lpr and rhinitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, okay so I will give my symptoms a list lol, 

1) Lots of throat mucus (thick) and constant. Which causes me to clear thraot with ahum ahum every few minutes throughout the day.

2) Slightly hoarse voice on and off.

3) occassional sore throats not due to being unwell.

4) Bloating, and burping alot but under control with operazole.

5) I wake up with what feels like a blocked bunged up nose, crusting sorry for the graphics, upon blowing i sometimes get small streaks of blood in it, I also again sorry for graphics feel the constant urge to pick at the dryness in my nose to help clear it, think that could make it bleed too, ear pops a lot too, 

so does anyone know if this sounds like silent reflux and rhinitis 

dr gave meds for silent reflux. 

was given a gel for my nose as thought bacterial, stopped streaks of blood but during think it was because it was creating a oily layer preventing drying out nostrils.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Dee,  I was diagnosed with rhinitis last year following a throat scope.  I had thought for some time that I had silent reflux.  Various symptoms but mainly the awful throat mucus which also gets bad after a sneezing bout (assume rhinitis).  I had gone for the scope because I had voice problem I used to sing in a choir and my voice kept cutting out on the higher notes.  By the time I saw the consultant for the scope I was more or less back to normal and he said nothing sinister in the throat so no lpr but that my symptoms suggested rhinitis.  The excaerbation of symptoms followed a cold last christmas and I saw the consultant in March.  This makes me think that both conditions are made worse by colds.  I am getting over another virus and once again throat mucus is a problem.  I have been on PPI's but had to come off them as they made my IBS worse.  I have heard that they don't always help with silent reflux.  I too get the crusting and blood streaks it seems to be one side more that the other.  Lately my ears have been playing up the gp gave me a spray as she said I had probably had a mild infection.  They still pop and I sometimes get buzzing at night when tryng to go to sleep.  I am convinced the two go together.  I also have asthma which usually mild but adds to the problems.  I still think I have lpr(silent reflux although the ent/voice consultant says no just rhinitis).  I think from what I have read that many gps and even consultants don't know about silent reflux and label everything as normal reflux, or they deny it exists.  Funnily enough on the sheet they gave me after the scope it gives the same sort of advice as for silent reflux.  No caffeine plenty of water no chocolate etc.  I also saw a voice therapist just the once.  Hope this helps.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.