Low white blood cell count - could this be associated with GS?

Posted , 8 users are following.

So further to my earlier thread. Had another set of blood tests taken before Christmas. Surgery phoned today with the results and said my 'infection fighting' (white) blood cell count was slightly low.

Doc phoning me next week to discuss.

Does anyone know whether this could be as a result of GS?

Thanks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

sorry, cant help, your immune system compromised?

good luck!

• Posted

No idea Leeds, just know that these cells are showing as being on the low side and the doc wants a chat. Receptionist said it could be stress related which ties in with my previous thread!

Was just wondering if there was a known link to GS. I dont get to chat with the doc until next Wed.

Thanks

• Posted

STRESS! grrrrr.... Mind you, health advice from a receptionist?.?

Keep Calm and Carry On!

Good luck!

• Posted

To be fair the receptionist was passing on the info that the doc had given her. I think

Thanks

• Posted

Spoke to Doc yesterday.. White cell count slightly low, nothing that concerns her. Bilirubin levels 'very high'. Again this was obv put down to Gilberts and I was told it was nothing to worry about. I once again explained about the fatigue etc and was told to rest well, eat well blah blah.

I give up, So frustrating.

• Posted

I only chatted on the phone. I'll pick up a copy of the results next week.

• Posted

Thanks for update. How high was the billirubin? Some gps think its nothing and they dismiss it but actually it is a drag-The fatigue. Just hits you.

I have found that working on my diet trying to figure out what I eat and when helps.

Dont give up but dont expect too much from Gps either!

• Posted

You definitely need good night sleep and at least 2 food intakes during the day with sufficient calories, but the main problem with gilbert syndrome is low vitamins and metals (mainly copper and zinc)

• Posted

ive been having this result in my blood results as well and they keep repeating the test , ive done some research and found one study that may indicate high bilirubin levels could cause a decline in white blood cell count has anyone found this to be true it has me worried sick

• Posted

Any updates? I was diagnosed with Gilbert's maybe a year ago for somewhat elevated Bilirubin (around 1.6) and weird dull ache in upper right quadrant. I also have mildly low red and white blood cell count. hematologist doesn't seem too concerned. Negative for autoimmune or bone marrow issues. I always wondered if the bilirubin and anemia were connected.

• Posted

I had low white blood cell count too a few years ago. I have GS, not sure if two are related. Could have been my vegan diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.