low right sided ibs pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I Have suffered for years with ibs usually lower left side. This year I have ha couple of right sided flares. The pain is low in pelvis and groin fairly constant. Have had pelvic ultrasound and abdo ultrasound all clear. Get told just ibs but it is awful and I worry if its something worse.

Has anyone else had their symptoms change or has right sided pain with ibs everything says only on left I am very anxious.

Thanks

Maria

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Maria, check out the reviews on amazon for this Symprove probiotic drink people use for IBS. I'm not a sales agent, lol, i have CFS and am looking to buy it but kept coming across positive reviews with regards to IBS sufferers. Apparently Symprove is going to be available on prescription in the future, according to the company.
  • Posted

Try Silicol Gel for IBS. Its working really well for me so far, only been 2 weeks and i havent had to touch my perscribtion meds. Also its not as expensive as other medications such as symprove, or probiotic medications. But as your pain is quite low down maybe get check by a gyno. smile My IBS is menstral related. Just a thought but definatly worth a check.

Good Luck

• Posted

Dear maria39241,

I am not medically trained but I am 99% sure there is nothing seriously wrong with you because I had the exact symptoms you describe and went for a colonoscopy, xray and CT scan and there was nothing there except my IBS symptoms. My consultant said that he had carried out extensive tests on people with both left and right groin pain and had never found a thing. He could not explain why we have this nasty pain but put it down to a symptom of IBS.

Hope this helps to put your mind at rest.

bob

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying everyone.

Robert you have really helped me as I have had a lot of tests not colonoscopy as consultant said not necessary, had one some years back just ibs he said and start of diverticulitis. I am a worrier so it does not help. I am now getting windlike pains over the abdo and bloating after eating. Do you ever experience this. Colpermin has not helped.

Thanks so much

Maria

• Posted

Hello maria,

Remember, I can only answer you honestly, I am not medically trained and I would suggest you speak to your GP before trying anything that works for me.

1) I get wind like pains over my abdomen and a bloating feeling after eating as you describe.

2) Colpermin did not help me. This is peppermint oil in a gastro-resistant capsule. Instead they gave me Buscopan which does help with cramping as long as you take it at least 30 minutes before a meal.

3) I find fennel seed is best to get rid of wind like pains but I don't know how it works. Some people say you should not take fennel seed if you are pregnant. I am just telling you what has been said to me.

The the thing I am concerned about is when you say you think it might be something worse. Please don't jump to any conclusions without the proper tests being carried out. I was treated for diverticulitis for two years taking metronidazole and cyprofloxacin, these are powerful antibiotics. The consultant said "We need to rule out the possibility of bowel cancer" I don't mind saying this put the fear of god into me. There was a 35 week waiting list for a colonoscopy so I paid for it myself. The cost was £831.00 to go private. I now have a copy of the report after my colonoscopy which says no sign of bowel cancer, no divertulitis and no inflammation. Obviously, I was pleased with this result. The reason I am telling you all this is, don't jump to any conclusions until you are tested and the doctors and consultants are absolutely sure. You can worry for no reason and in reality you just have IBS which although painful is not a very serious complaint as long as you eat properly and avoid things like wheat, milk, cheese, citrus fruit and coffee. I have also been told to avoid alcohol.

80% of what we worry about never happens!

I hope this helps you because I am a worrier to.

Best wishes

Robert

• Posted

Thanks once more Robert for your speedy reply. Yes, I have had many tests this year to rule out anything sinister so should feel confident. I suffer badly with health anxiety due to nursing my mother with terminal cancer not colon. I know in am being silly but it is when symptoms are a bit different or last more than a day or two I worry. I am now on day 10 so early days. Have had ibs since my 20s now an old lady of 63 and flares have lasted months

I have some buscopan, in fact a cupboard full of ibs and functional dyspepsia meds, yes got that too. My consultant said many people with ibs come back worrying symptoms are different but it happens.

I too have paid privately for all my tests. The abdo ultrasound was only 2 weeks ago. If this bloated pain would go the nausea would too so I will try the buscopan.

You are very kind

Maria

• Posted

Dear maria,

It's me again, I must say I am very interested in you condition because it seems that I am exactly the same as you. What ever the consultant says about men getting pain on the left and women reporting pain on the right, well I am now getting both.

I am beginning to think we get trapped wind in the large intestine and its all to do with what we eat.

My trapped wind gets so bad that I start getting headaches on the left of my head and it's always in the same position.

The solution for me has been to start the low FODMAP diet. This is a diet which tries to iliminate all short chain carbohydrates which are not properly absorbed in the small intestine.

The problem is that they cause water to enter the large intestine leading to gas, bloating and diarrhoea.

Since I have been eating a low FODMAP diet my pains have slowly gone away. But I must stick to it, the really bad foods are cereals, bread, biscuits, cakes and pasta.

Fructose in fruit juice, honey, peas, jams and snack bars. And finally sugar alcohols in fruit with stones and some vegetables such as onions and leeks, also sugar free gum.

