Loss of energy after TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi i had a TKR 10 months ago ever since i have felt sluggish, completely exhausted. Anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I feel like that now but I am only 3 weeks post op. I hope it doesnt to go on that long lol .
  • Posted

Me too, but I am only 5 weeks post op.  The tiredness, and tears, suddenly come from nowhere.  Awake after another restless and painful night.  I hate the way my knee feels back to square 1 when I wake up.  Difficult, difficult operation that I was not prepared for.  Can't wait to get back to something like normality.
    • Posted

Glad you are tearful too, well not really glad, but makes me feel more normal . I am sure it will all be worth it in the end 
    • Posted

Pam, how long has it been, my concern is it has been 10 months no real pain in the new knee, but I just-can't seem to get my energy back like before

• Posted

Yes me too. Iam 14 weeks post op and some days I just cant seem to get going. I had some iron tablets from the doctors but they upset my stomach so stopped taking them. Am back at the consultants next week. My leg is still not straight. Have to have other knee done and not looking forward to it. Its like taking a year out of your life.
    • Posted

dont worrie joan , its still early days it will all come right , and they wont push you for the next one ,im 5 months now and will have the other knee done on monday 4th august , keep working at it  good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks for that Debbie it really does help to know other people are going through the same. Nobody at the hospital tells you all this. Perhaps if we knew we wouldnt have it done. I must admit of the two knees the one operated one gives me the least pain so I know I will have to have the other one done. Fingers crossed for me next week when I see the consultant.
  • Posted

Me too, but can't even contemplate it at the moment.  This whole thing has knocked me for six.  Problem is my 'good knee' is playing up and I feel it's holding my recovery back.  Been far more difficult than I ever dreamed.
    • Posted

How long has it been since your surgery, I, too, will likely have to do the right knee. 
    • Posted

5 weeks tomorrow. Longest 5 weeks of my life.  Wearing these dreadful stockings has been a nightmare in the temperatures we've been having.  Just back from physio and my therapist thought I should keep them on until I've seen consultant, but as that is way over 6 weeks, I've no intention of doing that.  Will burn the pigging things!
    • Posted

I am hoping to last out 6 weeks with the stockings, and then mine are going lol 
    • Posted

hi lynn where do you live ? i keep reading about these stockings ,i live in the nw and we dont ues them ,we have to inject for 14 days to stop blood clots 
    • Posted

I live in Buckinghamshire.  In this area they are particularly hot on DVT prevention.  I had injections in hospital, was prescribed a blood thinner called Pradaxa for 11 days when discharged and have to wear these God-awful TED hose for six weeks day and night with half an hour off for a shower. Just awake after another restless night. Roll on next Wednesday when I can rip the awful things off!
    • Posted

I live in Milton Keynes and the same here , I am giving myself blood thinning injections for 4 weeks , the tablets didn't agree with me. And these stockings to be worn for 6 weeks 
    • Posted

poor you , so glad we dont do that here , my friend who lives near me ,her son sells the blood clotting med s to all our local hospitals so feel lucky as he has talked numbers to me of how well they work ,have you tried to wet them with cold water while its hot , it could do as well as ice ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.