Lpr back and getting worse. What can I do?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi there,

Until a few weeks ago I thought I was a success story here but I fear I'm a complete failure and I don't understand why or what is best to do. 

A few weeks ago my lpr symptoms started sneaking back despite my taking 40mg nexium and 40mg domperidone per day  and also Gaviscon Advance. 

My symptoms are lump in throat, horrendous burning mouth and horrendous chest pain.

I'm waiting on a ph test but that's in 6 weeks and I won't see the GI consultant for another couple of weeks after that. Each day seems to be a bit worse and now it's hurting to swallow,and food is getting stuck. I'll be honest, I'm terrified I've got something awful. The pain is constant, both in my mouth and throat and in my chest. I've been in floods of tears.

My gastroscopy at the end of April was clear apart from Barretts, the one I had before that when I had these symptoms ( before ppis) showed grade 2 oesophagitis and Barretts.

I have a gp appointment tomorrow and don't know what to do? Do I insist she sends me back to the GI as my symptoms have radically worsened? Is there any way of lessening the symptoms ( I have already made all the lifestyle mods and drink alkaline water)

I'm at a loss, just don't understand why this is happening to me. So scared my oesophagus is getting damaged again. I just don't know what to do. This condition is ruining my life. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Stella,  I'm still experimenting with different solutions.  Today, I stopped 40 mg. Omerprozol (which I think did more harm than good) and replaced it with 75 mg. Ranitidine 2 times a day.  I also tried a an old Amish formula that I got from Caleb Treeze Organic Farms.  I bought from _____.  The label says it stops acid reflux in about 1 minute. So far so good.  My wife has very bad leg cramps and she bought their stop leg cramp drink and, lo and behold, it works.  She just reordered 6 bottles.  So, I figured I'll try a bottle for $8. So far I only took 1 dose and I haven't had any bad symptoms in the last 8 hours hopefully there's something to it.  I just joined the site today.  Tomorrow I have 2 tests at Cleveland Clinic. One is the swallow test and something else involving a fluroscope. Last week I had the PH test.  I had an endoscopy last month.  I saw their ENT 2 weeks ago.  They're putting me through the paces. So, hopefully there'll be some good input over the next couple of weeks. I'll post results and suggestions from Cleveland Clinic Doc's.

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an URL (a link) from this reply as it was unsuitable for inclusion within these forums. Refrain from posting this information. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/adding-links-to-posts-257271

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

• Posted

Hi Jay, yes please let us know how your tests have gone. I was thinking of asking about fluoroscopy as it detects bile and I think that that is my problem. It will be interesting to see how you get on. Fingers crossed for you 
  • Posted

Have you been diagnosed with Pre Barretts?  What tests have you had?
  • Posted

Hi Stella

I completely understand your anxiety and your desperation but I hope to give you at least one tip for your tongue burning sensation. A lack of Vitamin B12 can cause the tongue burning. I do not take Vit B12 all the time because you can build it up fairly quickly and so I will take it for about 2 weeks or so. My reminder to take B12 is when I feel my tongue burning and it disappears after about 3 days or so of starting the supplement. Your pee turns a fluorescent yellow when you take B12 but this is normal. You can replenish your body fairly quickly with B12 so take it for about 2/3 weeks, stay off for a couple of weeks and back on again. Hope this helps if your issue is related to a lack of the vitamin.

Good luck with your other symptoms and it seems that this is not an easy fix and may take a number of lifestyle modifications and a ton of perseverence.

Also you ask whether you may be able to get hydrogen breath tests on the NHS and I just googled for it and it seems that it is available. If your GP or gastro doc does not send you for one then perhaps you can find a private practioner. I went to a nutritionist across 3 days through my private cover at £150 per test which is steep if I had to pay for it (I do eventually pay for it through my premiums) but it may be cheaper elsewhere as I went to Harley Street. I think it is definintely worthwhile as it does give you the intelligence of whether you have 1, small Intestinal bacterial overgrowth which can cause a multitude of gastro and intestinal issues and which supposedly is also easy to bring to balance with Rifaximin (not Metrinazadole what my doc first prescribed me - Thanks to Bills tip); 2, whether you are fructose intolerant which is present in a good deal of our foods; and 3, whether you are lactose intolerant.

I was diagnosed with SIBO and lactose intolerant which could be due to the SIBO. I am due to start my antibiotics prescribed for 10 days with a lactose free diet recommended for at least 40 days to bring my digestion levels to its optimum best after which I will be able to digest lactose products.

So please follow the hydrogen breath testing protocol - insist if need be with your gp that youd like to be able to eliminate the food stuffs you may be allergic to and may be compounding your current situation - as it reveals much about you digestion condition. 

Best of luck and better health wishes to you and other fellow sufferers.

• Posted

I would suggest anyone suffreing from LPR to give homeopathy a go .I was suffering very bad with it and still suffer once in a year.But homeopathy medicine always work wonders for me .I dont know what they gave me ,but it works for me.
  • Posted

Vitamin B1 helped a lot for me more than Lanzoprazole.  PPi's stop B12 and others from being absorbed so maybe get tested to see if you've a deficiency. If this works for you spread the word.  Also, Kefir, it will replace the bad bacteria with good, over time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.