For a full examination of this diet google "NHS FODMAP" then "foods suitable on a FODMAP diet (PDF, 369kb). I know that if you have my type of IBS this will help you.

Very best wishes

Robert

• Posted

Hi Robert

Thank you for your advice I am about to try the fodmap diet.

Since we last spoke I got such bad lwr right pain slight fever low blood pressure, my husband took me to a and e and they kept me in. I was not too keen on this but I did get an emergency ct of abdo and pelvis which were clear, I also had x rays and blood so I was grateful for that. Diagnosis unexplained abdominal pain sent home with paracetamol.

I have come to the conclusion that tomatoes and small seeds seem to set me off so I am keeping clear of them though I love them.

Yes our symptoms are very similar and although it is wonderful to know it was clear the problem is still there though not as bad. They filled me so full of meds and I dont tolerate them well that it triggered my upper abdo burning soreness pain.

Anyway thanks for the advice

Maria

• Posted

Symprove seems to be the trick if you have hundreds to spend. Ive been using Silicol Gel and literally all of my symptoms have massivly improved. Use it for 4 weeks and then take a week off to check for improvment. and then you can carry on another 4 week dose or stop. Either way its been ace... smile Any more info needed their experts on the website for the product are amazing. Ive bombarbed them with questions on this product and theyve always got back to me within 24 hours. 

Your symptoms sound so much like mine hun. I hope this product works wonders for you too if you try it. However, still try and get medical advice too and tests done if need be. Afterall, no one wants to be on medication long term.

Good luck. smile x

• Posted

In researching my OWN CFS i came across symprove and how it really helps IBS folk, and this is ANOTHER testimonial. Symprove company say they are in the process of having it being made available in the UK through prescriprion. That would be amazing as it is quite expensive. But if it works, well worth it. Going to give it a bash to help my CFS.
  • Posted

All my pain is on the right hand side just as you described, I have had scans etc and everything came back clear 
  • Posted

Hi Maria I have had low right side pain on & off for over a year, u have had hip x-rays, gynae laparoscopy twice & nothing found. I have had Divaticular disease since 2005 & my Gp outs everything down to that, but Divatic disease pain is on left normally & my pain can be both but predominantly on right side low down almost pelvic area & is permanent, I live with it & it wrecks my life. At it's worse I'm in pain & it travels down right leg & round my back, I get nauseous, bit dizzy & generally feel unwell. I am driving myself insane with fear in case it is something sinister & I feel my Gp thinks I am a hypochondriac. I had a colonoscopy last year & it was ok just a few polyps removed otherwise clear, I've had endoscopy down & ok, I've had the CA125 blood test to check for cancer markers & thank God its ok but still this right side pain is there the only time its not is when I first wake up. It helps a bit when I have a pooo but only briefly & then its back, it hurts after I eat & I can go to loo 3/4 times a day & never feel I have properly finished. After I eat my tummy bloats & I get wind. I believe I have IBS & Divaticular but cant get a straight answer from Gp. Does any of this sound familiar to you. Sorry to have gone on.

• Posted

I'm having all of this for the past 10 days or so. I'm so scared. I've diagnosed myself with appendicitis and ovarian cancer so far. Can't carry on worrying like this but don't want to go to my GP(long story!)

• Posted

Dear ScaredyCake,

I know you say you don't want to see your GP but it really is the only solution to your problem. Remember you can change your GP if you are not happy with his diagnoses. I have done it about three times.

The thing is, if you don't see a professional you will remain in a state of doubt and worry for a long time and if it is something serious, your condition could get worse. Have you considered going along with a friend.

We can all make suggestions but there is no substitute for some who is medically trajned.

Best regards

bobcrachet.

• Posted

Thsnks bob. I'm going to go on Thursday(I'm in work tomorrow and I really do feel well)

The pain didn't occur until about 3pm today wen t away. Then popped back for 10mins about 2 hours ago. I'm wondering if it's just due to my IBS. Need more fibre in my diet!

• Posted

Dear ScaredyCake,

You do have my sympathy. I know several men who avoid the GP like the plague. They are very scared for some reason.

I was a refrigeration engineer and then a college lecturer so there is no point in me advising you on medical matters.

I can say that I also have IBS. I found that worry caused my IBS symptoms. I also discovered that alcohol coffee and and fatty foods tended to cause me problems.

The best carbohydrates seem to be porridge, brown rice and boiled potatoes. Most vegetables seem OK but fruit causes me problems. Wheat and dairy are terrible for me.

If any of this helps you, then I am pleased but please speak to a GP as they will give you much more help and information.

Best regards

bobcrachet

• Posted

Yes, wheat is my cryptonite! I avoid it at all costs. Dairy and I seem to get along ok. Will keep you posted when I go on Thursday. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated
    • Posted

Dear ScaredyCake,

I am very pleased that you can cope with dairy. Cheese and Yogurt are the top sources of calcium so ladies definitely require them to prevent the onset of Osteoporosis in later life. I know a lady who has this living quite close to me and it really is a dreadful illness.

I wish you good health

bobcrachet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.