Low Iron Issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just found out that my iron is very low.  Has been gradually dropping since last May and now I have to go to a hematologist for an iron infusion.  I was wondering if any of you ladies found you had iron deficiency going through peri....

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been struggling with low iron since 16. I am now 50 my iron is low as we speak. How low is your hemoglobin ? You can naturally increase it with supplements. It only take 2 weeks to build up
    • Posted

I have a hard time with iron supplements because of diverticulosis. It binds me up and can cause a flare up so my doctor suggested the iron infusion. I did take 1 today and will every other day until I can get the infusion.
    • Posted

To Nancy and Ellen: If you can't take iron pills, you may want to try a liquid iron supplement to help with your anemia. I had to have a blood transfusion a couple of years ago because I wasn't taking iron on a regular basis--mostly because the pills hurt my stomach too and make me nauseous. I later was referred to a hematologist for an iron infusion, but I took liquid iron faithfully (in a small cup of orange or apple juice) and my levels were brought up from 7.3 to 11.9, which is in the normal range. If you want to know the brand I take (which also has vitamin C) you can ask me--don't know if I can post brand names or not on this site?
    • Posted

I still take iron tablets daily coz I don't what my iron to drop again 2 is very low that was in July I'm now above 12 this was all caused by monthlys been very bad
    • Posted

What is the name of the liquid you use? The supplements gives me heartburn
    • Posted

That's great that you're blood count is above 12--the normal range! My anemia was also caused by heavy bleeding due to large fibroids. Keep up the good work!
    • Posted

Ellen and Nancy, I'm not sure if you're in the UK or the US, but there's a company in Utah that's called Angstrom Minerals. I've purchased both from them directly and also via Amazon. Their liquid iron is cell ready and bypasses the GI tract, so it's great for those who have had a gastric bypass surgery, since they can no longer absorb iron very well. By the way, I don't have any stock in the company or anything, just know it works because I've been using it for a few years now. It's not cheap, but you get a 32oz. bottle, so compare prices of other liquid iron supplements out there. Good luck to you both!
  • Posted

Hiya Nancy I had low iron last year in July mine went dwn to 2 so I had to have ferritin tranfusion twice and it went back to normal I still take iron tablets daily mo e went low due to having heavy periods .
    • Posted

Lindy,

Thank you....what kind of symptoms did you have with low iron?

• Posted

I know this question was not directed to me but my symptoms are: mainly during and after my period shortness of breath and palpitations when I walk a distance or up stairs, crave ice. This is my main problems with my low iron levels. Mines was at 6.1 a year ago. I am sure it is still low. I try to take my supplement but it too hurts my tummy. I know black strap molasses is great in helping increase iron levels. I haven't had an iron infusion they wanted me to get a blood transfusion I declined. If we have suffer all our lives from anemia why get a blood transfusion our bodies will go into shock as it is not use to having high levels of hemoglobin. What have been your symptoms ?
    • Posted

Pretty much fatigue, achy legs and joints, a little light headedness. My doc said my achy legs and joints are because of that.
    • Posted

Hiya mine were shortness if breath sleepy cracked mouth at corners gums very pale and I was for ever eating icepops they said I was lucky and any lower could of went into cardiac arrest they sent me for scan in stomach and all that was clear had scan on uterus and ovarys they were fine but just womb had abit of thickening.
    • Posted

Mine is in the 10 range but it shouldn't be lower than 15. Yours was really low! I just need to nip in thebud before it gets worse. I'm having an endoscpoe down on the 19th for tummy issues

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.