LPR or something else? Bitter/sour taste.......

Posted , 42 users are following.

I'm at a loss sad

One day last November I awoke with a 'bitter' taste in my mouth.

Several visits to my GP later and I'm still not much further forward.

I'm a 43 year old female. In October 2013 I was diagnosed hypothyroid and began treatment of 50mg levothyroxine per day. Because the bitter taste started relatively soon after beginning the medication, I put 2 and 2 together and thought it was causing the taste. But, no, I took myself off the medication for 3/4 weeks over Christmas and still had the bitter taste.

I've drastically altered my diet as I thought certain foods made it worse but can't pinpoint one particular allergy or sensitivity.......

I've changed toothpaste, tried mouthwash, cut out tea, milk, all dairy, and mainly eat very healthily - fruit, veggies and chicken.

My GP suggested LPR (silent acid reflux) but it doesn't taste like 'acid' - it's just bitter/sour.

I've been on Gaviscon after every meal for over a month and Ranitidine for almost 2 weeks. The symptoms persist still sad

My mouth can get quite dry, and the bitter taste seems to be on my tongue and/or the roof of my mouth or around a wisdom tooth on one side.

I can't cope with this for much longer. It only eases up when either sleeping or eating.

Anyone know what it is or has experiences anything similar please?

Thank you xx

2 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, 

Does anyone found the solution for this metallic taste in mouth?

I am 51, suffering from this metallic taste and dryness in mouth from last 1 year and I checked various tests like diabities, thyroid level, liver test ,endoscopy everything is normal. Other blood test for vitamins,calcium,iron are also normal.

Dentist pulled out all the teeths still no relief in mouth.

Kindly suggest me if anyone found the solution for this problem, I am suffering so much. 

• Posted

In my case the bad taste is caused by Sjögren's Syndrome. This was diagnosed last year when my immunology showed positive for autoimmunity and I had a lip biopsy which was 100% positive for Sjögren's. You could ask to have your autoantibodies checked ie a full immunology screen and your inflammation levels checked.

• Posted

thank for the response. but i checked and i dont have Sjögren's Syndrome.i checked estrogen level also that is also normal, copper contain is also normal.

i dnt know where to go and find the solution of my problem.

• Posted

Hi everyone!

I'm a 29 yo male. I also have this terrible metallic/sout/bitter taste in my mouth... It started on June 2017, back then I got scared because I though it was related to my kidneys, but after a few days, I developed cough and chest pain. The sputum culture said it was a staph infection. Cefuroxime was one of the few antibiotics it wasn't resistant to, so I took it for 7 days. I was cured, the bitter taste was gone, everything went back to normal.

Fast forward to September 2017, I had glandular fever which is a viral infection. I was sick for 6 weeks but eventually recovered. But the bitter taste was back. I thought it was because of the virus, but it's been a month and it hasn't improved.

I'm wondering if the staph infection is back. I brush my tongue every day to no avail. I can't enjoy food because it tastes horrible and my throat feels hairy and sore. Most food tastes like poison, specially at the back of my tongue, the roof of my mouth and throat. My tongue gets white very often so I thought I had oral thrush but I took antifungal meds and they didn't work.

I have the theory that I might have MRSA inside my nose and my post-nasal drip is carrying the germs to the back of my tongue, which is causing the bad taste.

I don't think it's hormonal and I've taken ranitidine and it doesn't make any difference. I feel as if I were crazy because the bad taste is on my tongue, whenever I put anything on it, I immediately get this bitter, nauseating taste. I'm not overweight and my sugar levels are normal. I've been on antibiotics for 3 days and I hope it works again. In the meantime I'm very depressed because I can't enjoy food and I'm really desperate to find a solution. sad

• Posted

Hi everyone! I had a lots of tests done and it seems I have allergic rhinitis. The dr prescribed me a corticosteoid nasal spray and the nasty, foul, bitter, acid taste in my mouth and throat disappeared. It seems that the problem was inside my nose after all... Before that I was prescribed clarithromycin and I stopped coughing white phlegm. I've also found that nasal sprays with salt water help a lot. I'm slowly recovering my sense of taste and I'm happy again. cheesygrin

• Posted

Did your tongue ever feel like it was actually more bitter on one side and did it ever look pale?? I. Trying so hard to figure out whats going on with my bitter sour dry mouth. So glad you figured out what was going on with yours
    • Posted

It's funny to hear this cuz I do have two sores in my nose and one I've had for 12 plus years I wonder if that was contributing to my sour taste I started taking zinc and it helped The Taste go away but I also did start putting some cream on the sores in my nose to. What was wrong with your nose and what exactly is that nasal spray for? What's the name of it?

• Posted

Wow I just read your whole post and you said you thought you had MRSA in your nose and that's the doctor said I had two! I started using some cream and it helped. Cool to know

• Posted

Has anybody figured out what was causing the bitter taste? I'm 32 years old and have been experiencing this bitter taste in my mouth for going on 3 months. I've had so many test run and doctors can't figure it out. Going this Wednesday for a scan on my gallbladder to see if that may be the cause. I know this is an old post but hoping someone will respond. I'm literally going crazy over this mess.

• Posted

I take 25 mg of zinc everyday and it took it away. I was low on zinc I think. I had the sour taste in my mouth for months and months. After I started taking the Zing for maybe about a month, I noticed the taste was gone, but if I skipped the zink for even one day it would come back. After about 8 months of taking it every day now I can skip days and it doesn't come back. But I still take it everyday. Don't take too much I hear it can cause hair loss it never cause me hair loss at only 25 mg. I hope this helps please do try it. PS I get my zinc from a vitamin store

• Posted

Bitter is a better word it was bitter not sour
    • Posted

Hey I don't know if it's coincidental but I just read the post above and the guys thinks he had MRSA in his nose and I also had MRSA in my nose and started using cream around the same time I don't know if it was a zinc or the cream it's really easy to get prescribed the cream if you want I could tell you what kind to ask for

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reply!! I will head to my health food store and get some zinc tomorrow!! I will try anything!! Thanks again 😊

• Posted

Have you had any luck? I’m going crazy with this taste. My mouth is also very dry. 
    • Posted

Hello, are you still away from the bitter taste in your mouth? I am having this since a month ago and it is very unpleasant. Thanks!

• Edited

Hello! did you have success with the zinc? I am having this now for a month and I am a little bit desperate. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.