loss of dog

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi!  I have just recently found this forum, and not sure if i should be posting on it!  I lost my beloved pet and guide dog Harley 3 years ago come 25th June, and its as though it was only yesterday!  I just can't seem to get over his loss!  People keep saying (he was only a dog) but he wasn't that to me!  is there anyone out there prepared to listen? its as if part of my life has gone!  Val.

6 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes to some people he might have been just a dog, but to dog lovers like myself, my wife and you they are a lot more than just that.

They are like little people with great endearing characters and personalities, who become important members of our family through the selfless love they give us.

When they are no longer with us we do miss them very much, and their loss to us creates a huge hole in our lives which is difficult to fill.

So yes valarie I do fully understand what you are saying and I empathise, because I have been in your position, and I understand only too well what it feels like.

• Posted

Hi Archemedes!   Thanks so much for understanding.  Its so good to be able to come on this forum and talk about Harley knowing that people aren't going to come out with comments like "He was only a Dog."  Thanks again for taking time to reply it was much appreciated.  Val.
    • Posted

Val, do you feel you would like to tell me more about Harley, because I am very interested in all sorts of dogs?

Sometimes it does help to talk about important things in our lives that are no longer with us for one reason or another.

I will undersatnd if you find the topic to painful to discuss.

Arch x

• Posted

Hi!  I'd love to talk about my Harley!  First of all, he used to get the nickname of Puppy!  This was because when i got him and was married to my first husband, he had a dog who was much older. Harley was such a gentle and sensative dog.  He was very much a mum's boy.  If i left him to go out with my friend without him, when i came home, he used to greet me with a toy in his mouth, and as i used to say, "Sing me a Harley Song!"   All he wanted to do in life, was please me.  In all the years i had him (and he lived till he was 12 and a half) i never knew him to growel or go for any other dogs.  He never groweled at any human either. I got him when he was 18 months old.  Unfortunately, his back legs were going, and he kept falling over.  I could go on and on about him, but i don't want to bore you!  He was put to sleep in the house, as i couldn't get him into a car because we couldn't lift him.  The vet was very good and i was with him when he died.  Everyone who knew him loved him!   Hope i haven't bored you by talking about him so much!  Thanks so much for allowing me to do so.  Val.
    • Posted

Not at all, I enjoy hearing about other people's family dogs, particularly their foibles and idiosyncrasies (the dogs I mean).

You don't say what breed he was, as some dogs warm to people more than others.

We have a mad 7 year old Westie, and believe me he is 'mad', but  such a  loving and caring little creature that I really don't know how we would go on without him.

I am fully retired, and often when he sees me plonk myself down in a lounge chair at the end of the day will leap up carefully avoiding me, squeeze in beside me and rest his head on my knee, as if to say 'I know how hard it can be old man'. Absolutely precious.

Valerie you can speak as much as you want to me about your Harley or any other dog that you have or are considering getting, as I do understand.

R x

• Posted

Hi Archemedes!  Harley was a Golden lab retriever!  He was Guide dog no. 5, and after he retired i kept him as a pet, because i just couldn't give him up.  I loved all of my dogs, but he and my 3rd dog Prince whom i also kept after his working life were something special! Harley and Prince were very similar in nature and temprament. Like Harley, Prince was very much a mum's dog.  When Prince was a puppy, he'd been very badly treated, and at first, they didn't think he was going to make it as a guide.  One of the instructors didn't give up on him however, and said that if they could find the right type of person for him he was sure he'd make a good dog.  Luckily i came along, and what a faithful dog he was!  Hope I haven't bored you by telling you all this!  I can just see your little ball of fluff!  What do you call her-him?  Val.
    • Posted

dogs are our soul mates ,we take care of them and love them and they love us back . 

cant always say the same for humans .

