loss of dog

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi!  I have just recently found this forum, and not sure if i should be posting on it!  I lost my beloved pet and guide dog Harley 3 years ago come 25th June, and its as though it was only yesterday!  I just can't seem to get over his loss!  People keep saying (he was only a dog) but he wasn't that to me!  is there anyone out there prepared to listen? its as if part of my life has gone!  Val.

6 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Val..I know exactly where you are coming from. I lost my little Lucy, a tiny Yorkshire Terrier 4 years ago on 21st April. I still have her ashes, I can't part with them.I miss her so much. I did get another dog 6 months after she died, a Bichon Friese dog called Dylan. Although he is a lovable little dog, he will never take the place of Lucy. So sorry for your loss.
    • Posted

thats the thing anne

dogs to dog lovers

are more than things 

you can cope with loosing things 

but dogs become part of us

so when we loose them its like loosing a family memember 

and hurts as much .only non dog lovers dont understand

• Posted

Hi Ann!   Thanks so much for getting in touch.  People keep telling me that after nearly 3 years, I should be getting over my Harley!  Ann I just can't seem to get over him, and there's not a day that i don't cry for him!  I know he was 12 and a half, and his back legs were going, but that didn't make it any easier!  I know he would have hated being incontenent, and I wouldn't have liked that for him, so did the only thing i could and have him put to sleep.  I miss him so much, and can't bring myself to put another dog in his place!  Thanks again for getting in touch.  So glad i found this site, as people have been so kind and understanding, and its so good to be able to talk about Harley.  Val.
    • Posted

I was sad to read this, but I do understand. I lost my beautiful cat of 17 years almost a year ago. I was torn to pieces; I didn't think I could ever have another pet. But we did adopt another cat, he doesn't take his place, but he is happy to have a really good home, he loves me and I love him. It doesn't stop me missing my little angel, but I know he wouldn't have wanted me to suffer, just as I would never have wanted him to suffer. I still cry, but I think I feel happier knowing I can love another animal too. I hope you don't feel you would replace your Harley, it would/could never be like that. You would open your heart to another gorgeous animal who wants to be loved and love in return. It might help more to have another animal in your life, I think I would be grieving far more if we didn't get another cat. Honestly, once you get over the guilty feelings which are normal, you know you have given another animal a wonderful loving home, and it really is a special thing to do.

The fact you loved Harley so much shows that you are a wonderful person, what animal wouldn't want to be your best friend?

• Posted

Hi Sally!  Thanks so much for your lovely message.  Had a really bad day with crying yesterday, because it was 3 years to the actual date since I lost my lovely Harley.  I just can't bring myself to get another dog, because if anything happened to it, i'd have to go through the whole process again, and I don't think I could take it! I love and miss my darling Harley so much, and sometimes even now, i can feel his presence.  Thanks again for your kind message, it was very much appreciated, knowing that i'm not alone in my grieving for my beloved Harley.  Val.
    • Posted

Hi Valerie, I think I understand your fear. But although you worry about feeling the awful loss again, I feel as loving people we need to take chances and giving our love is an essential part of life. I fear losing my husband more than anything else, I couldn't live without him, but I wouldn't be without him to spare me the grief if you know what I mean? Losing a pet is like losing a family member to millions of people across the globe, but we must live and let ourselves be happy, allow ourselves the love of a best friend as many times as we can. Oh bless you, I feel for you so much. I only hope you can change your mind in time, I know your beloved Harley would have only ever wanted to see you happy. Think about doing some voluntary dog walking to ease yourself into the idea.

P.S. Harley sounds like one hell of a best friend, you were lucky to have him, and in your heart and right by your side he will always be.

• Posted

Hi Sally!  Darling Harley wasn't just my pet and friend he was my guide and eyes until he was 10, and then he had to retire because of ill health.  He had never kept good health even as a guide, but would have guided me until he dropped, but I wouldn't let them do that to him! When he retired, I kept him as my pet, and he was my loving dog till the end when his back legs went, and I had to get him put to sleep, but I couldn't do anything else, because he couldn't get up from the floor, and had to be carried out to do his toilet! He would have been so upset if he had become incontinent as he was such a clean dog, and used to get upset even if he was ill in the house!  He was my 5th guide, and I just couldn't bring myself to get another.  Val.
  • Posted

i understand ! i have a dog too . and i love it . it just like my family .yes ,it is . but you shouldn't be so sad anymore .if you really love dog .you can pick another one ....

maybe you will feel better ...

• Posted

My heart goes to you. Pray, just pray, and send love. He'll hear you and if he can he'll return. XXX Teresa.
    • Posted

Hi Teresa!  Thanks so much for your kind words. There's not a day that I don't tell Harley that I love him and pray for him. Do you really think he can hear me?  Do you think he knew or know's that I love him and still do?  Teresa, i'm taking this very hard, and although i've had 4 other dogs, Harley and my second dog Prince were really special!  Harley and Prince were so alike, and I think that's why i'm taking Harley's loss so badly!  Thanks again for your kind message.  Val.
  • Posted

I hate that saying.....hes only a dog.WRONG. They are family and you grieve them as you would a family member. Its ok to cry. ..its ok to feel the way you do. ..youre 100% normal
    • Posted

I agree 100% with sassybees. It is important to mourn the loss of a pet - household or domestic. If that takes tears, buriel ceremonies, going to bed and pulling the bedclothes over your head, singing laments, writing poems of lament then if it expresses your feelings and relieves them then do it but with regard to your reponsibilities to the living. I would cry caution if binge eating or drinking are involved. Respect for the living and the dead are the key. 
  • Posted

Many religious leaders including Billy Graham and the Pope believe pets go to heaven, comforts me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.