Louise

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I've got copd and I've been advice to stay in for 3 months be safe everyone

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Everyone with copd has been told to stay home for 12 weeks at least but unless you have someone to collect pensions and do your shopping it will be impossible

• Posted

No they haven't, well not in the UK anyway. If you are severe then are considered high risk and should self isolate.

If you are mild copd like me you are at risk but not high which means social distancing and taking sensible precautions is fine. That's what I am doing. x

• Posted

Hi, Pensions can be paid direct into a bank account, and hopefully you will get help with shopping. I take it you are unable to do it on line. I'm probably telling you what you already know, but it is possible to survive without going out.

• Posted

HI LOUISE99338,

YOU CAN ONLY DO THE BEST YOU CAN DO. NO MORE AND NO LESS. FOLLOWING THE GUIDELINES SET OUT FOR YOU IS ALL THAT IS EXPECTED. GOOD LUCK WITH AVOIDING THE VIRUS.

BEST WISHES,

GEORGY0

• Posted

I would go absolutely nutty staying in the house for that length of time, I have 4 advancing serious lung conditions and am on oxygen., but I do have the advantage of living way out in the country so can drive to a nearby forest, has to be flat can't do slopes at all, where I can walk my dogs and never see a soul. Alone, I have to shop for myself, supermarket has full shelves and is virtually empty at 1.30, Get petrol etc. don't have to pick up pension it goes straight into the bank. Here it has been announced today that we are in lock down for another two months.

Stay safe peeps.

• Edited

I too have COPD. Bathing, doing what used to be everyday simple tasks and more are now military operations for me. I fully get it.

That said, being on disability requires me to be thrifty with my very limited monthly funds. I can't afford the luxury ordering my groceries on line and having them delivered. The products are 30% to 40% higher plus there is a delivery fee as well as a proper tip for the delivery person. Additionally, online ordering services don't offer the full product list that the store shelves (should) have stocked. They steer you to purchase their targeted items. They don't have the most popular products that people want most.

As a result, I have scheduled a grocery shopping trip for this Thursday and plan to be in line before the store opens. My store will have a special set aside time for the elderly and disabled to shop before the rest of the public is admitted. I will need an electric cart to shop with and may not be finished filling my list before the general public is allowed access to the store. Overnight stocking may help ensure that needed items will be available. I will be wearing a face mask as well as rubber gloves. I will take strict care about what I touch with my hands. Where I live is not a real hot area and but I don't feel that I have a choice. I'll try to shop for as much as I can afford without being a greedy hoarder. Yes I;m scared and would prefer not to go, but I must do this.

I'm not thrilled with this Pandemic either, but being as careful as I can be I must throw the dice on this problem and pray that I make it without getting sick.

All the Best and God Bless.

• Edited

No jackie, I live in the USA. This site however has never been restricted to any one country. We may have different health care systems, but all of the Earth has a common enemy in Covid-19.

From an unknown teen in China to Prince Charles this Pandemic knows no class, social status, or royal privilege. Virginia (USA) thankfully as yet is not considered a hot spot, but that is no reason relax fighting this war. Yes it is a world war that requires our vigilance and our best social behavior. Isolation and social distancing are currently our best weapons to fight with. Selfishness and greed have no power/influence in this global fight.

From Australia to the UK, from China to Italy, from America to Iran, this virus knows no borders. Let us all work together and look out for our friends/neighbors. No vaccines or drugs have as yet been certified to act against this enemy of all.

Now is the time for all to show their quality. Some will stand out for their poor behavior, but most will earn their respect. A few will go above and beyond the call of duty and should be recognised when this is all behind us. The Doctors and the Nurses and all of the other medical professionals/support personal deserve or gratitude and our unqualified respect.

All the Best

• Edited

Absolutely. I was only asking as we have help here for people in your health situation and I was merely going to suggest some options to you that the UK has put in place for people who are high risk, like yourself. I hope and pray that we all come out the other side of this. I wish you and everyone in the USA and all over the world the very very best

• Edited

Folks if you are high risk I don't think it's safe for to go shopping so do it online if you can. If not here in the UK virtually every area has volunteer groups which are on FB. There are volunteers there who will do your shopping for you at no extra cost. Please stay safe and well.

• Posted

Hi Hypercat, I am in the very high risk group. I have absolutely no choice but to go to the supermarket, there is no such thing as home deliveries here, scares me to go but what can I do?

• Edited

Hello Cat,

I recommend that you don a face mask and rubber gloves if you have them. I myself will be doing this thursday morning as I venture out to my grocery store for supplies. I'll touch as little as I can and bag (carefully) my rubber gloves and clean then for reuse in the future as needed. I will be using the store's electric cart and will be on my guard every minute. I will be relying upon my faith in god to protect me, but I'll also remember that god expects me to use good common sense too.

All the Best

• Edited

Hi Larry

I absolutely cannot breathe with a mask on, not sure they do a lot of good either as most are designed to be one way, to protect people against the wearer not vice versa, suppose they are better than nothing though, seeing people using all sorts, most designed to keep dust out, not a lot of good there. Can't wear the glove either allergic, they seem to peel my skin off if worn for more than 5 minutes so I rely on hand sanitizer and really distancing myself from any one else, only 20 people allowed in the store at any one time.

• Posted

Look on FB as there are thousands of local groups set up with volunteers to go shopping for the vulnerable groups. Also I believe cab firms are doing this too. Ok you have to pay them but it could be worth it. And how about takeaways? Aren't they still open? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.