• Posted

Hi Tiswas!  Quite agree with what you said about dogs.  You could scold them as much or as many times, and they'll still come back for love!  They give you undying love and affection!  Val.
    • Posted

our patterdale cross terrier gets up and sits back in our arms like a little person she has always done it she likes her belly rubbed and then she doses of . then its thanks iv had enough and she gets down . 

she was rescue iv got something about rescue dogs i think its because they have already been rejected i some how feel they need more love i am a bit like paul o'grady want to rescue all of them and love them better

loved him in that dog show. made me laugh but you could see geniue concern which you only get from a true dog lover . we also rescued a boxer she was a old softie to .

we also have my daughters dog his name is scruffy puppy he is a border terrier and a holey little sh*t , she rescued him from a social media site , then split with her partner went into hostel so we said we would have him till she got a flat over a yr on we still have him . 

his cost us a fortune in the garden we had plastic coated chain link fence he squeesed thru and then we couldnt reach to get him and he would just sit with the flowers barking at them ,

so we have had to replace it with wooden fencing and a gate  but his still trying to find a way in . but when he sits there looking at you with that who me ! look with his ear flipped back  you just cant stay cross . 

he also hides bits of food all over the house behind curtains and under sofas  and in your shoes ,its a nigth mare we are trying to sell our house at moment .  

• Posted

i am fed up with this val iv just re written my story about our terriers and once again the bleeding moderator has blocked it 

i didnt mention any name of a site this time only said it was a social media site . .if you would like to talk via  email let me know pm and i will send you my email . 

• Posted

Good morning Val hope all is well with you today.

Incidentally you do not bore me at all, so please stop thinking that way.

Our not-do-little Westie is called 'Dizzy', and I'll give you one guess why he happened to inherit that name - you got it, he's daft, but what a joy.

Before him we had a Tibetan Terrier who we bought as company for my wife's aging mum.

Unknown to us at the time, the chap we bought her from was one of those rogue breeders that appear so often now in the news.

We later discovered that he had bred her to within an inch of her life, so from day one with us she was constantly ill.

We continued to support her as best we could irrespective of the huge vets bills, but in  the end she contracted cancer and had to put down - which believe me broke our hearts.

How can people be that cruel?

Anyway we decided that we would never again take the risk of buying a rescued or breeding animal, so we bought Dizzy as a puppy from a Kennel Club breeder, and he's been great from day one.

Tiswas is completely correct when she says that they give us uncomplicated, unselfish love.

Rod x

• Posted

Are we allowed to have each other's email addresses? if we are, that would be fine.  mine is: _______ why is your story being blocked?  I don't understand that!  Val.
    • Posted

Hi Archemedes!  What a pity about your last dog!  How old was she when you had her put down?  I bet your little ball of fluff keeps you on the go!  The dog I got after Prince was called Wendy, and had to be put down when she was 9 because she had cancer.  After Wendy, i got a black lab called Jan.  She was a tough cookie, and i had to put a lot of work into her.  She became a good dog in the end, and lived till she was 14.  I kept all my dogs as pets after they retired from their working life.  I used to call Wendy the little lady, because she was so ladylike! Hope you've enjoyed my story, as i've enjoyed yours.  Val.
    • Posted

"once again the bleeding moderator has blocked it"

Both posts get blocked because you are using profanities, not mentioning Facebook. If you don't want them blocked do not swear or star out words like sh*t. If you have any issues in the forums you can message me at any time.

"Are we allowed to have each other's email addresses?"

We do not allow emails to be posted in the forums. If you want to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

There is an FAQ/Help section linked at the bottom of every page in the forums which covers these and other points.

• Posted

Hi Tiswas!  You did make me laugh when you told me that story about your little dog.  Just feel as though i could pick him up and hug him!  Bet he keeps you on your toes!  Val.
    • Posted

Hello again Val.

Molly was 9 when she contracted an incurable malignancy - so very sad.

Val, it is considered unwise to offer your pivate email address or any other personal details other than your Christian name on the open forum, because you simply do not know who is looking or how they would use that information.

If you would like to pass-on private details, or in fact to share personal matters then please do so by using the private messaging service which is part of this forum.

