LPR or something else? Bitter/sour taste.......

Posted , 42 users are following.

I'm at a loss sad

One day last November I awoke with a 'bitter' taste in my mouth.

Several visits to my GP later and I'm still not much further forward.

I'm a 43 year old female. In October 2013 I was diagnosed hypothyroid and began treatment of 50mg levothyroxine per day. Because the bitter taste started relatively soon after beginning the medication, I put 2 and 2 together and thought it was causing the taste. But, no, I took myself off the medication for 3/4 weeks over Christmas and still had the bitter taste.

I've drastically altered my diet as I thought certain foods made it worse but can't pinpoint one particular allergy or sensitivity.......

I've changed toothpaste, tried mouthwash, cut out tea, milk, all dairy, and mainly eat very healthily - fruit, veggies and chicken.

My GP suggested LPR (silent acid reflux) but it doesn't taste like 'acid' - it's just bitter/sour.

I've been on Gaviscon after every meal for over a month and Ranitidine for almost 2 weeks. The symptoms persist still sad

My mouth can get quite dry, and the bitter taste seems to be on my tongue and/or the roof of my mouth or around a wisdom tooth on one side.

I can't cope with this for much longer. It only eases up when either sleeping or eating.

Anyone know what it is or has experiences anything similar please?

Thank you xx

2 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi guys, thank you for all your responses.

Thankfully, I think I got to the bottom of this...

It turned out to be fillers within a certain brand of Levothyroxine that I'd been prescribed. My pharmacist has been so helpful and orders me in a specific brand which I seem to get on with.

My advice is don't give up!! It was a long, lonely, distressing journey but keep cutting out certain things and experimenting and hopefully - one day - you'll get there...

Best wishes everyone xxx

• Posted

Zinc deficiency is one of the most common causes of altered taste in women. There are over 300 meds on the market that can cause bad taste, even after swallowing, meds remains in saliva.

Many meds can cause zinc deficiency, alterations in calcium absorption and abnormal levels of alkaline phosphotase (all three work together).

People with blockage of the bladder can experience a bad taste in the mouth because of the proximitry of sensors in the brain.

Ear problems can cause a bad taste.

You also have taste buds in your throat and esophagus, not just your tongue. 

For the lady that had an increase in bad taste after eating seafood, I would demand a test to check for mercury poisoning.

There is so much crap in our food nowadays, new meds are continuously being pulled off the market and the amount of production-based factory problems, of those who manufacture, package and distribute our foods and medications is sky high, violations in the thousands of incidents each year. 

In the U.S.A., you can check the FDA website for up-to-the-minute recalls on food & medications that can are harmful to us. There are thousands of recalls and alerts annually.

You can check with your county health department website for up-to-date water issues & alerts, there are many alerts per year, most of us never hear about.

• Posted

I've come to this thread a year after you posted it. I'm wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this awful symptom or found a cure for yours?

I have Sjogrens too but have had this awful sour taste symptom for five or six years now - worsening in severity at times but a continual presence for at least the last two years.

As part of my SjogrensI have small fibre neuropathy and some reflux and high inflammation with thick blood. I'm also hypothyroid. I agree with many different contributors here. I think sugar does exacerbate mine,as do many medications - but I crave sugar and salty food which give temporary relief - so it's a vicious circle. I Di at least make sure I mainly eat natural sugars or sweetness or very dark chocolate, honey and pink Himalayan rock salt. Spicy foods appear to make it worse too.

None of it really helps the rancid taste much so far so I haven't really found the key triggers apart from possibly being overweight and oestrogen deficiency (I'm post menopausal and mine started with RA type symptoms when I was still in throes of menopause). Some helpful clues here though.

• Posted

Has anyone found the solution for this bitter/vile taste? Does anyone have an answer? My mom has lost 20 pounds, because she is afraid of eating and having to taste that horrible taste in her mouth?
  • Posted

I have the same problem and I think it has to do with my stomach although no one has confirmed that yet. I do take Probiotics (Udo's Flora Super 8 formula) which seems to help. I have been down in depressions and almost given up on my "disease". I will go through the bottom of it.

• Posted

Hi, did the taste go away? I'm on day 4 of constant sour bitter taste in the back of my throat. It has been once side only but this morning I think it's going to the other side also.

• Posted

Did you ever figure out what was causing this? Mine is one sided as well?

• Posted

Hi I have suffered with this for over two years. Have you  managed to find a cure.
    • Posted

I have found that taking one Ranitidine first thing and another last thing has almost cured it - but I do have Sjogren's Syndrome with gastritis and also am on an immunesuppressant now so this might have helped too. 

• Posted

Sorry that you are struggling. I have Sjögren's with neuropathic symptoms and can relate to the horrible sensations you experience. I have just learned from my excellent oral consultant that I have TMJ - probably due to arthritis in my jaw. She feels that this is causing the sensation of pressure on my teeth and the Sjögren's dryness in my mouth is responsible for the lips and gum tingles. The bad taste went away after many years with Ranitidine/ Zantac (available over the counter in the U.K. twice daily. PPIs such as Omaprazole and Lanzoperaole did not help me at all though. Hope this helps a bit. Sjögren's can often affect those with MS I believe - could this be your problem?

• Posted

I have had this problem for a year now, I thrust so hard that my tongue is bleeding. I asked my dentist to drill my front teeth and that didn't help. I have multiple sclerosis and thought it was my medicines but no. This is driving me crazy I feel like ripping my teeth out! I really need someone to find The answer to this problem!! Please help spowell86

• Posted

Hi mrspinkrat...Wondering if you eventually found a solution?? 

I am going through an almost idential situation and am becoming desperate.

Please help!

• Posted

Hi I have had acid taste in mouth for two years and no cure. I take omeprazole. It stops the burning in my stomach but no effect on the mouth. What symptoms do you get.
    • Posted

I've been taking zinc 15 milligrams a day and I got results after a couple days but I have to keep taking it every day around the same time or it's comes back real strong. it's still there a little bit but it's helping a lot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.