Low back pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had steroid injections into my SI joints in my back 6 days ago. Initially things seemed good. However I now have some back pain again plus soreness in the SI joint area. Anybody had these injections and if so did they work for you and approx how long did they take to kick in? Any feedback would be gratefully received. Have got ice on my back at the moment, but don't know whether this is right or not.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Soxy. With myself , 3-10 days before relief starts and lasts 3-5 months.
  • Posted

I get steroid injections as often as often as I can get them, about every 3 months, they last me about 45 to 50 days, I was told to only put cold on the injection site, and to take cool showers for the first 3 days after the injection.  Some times my kick in 24 hrs, sometimes longer, I am told it can take 3 days.  I get great relief, some people they just don't work for them.  Good Luck.

• Posted

Thank.

Thank you for your reply.  I hope I don't have to have too many of these as one side was really painful. However, I suppose I could grit my teeth if they work!

• Posted

My doctor adds lidocaine also, the 1st time I got the injection, they gave me something before the injections, but then I had to have a driver, the pain from the injections only last a short time, so I don't take a Valium any more.  I have taken the these injections for a couple of yrs.  

• Posted

You're right about needing a driver but I try to find a driver when I can because I like that lidocaine. And like you I'm an old hand at this and I don't take anything other than my normal pain meds when I have my injection done. I know some doctors sedate their patients for these injections I think that's a little overkill because I had an injection done like that and my gosh it takes hours and there was all this prep. Like I had to change out of my clothes and into a gown I had to wear a footies and a cap too. I like my doctor that does my injections now I might be in that doctor's office a total of 1 hour, and all I have to do is pull my britches down a little ways.

• Posted

My doctor adds lidocaine to the injection so that I get immediate relief. But the lidocaine wears off after the first day. And then the steroid that they inject takes a little while before you feel the effects. So it's not unusual that you're having a little pain now if your doctor does the same thing. I get mixed results with SI injections. Most of them do a pretty good job but occasionally I'll have one that doesn't do much at all. I have recently had to start on blood thinners and for now I can't get epidural or Si injections. So twice now I've gotten trigger point injections which don't involve the fluoroscope or any of that stuff. In fact it's not a lot different than just getting an injection in your butt. I had like 70% Improvement the first time I had one of those. But the second one had little to no improvement. So as you can see these injections are hit or miss. But if you have insurance paying for it it's well worth the effort in my opinion.

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback. Am hoping against hope that these work as the low back pain has been awful. Do understand that they are hit and miss though. Am using ice to help, don't know whether that is right.

• Posted

Hi soxy sorry should not say that if you are in pain you need to try everything that's going some mite last 2 3 day 1 mite last weeks you just do not no but you have to try everything it mite take a long time to sort out coz everyone is different never give up hope that some thing mite just come round the corner and work properly. A lot of people who as had a opp never worked but keep your hopes up soxy

• Posted

I have had a doctor and a physical therapist both tell me that between heat and Ice it's whatever feels good to you. Now early on in an injury it's always ice. But at this point in the game you do whichever one feels best for you. Personally I do ice also. But that's mostly because I get hot all the time because I'm on prednisone. The doctor will tell you to ice the injection area after you have the injection. Be sure you do that it will help the tenderness.

• Posted

Hello amkoffee,

What mg and how long do you take it of the prednisone?

• Posted

Well I'm currently taking 13.5 mg and I've been taking it for a year now but not at that dosage the whole year. I actually started at 20 mg and have been tapering down. But I take it for an entirely different disease then my back. And I'm going to have to take it for several years or at least until the disease goes into remission which I hope isn't to long. Why do you ask?

• Posted

Prednisone for back pain flare ups worked great for me . But my doctor wont prescribe any more because of possible side effects. I only used for 5 days on two separate occasions. 10mg.
    • Posted

That's a typical prednisone treatment. When I was diagnosed with PMR and was told the treatment was with prednisone I was so hopeful that it would help my back pain but it did absolutely nothing. In fact since then the disease has made my back hurt even worse.

• Posted

Hi soxy I have got a bad back too .

I have everything going and for the injections when I got it done it was ok for 2-3 days then the pain came back I think I had 3 sets of injections but still did not work. Between me and you if the first 1 did not work I would not get no more

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.