To find it just look-up the user name of the person you would like to contact, and appearing near to that name you will see an icon in the form of an envelope.

If you click that envelope you will be taken through to another page that allows you to write and send a private email.

When you have a message waiting for you that envelope icon will turn red.

In any event I would still ask you to be extemely guarded as to who you pass any private information such as email addressed or telephone numbers.

This information is not intended to frighten you, and neither is it intended to imply any 'cloak and dagger' stuff - it is is merely given as a precautionary measure to protect you.

Regards

Rod x 

• Posted

Hi Rod!  Thanks so much for that! i see what you mean, and have taken a note of your advice, and in future if i want to contact anyone i'll use the private messaging service.  Val.
    • Posted

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't use the general forum for general comments or posts. It just means that you should keep private matters private between you and the intended recipient.

With my best wishes

Rod x

• Posted

i was not swearing it was a term of frase  describing my litle terrier lots of people use it ,   his a holey little s--- but i love him . 

god!  and i think i asked if val would like to chat by email i would pm her .

• Posted

Hi Tiswas!  In future, lets send private messages via the private message section. Val.
    • Posted

i thought i was hun .  i get muddled with this blooming condition .the past 5 weeks iv had a job to stay awake . i  will try my best to get it right . 
    • Posted

Hi Val ~

We've had a shetland sheep, 2 yellow labs and now a very  stubborn beagle, luckily she's sweet smile  j/k  There is nothing to say more about labs.  They are definitely a breed that is so sweet, if one doesn't know what dog to pick as a family member, a lab is what I'd suggest.  Great with kids, too!  

We have our beagle, Maggie, as a rescue dog.  She just spoke to  us when we were looking at that time.  She's getting up in her years now so her hearing I think is a bit off or she sure has me fooled  lol

I'm hoping by you coming to this site has changed your mood and you are seeing you are going to mend from your loss.  Many "dog" lovers totally get what you're going through and can lend an empathetic ear.  You may very well help  someone else, too!

Have a joyus day and be well.

Frustrated

• Posted

Hi Tis ~

Try not to take what the mod does so personally and I'll explain why I say that.

About a year ago when I was a "newbie" here someone asked for peoples email address'.  I merely wrote what Arch wrote and that person went on a campaign with all "his" friends on here and "reported" me for offending him because unbeknownst to me, he was a regular here and had been coming here for a long time.  I tried to explain that I was not intending on offending anyone, yadda, yadda.

Well, the mod warned me that if I wanted to "fight" on the forum I would be banned.  He said to take anything personal into the intended place, private messaging.  Unfortunately, the mod has to be the look out for all of us and be unbiased as to whom is on this particular discussion.  I believe he was just telling "us" that it's not safe and gave his reasons.  

The cursing part, I don't know about that.  I know, I wouldn't have been offended but if he didn't take it out, where and who would take that as an opening to use any curse word out there.

I hope I am not going to offend you with what I just wrote because I believe I don't have a mean bone in me.  I just don't like to see anyone upset because of what someone who is in "charge" if you will, protecting "his" site.

Anyway, I enjoy reading what all of you have to say.  Tis, you have such an enjoyable spirit and it shows in every writting you put forth.  Please keep on inspiring us.

Thank you

Frustrated

• Posted

thanks for reply its annoying thats all because i was using it in a affectiante way as a descriptive word ,not an agrassive one and i wasnt aiming it at anyone as a personal insult   . that i could understand .

iv heard grandparents  say it outside .school  when collecting grandkids oh his a holey little beep but i love the bones of him .

if you took all the books of shelfs that used swear words as descriptive words there wouldnt be any left . 

it always amuses me that i see the word b-----d used alot on sites and because it means a child without a father which in its self is stupid because you cant have a child with out a father its not classed as a swear word even when it is blantley obvious its being used as one .

il never get it . so i might just not bother much infuture. with this site  i cant find away to close down this forum so i dont get any posts

.other wise i would and just stick to alternative cures not medincine and born in the 1960s pages on f/b  at least you can express your self on there . i dont mean verbaly abusive to people .thats not on ever . but just can express how frustrated you are about stuff ..with out being told off .heheheheeek

• Posted

haha, you're right about me being frustrated smile   Anyway, like I was trying to say, I don't believe the mod was attacking your character, just merely tryin to please "everyone" on this site s NO one is offended, just by chance someone else popped in on this discussion and foudn that utterly offensive.

