Lowish fibre diet

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been suffering from diverticulitis for some time now, has anybody else found that a high fiber diet causes a flair up. The more fiber I have the more pain I have, goes against all the recommendations

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello When you say you have been suffering from Diverticulitis I assume you mean you have had pain and fever etc and maybe have seen your gp for antibiotics. I am by no mean an expert on flares up because although I do have many diverticular down the left side of the intestines I have never touch wood had an actual infection needing antibiotics. As I understand the advice is a high fibre diet to prevent constipation when you well and without any infection. When you have a flare up I think you are supposed to go on a low fibre diet possible with possibly just liquids for the first day or so your gp should advise you in your particular case. Things like scrambled egg mashed potato rice and so on. This is to give the bowels time to heal then you gradually go back to a high fibre diet. That said it is true that some people have problems with too much fibre especially insoluble fibre. Even between flares you can still get symptoms bloating and mild pains but if you feel ill or have fever and bad pain probably an infection. I am sure there will be many people on here you can advise you and point you in the right direction. What affects one person does not affect another. All trial and error. Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Posted

Libralady13 is spot on with her advice. Sounds like you need to cut back on the fibre until the infection and pain subsides. In particular cut out insoluble fibre like AllBran, skins, peel, and stick to low fibre foods and lots of liquids. I can tell from your spelling that you might be in the USA, and cream of wheat seems to be a popular soluble fibre. I make veggie purees and blended soups which just slip down. Also don't overload your tummy. Small portions. When you are recovering you might like to consider a soluble fibre drink daily, like Metamucil. It bulks and softens the stools, makes them easier to pass, and helps prevent constipation. Straining with Diverticular Disease is a real no-no. Best wishes

• Posted

I found that any type off seeds/grain cause problems.. i was eating bread with seeds for 4 years thinking this was good for me wholemeal bread is good. Seeds blended in things like soups a no no for me, but I still have a flare up every 3 months just finished my course of antibiotics l have been on a low fibre liquid diet for a week now back to high fibre . Good luck I hope you find what's right for you

• Posted

For me it is the same. If I get too much fiber I'm in trouble. I do eat some fiber but watch my intake of it. I also make sure I keep my bowels open. I take Miralax at the first sign of constipation. I try not to force when having a bowel movement as I think that can hurt you. I've had this terrible disease for over twenty years and try to manage it. I have been hospitalized several times needing IV antibiotics because of the severity. Usually oral antibiotics work. On the onset of my suspecting I am getting a flair up I go on liquids for a day while using a heating pad on my abdomen then on to soft foods. If after a day I am not feeling better I'm off the the doctor. Good Luck and in my case. I limit steak unless it is ground. I stay away from seeds, nuts and skins and raw veggies for sure and I cook a lot with a crockpot to insure food is cooked soft. Every case is different but so far I have been doing well. Hugs

• Posted

Hi Jane, I've found that too much fiber causes a pain in my stomach especially when I go to bed. I also suffer a lot of pain whenever I eat yogurt or cream so avoid them as much as possible. I would like to know if anyone else has these problems as the pain is often quite severe & other foods may cause that.

• Posted

HELP.... Ive had diverticilias before but never like this THE PAIN is in my lower left colon way down not where it normally is no fever but am sick to my stomach lost 6 pounds in a week. Just spoke with Dr and he increased my cramp meds for today and in the morning if not better start in a CIPRO and Flygal . i feel he is just guessing but maybe thats what you do with this disease i have no idea what it could be. Don't know what else it could be would appreciate any ideas from my fellow suffers!

• Posted

Jane the same with me! Have you had the infections where you had to be on antibotics alot

• Posted

yes i have many times i want to be cautious about taking too much so it wont stop working someone tell me what you take fir a low fiber diet please

• Posted

I have had 2 bad flair ups in the past 18 months, needing antibiotics but often have several days of pain. When I get the pain I immediately cut back on my eating and stick to plain low fibre foods until it passes, usually takes a week or so. I find, even when I am pain free, it is better not to eat too much fibre, if I overdo it I immediately suffer pain.

• Posted

Jane the same with me! Have you had the infections where you had to be on antibotics alot

• Posted

• Posted

Hi Jane,

Yes, most certainly! Not sure if it is the same for everyone but I have found that a diet high in wholegrains, seeds and nuts and generally insoluble fibres cause me to have flare ups and/or cramps and lingering pain. Since cutting right back on insoluble fibre and increasing soluble fibre I have not had pain for over 4 months....quite a turnaround for me. I do not eat seeds or skins or wholegrains but have plenty of well cooked veggies, rice,mashed potato and take psyllium every day. It is working for me.

• Posted

Fybogel in the UK - Metamucil in the USA. Available from your doctor or Amazon

• Posted

I take mine in capsule form. You can get them from health food shops.

• Posted

Brannie, are you saying you can get Metamucil is a pill form? Is it same ingredients and can you order online? Also I want to start the Metamucil and the probitic pill the ones you hve to keep in fridge , I have never did this before but I'm desperate to MANY flares close together and too much antibotiocs!

****Attention for those that take Metamucil and pill form probiotic **

Can you tell me when you take the metamucil you know like morning, afternoon or night?

Also when do you take the probotic pill form with the Metamucil or hours apart?

***Does these two actually help flares to become much farather apart?

• Posted

I'm so sorry you have had so much to deal with. It's such a miserable and painful disease.

I get my psyllium capsules from Holland and Barrett and take two with a large glass of water 30 mins to one hour before a meal. I do this twice a day at lunch and dinner and find this works for me. When you first take psyllium you need to introduce it gradually to avoid cramps. I don't take a probiotic so I can't comment on that. I have found psyllium to be fantastic. I can't say if it helps flares to be further apart. My last one was in April but since I have been taking psyllium from the end of May and cut right back on insoluble fibre and increased soluble fibre, I have not really had any severe pains or flares. I used to get pain often and mainly through the night from symptomatic diverticulosis. Every 4 months or so I would have severe pain and pass blood and mucus when I got diverticulitis. But I'm doing OK for the last 6 months.

We are all different and what will suit one might not suit another but it has worked for me.

Good luck and hope you will be well soon.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.