loud roaring vibration sound in ear and hearing distortion

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hi,

Has anyone experienced a loud roaring low frequency noise in ear with hearing distortion.  I woke up one morning in December of 2015 and felt like there was a gong in my head all sound was vibrating. I felt like I was in the front seat of a car driving down the highway with the back windows open halfway.  I went to doctor and found I had lost some low frequency hearing in right ear.  I was Put on steroids for two weeks.  Got hearing back but left with this loud tuning fork/motor engine sound in my right ear and random hearing distortion in both ears.  I am very sensitive to low-frequency sounds and any kind of motors, airplanes and low voices just don't sound clear.  The motor engine stops when I speak and returns after my last word.  When someone speaks to me loud enough the motor engine will stop also and than return upon their last word.  Sometime sound drives the motor engine into the other  ear and I feel a fluttering/vibration/rumbling sound in the left ear.  If I shake my head back and forth quicky the noise will stop for a second wihile doing it.

Had so many tests and scans that don't show anything wrong.  My hearing test are normal now.  It is driving me insane.  Can't eat or concentrate. Severe anxiety.  Went to audiologist and see if I could have it masked but it is to loud.  I can't believe I can still hear over this noise and distortion that is going on in my head. Some days are better than others and I think I may be getting better but it gets worse again.  I have no dizziness at all.  Some doctors told me menieres disease or virus.  I can't stand it anymore.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Donna

I certainly can. I've had that sound in my ears/head for as long as l can remember. I'm not deaf, however I have a 70%load in my right ear and a 30% load in my left. As a child I hadvonstant ear  infections , 9 of which wound up with broken eardrums. 

That being said I thought everyone had that sound in their ears, I.was a child and didn't know differently. 

Now I do. It seems like the Iran roaring or the wind blowing.. Also some ringing in my ears. I can't stand having to say "ok, yes"  when I didn't hear what was said because I'm too embarrassed to say "What ?" Over and over. 

I also need to have it checked out. Of course you've already developed other means..As have I to understand. From reading lips, body language and other senses are heightened. Especially empathy and intuitiveness (sp?).

I've had a tube 40 years ago which helped for a year or so. Every 6 months get your ears checked and irrigated. It WILL help for awhile and you can even do it at home. Make sure to ask a healthcare professional or, I'm sure YouTube would have a video outlining exactly what you'll need and step by step how to do it.

How are things now .?

• Posted

Hi, Have you gotten better??? I also have these same symptoms for 3 and a half years. Visited many doctors and no one has answers. Difficult situation. But God gives me strength and grace each day to keep on. I hope you are well. 
  • Posted

Hi

I’ve just stumbled across your post. I have exactly the same symptoms as you and have an assumed diagnosis of cochlear hydrops. How are you now? I’m on betahistine and low salt diet. I also don’t get any dizziness but have been told this could develop.  It all fills me with anxiety daily. Hope you are feeling better 

• Posted

Hi Donna,i have Menieres and have had it since i was 25 and im now 59,ive had the tinnitus for years but its been bearable,but this last 12 months ive developed a noise on top of the high pitched hissing which is just how you describe a roaring vibrating sound,it is driving me mad and much worse than the tinnitus i already had,im at my wits end with it,had an hearing test 2 years ago and i have low frequency hearing loss in both ears,gave me earing aids but i dont wear them,if you find anything that helps please let me know

• Posted

HI DONNA DID YOU GET ANY ANSWERS TO YOUR CONDITION, AS IVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH THE SAME THING! IVE BEEN UNDER THE ENT NOW FOR ABOUT 7 YEARS NOW VIA ANOTHER EAR CONDITION BUT THIS IS A NEW ONE WITH ME!! I SEE MY ENT IN 5 WEEKS BUT IVE HAD THIS THING GOING ON FOR 2 MONTHS 3 MONTHS BY THE TIME I SEE HIM. IF THE KIDS WHISPHER IM FINE BUT ANY LOUDER FORGET IT! MY HUSBAND BOUGHT ME THE HEAD EAR DEFENDERS, LIKE THE ONES YOU WEAR IN FACTORY..THEY WORK BUT I DONT WANT TO WEAR THEM!! I WANT TO BE NORMAL!!

I HOPE YOUR BETTER!!

CAN YOU LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE HAD ANY ANSWERS TO WHAT IT IS XXXX

• Posted

I have had a similar experience for several years, though mine isn't constant. It usually lasts for several days. I read about something called ttts. maybe you should look into it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.