Hi Bev i am 47 and for the last 2 years i have had awful feelings of doom and suffer from anxiety, and health anxiety. I  worry constantly about my health and my families health. I even obsessive about my dogs health. I fear many things now, and was never like this. My periods are  closer together then further apart, i have muscles twitching, dizziness, aches and pains all of which make my anxiety worse. I used to be a bubbly person now i feel i have changed so much, i cry all the time and feel sad and lonely even though i have a loving husband. Your not alone x 
    • Posted

Hi Amanda, I’m also 47 and have had those same symptoms for the last 2-3 years.  I had an ovary removed 2 years ago and that made it all worse.  The health anxiety is nonstop. 
    • Posted

Hi Amanda 

You’re not alone ... right there with you . It doesn’t matter how many people you are around if you don’t feel stable mentally it’s like you always feel alone . even in a crowd you’re not present in your own body and you feel spacey not present . 

It’s insecurity and loss of confidence as we’ve been knocked off our feet by Mother Nature and it’s a real blow to ones ego ! Something out of our control . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.