Also, I'd like to add that you add more good to this site than I think you realize.  Please if I  can encourage you to stay, please do so.  I think all of us benefit from all our input!

Best wishes and stay well,

Frustrated

• Posted

thanks frustrated but i think anyone who would be offended by a the use of a word purely being used as a  descriptive .term 

cant watch tv listen to the radio or read many books or newspapers .

i hate being censored it really annoys me , like i said as long as its not being aimed at people or being used as abuse then i really cant see the problem .although i do get you point , i am not stupid just annoyed ,

not helped by the[ careful now tina you might offend someone] tories winning the beepbeep election .  smile

• Posted

lol silly !  In no way do I think you're stupid!  And I can agree, it is annoying.  errrmmmm, I  guess it's time to stfu :O   *wink*  lolol
    • Posted

i do like to chat to people on here and you do find out stuff that you wouldnt esles where . and most people are friendly and helpful just find it annoying being so heavly censored .
    • Posted

Georgia is particularly sensitive as she finds it difficult not only coming to terms with her illness, but also her emotions which can and do run riot.

I understand where she is coming from, as it is sometimes easy to miscontrue a single word, a sentence, the intonation or the goodwill with which it is spoken or intended.

She is fragile.

• Posted

i am not quite sure what your getting at .i have not spoken to g on here for ages .

i some times feel that just because i am a fat dolop people think i have a hide of a rhino ,i dont lots of things upset me  people say cruel things to me all the time , iv been a figure of fun and ridcule most of my life bullied at home and at school . 

i learnt to keep quite about it as telling anyone about it back in the 60s/70s just made things worse , i held all the pain in , and turned it on myself . believing i was a freak because even my own parents didnt love me so it must be my fault . 

all the pain i carried with me caused me to make some terriable decisions that added to my troubled life .

the fact that i know the self destuct mode thru experince i spot it in others like g , she says she has forgiven her mum but the anger has not left her so this is only partly true

i forgave my dad totaly because he said sorry to my face , i felt great relieve and sorry when he died .

my mum never she is selfish mean spirited and will never say she was wrong or sorry i still hold a grudge towards her and will never apolgise my life is better with out her , as hers is with out me as she has never tried to contact me to put it right either . 

we all suffer so much if our lives start of bad . like mine and many others do .  so often when we are asked how are you.

and we say FINE we really mean feeling insecure numb empty . we need to look to others for this,  if more people actuly cared about how people felt  then the world would be a happier place.razz

• Posted

heres  my doggies havent got sadie anymore.

sadie the boxer layla soaking up the rays in the window 

and scruffy puppy .

• Posted

heres some pics of my dogs dont have the boxer anymore 

sadie the boxer

layla the black dog 

and scruffy. i think if you press on them they will enlarge i would send a pic of me so u can see who your chatting to but not on main forum and theres no icon to send in pm .hope u like my furry friends 

• Posted

sorry i thought the first one hadnt gone thru . eek
    • Posted

Tis, I'm sorry your boxer is no  longer with you.  Now that is a family  friendly dog.  My daughter has one named Hannah.

Thank you for sharing (even though it says "valerie"  I love pictures.  

smile  Frustrated

• Posted

Hi Frustrated!  I was just saying to tiswas how good it is that i can come on and talk about my beloved Harley!  How i miss his Harley song!  Val.
    • Posted

I like that many religious leaders including Billy Graham and the Pope believe pets go to heaven , comforts me, since that means that after a while I   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.