lpr and rhinitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, okay so I will give my symptoms a list lol, 

1) Lots of throat mucus (thick) and constant. Which causes me to clear thraot with ahum ahum every few minutes throughout the day.

2) Slightly hoarse voice on and off.

3) occassional sore throats not due to being unwell.

4) Bloating, and burping alot but under control with operazole.

5) I wake up with what feels like a blocked bunged up nose, crusting sorry for the graphics, upon blowing i sometimes get small streaks of blood in it, I also again sorry for graphics feel the constant urge to pick at the dryness in my nose to help clear it, think that could make it bleed too, ear pops a lot too, 

so does anyone know if this sounds like silent reflux and rhinitis 

dr gave meds for silent reflux. 

was given a gel for my nose as thought bacterial, stopped streaks of blood but during think it was because it was creating a oily layer preventing drying out nostrils.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dee,

This sounds similar to what I experienced all my life - and I'm now 68.

As a young boy my mum took me to the docs as I was a "mouth breather". Doc said it was juvenile catarrh which I'd grow out of.

My ears blocked up regulalry and I had them syringed weekly. The only lasting effect was scarring that can still be seen.

I was sent to ENT on inumerable occasions about my cough and throat issues but they only yested my hearing which was defective because of the scarring.

I had every known allergy test - negatively.

I had my sinuses flushed on a few occasions.

It was about 20 years ago when I told my GP my cough was worse when I had heartburn, he made the radical suggestion that what was coming up my oesophagus was then getting into my lungs - what is now accepted as extra-oesophageal reflux (also known as "LPR", "silent reflux" and "respiratory reflux").

If you visit the www DownWithAcid org uk site / book, you will find a chapter detailing the mechanisms of extra-oesophageal reflux and some of its many symptoms.

Unfortunately, although PPIs like omeprazole are great at reducing acid to make reflux less dangerous, they may not help with the reflux at all and no drugs effectively stop reflux (be it GORD or LPR). I was on omeprazole for 15 years, the last few of which at 80mg daily.

To prevent extra-oesophageal reflux, you need to reduce gastro-oesophageal reflux. You'll have seen all the lifestyle advice - which I followed carefully to no effect.

Eventually I was desperate enough to consider surgery. (I'd been offered it in 1994 but it would have been open surgery and sounded horrific.)

I had Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication in 2008 and it was the bestthing I had ever done. I was immediately off all medication and within a couple of weeks was rifding my bike daily, building to 30 miles a day before breakfast, whereas before the op, I was anaemic from induced hypochlorhydria (from too high a dose of PPI for too long), unable to walk 50 yards.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply barretts, on occassions while actually eating I have to stop as feels like not sure if its a burning or ache all over my tongue and feel a bit breatheless which is scary, but after a short time it goes and i continue to eat but at a very slow pace, I have read that rhinitis is quite common with silent oesophageal reflux, would be nice to know if anyone had similar with their nose, constant dry or runny, sneezing, had bouts of dry mouth, the blood I am suspecting is dryness, and crusting and not helping me picking to clear it, which can make it bleed or hard sneezing does it too x I have had the throat spasms but not for a while now which is a relief, but dr never seems to want to send me for further testing which is so frustrating as a clear diagnosis would put me on the right path to get myself sorted and rid my anxiety too.
    • Posted

Barretts

i have tried several times to find down with acid org but not pulling up the site you are referring to.  Could you help?

thks Lynda

• Posted

I've sent the link in a private message.

I could post it here but it takes time for the moderators to approve it.

For anyone else trying to access it, It ends in .uk after the org bit.

www DownWithAcid org uk

• Posted

I had acid reflux that later turned into BARRETTS esophagus until I had the Nissen Fundoplication surgery. But Acid Reflux does not give you throat mucus that I know of. But Beauregard to get that checked out. All the rest of the symptoms I had before my surgery.
    • Posted

In a survey of 100 refluxers in 2014, 64% reported constant throat clearing (due to excess mucous).

If you go to www DownWithAcid org uk and find the chapter on Extra-oesophageal reflux, you'll see the explanation as to why excess mucius is a consequence of reflux.

I, too, have Barrett's oesophagus for at least 21 years. And I had LNF. It doesn't cure the Barrett's though - only ablation therapy can do that.

• Posted

You've had BE for over 21 years? That's has to be miserable; I'm so sorry to hear that. I didn't have throat mucus I had a lot of burning and cracking of the throat and the acid wouldn't stay down. However, I do understand that everyone's symptoms are different.
    • Posted

I have also read that excess mucus in the throat is due to the the reflux, I am going to take a look at downwithacid that you have posted about, 
    • Posted

Not at all. Barrett's itself is asymptomatic - it's acid and reflux (that caused the Barrett's cells to form) that cause the problems, If they're managed as mine are following LNF, I can forget all about it.
    • Posted

Barretts

may I be so bold to ask what your daily diet is.

thks

lynda

• Posted

I can eat practically anything.

When I used to have chronic acid reflux, the only trigger food I identified was pastry,

Following my fundoplication even that didn't bother me but I do try to eat healthily and keep paortions small.

But we are all different and react to foods differently. There's a lot of nonsense spoken about prohibited foods. The senior consultant gastroenterologist to the charity I chair for Barrett's patients, introduced us to an annual curry evening! Spicy foods are not a problem for most people - otherwise the Indian sub continent would be the worst affected.

We did produce a recipe book some years ago which some find useful. If you would like to download a free copy, go to www BarrettsWessex org uk, Click on the Sales tab and keep scrolling down till you see the picture of the Cool Food cookbook. If you click on the picture, you can download a free pdf copy.

• Posted

Barretts

thank you for your reply.  I will do that.  My most chronic symptom is a wet mouth, phlegm.  Food tastes so awful.  I have mentioned this to my dr who suggesting increasing tecta to 80 mg but am hesitant to do that.  So frustrating, not sure what to do?

lynda

• Posted

Hi Dee

Exactly the same as me. I treated myself to a Sinuspulse machine and it is really good, A quick blast every evening and it really helps

• Posted

Does any one who suffer from lpr has ever caused a swollen tonsil or tonsils and a bit of pain in the jaw??
    • Posted

Me!!!! I've been suffering from lpr for 12 months now which is noticeable from the presence of globus . I have literally tried everything . Had an endoscopy ( no inflammation cells all normal etc ) had a camera up my nose and down my throat ( all ok) sleep on a wedge , don't eat trigger food , take dgl and yet it is still there , well the Globus is so I assume the silent reflux is. I follow a mixture of low fodmap and low low ph . I don't drink , don't smoke , I exercise , meditate , I'm not over weight ,not really stressed apart from the normal being a mum stress , and yet I still have it !!!!!! Must admit it's not as bad as it was about 8 months ago as my whole throat and ears would feel like they were closing over , so maybe I'm healing . I'm starting acupuncture In Feb so fingers crossed that might relax some of my muscles around my diaphragm etc ... God sorry to go on there I started out with a trickle of negativity and then the damn gates gave in !!!!!!!😂😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.