Low white blood cell count

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all

Wonder if anyone has experienced low white blood cell count during perimenopause. I've not had any issues with mine until early this year and having had full blood count tests repeated a couple of times it was still coming up as slightly low. I've been 'in peri' for a few years now (I'm 41) but have had a particularly rough time over the past year - stress and anxiety through the roof and, like many posters on this forum, pretty much all of the 66 symptoms (sigh) but haven't heard many women talk about white cells other than on a blog by a vegan fitness and health trainer explaining how perimenopause and fluctuations in her hormones affected her count.

Thanks

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello Nikki, thank you for posting this, as I experienced this when I had my blood panel done last year. The doctor was not alarmed though. Of course he did NOT connect it to post menopause. I’ve been post menopause three years so it also affects that. I’m not saying that it’s not always something to be concerned about. I don’t want anyone misunderstanding anything on this forum as they sometimes do, not meaning you, other people. but yes that did happen to me. That’s the immune system isn’t it, and there have been posts about people‘s immune system being jacked up in menopause as well. I also read an article about it. I take really good supplements and I’m also taking Sambucas elderberry for immune system. sometimes I think we can eat healthy, exercise, think positive blah blah blah... but Perri/menopause is what it is and it’s not gonna take us down 😉 you’re not alone, have a great week xo

• Posted

Thanks for your comments, Lisa.

I've heard that the fight or flight response from the amygdala for sustained periods can affect the immune system as it thinks it's at constant battle. Along with stress for the last year, I've not been eating properly and panicking about any and everything so I've lost a fair bit of weight which, again, is making me think something must be horribly wrong.

Thanks all for letting me know that I'm not alone!

• Posted

UPDATE: I went to see a Haematologist a couple of weeks ago who didn't seem very concerned at all but re-ran my blood tests which all came back totally normal. I had been taking iron supplements for a couple of months prior as recommended by my GP and it seems my red cell issues were affecting my white count. The awful monthly flooding I'm having with peri made me iron deficient - I didn't know this would have an impact on white cells.

I'll be keeping up the supplements and going back in a couple of months for a repeat but thought I'd come back and let you know the latest news.

Oh the joys we have to endure...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.