LPR/REFLUX Under Arm Pain??

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi All, I wonder if anyone can assist?

Diagnosed with LPR  in July last year, currently on PPI 20mg morning,  Gaviscon Advance after every meal and strict diet.

Also trying alkaline water and raised the bed.

Symptoms include: Sore throat, burning sensation in throat,  pain in chest and back, lump in throat sensation and I’m now experiencing pain under my armpits!! And pectoral pain???

First thing in the morning no symptoms at all. Symptoms described appear to come on around 11:00 and progressively get worse until I sit down in the evening. When seated and relaxed symptoms subside. 

Can I ask if anyone else is experiencing any of these symptoms and particularly the under arm pain and pectoral pain.

Thank you

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there you could be suffering from stress as you mention it going when your suiting down in the evening 
  • Edited

Thanks Gillian, you may have something there. 

I had read that some experience under arm pain with LPR and wondered how common it was or if it may be a side effect of the medication.

Stress can manifest itself in different ways so that’s definitely a consideration.

Thanks for your reply.

• Edited

Simeon, several of us have had those symptoms. Not sure wht pectoral is but underarm pain, but we fill it could be swollen nodes..we apply acv to our underarms..hope this helps..
    • Edited

Hi Terrie,

Thanks for your reply. I’ll give anything a go. What is acv? 

Have you ever been diagnosed with swollen nodes or been given an explanation why they should swell?

I don’t seem to be getting anywhere with the GP 🙁

Many thanks 

• Edited

I had years ago found felt undr my arm.like a swelling and whn I had a mammogram, Tha told me enlarged lymph node..that was about 5 yrs ago. At times, my underarm gets sore..several others on forums said Tha roo had lymph swelling bleed to be caused from inflammation of acid reflux. So we all just started putting organic apple cider vinegar under our arm. It smells at first but does dissipate in a few minutes..several of us agreed it really seemed to help with the pain..so maybe it can help u..I hope so..take care
  • Edited

Most of those sound like LPR symptoms.  Instead of under arm, I had pain in my back, along the left shoulder blade.

It has taken almost 2 years, but I have pretty much eliminated my symptoms without the use of drugs, and with a lot of help from my faith in God.  I know having a belief in a higher power is not a very popular stance these days, but when asked about what worked for me, I am simply being honest.

1) Faith

2) Get rid of STRESS.  It's so much easier said than done.  All of these pains and symptoms only add to the stress.  The change of diet, and lifestyle can be very stressful.  Many people with LPR often say "I want my old life back".  People with GERD need to accept the fact their old lifestyle may have caused these problems.  We need to embrace the new healthier lifestyle, which will help the change be free of stress.

3) Diet.  I read up on inflammatory foods, and eliminated as many as I could.  Get rid of Sugars, Gluten, deep fried foods, milk, processed foods, and vegetable oil.  Also hard alcohol breaks down the protective mucous of the digestive track, so eliminate this as well.

4) Build your core.  Planking, push-ups, and breathing exercises (also helps reduce stress).  This may help build your LES and also help reduce stress.

5) As for supplements, many people want to find the magic bullet.  Something they can take which allows them to continue their old lifestyle.  Very few find a magic bullet.  I cannot stress this enough, embrace a healthier lifestyle, and do not look to the past.  I do use Apple Cider Vinegar before meals once in awhile.  I took L-Glutamine powder for about 6 months to help heal my gut, and it seemed to help.  I also try to eat foods with probiotics (homemade yogurt, kambucha, kimshi, saurkraut).

What can you eat?  Lean meats, fish, chicken, ect.  Lots of vegetables.  I like hummus and corn chips for a snack, or Laura Bars.  I limit myself to 1-2 servings of fruit each day, because of the sugar content.  Soups tend to be really good, provided they are gluten free and broth based soups.  Stay away from creamy soups.

Here is my GERD smoothy which seemed to sit well with me.

1-cup of Almond Milk

Lots of spinach (fill Ninja blender to the top)

1 Ripe Banana

1/4 to 1/2 cup of your favorite berry (I like Raspberry or Blueberry), or Mango.

Many people find that Mangos help reduce GERD symptoms.

2 TBSP of Chia seeds

• Edited

Amen to all the above. I agree 100% and then some..I was suffering as well with vertigo and faith an prayer and doing some battling helped tremendously. .my faith will never be outdated for me..I too gave up lots of junky foods and acid reversed..lately tho iv been getting back into old habits again and just beginning again to do the throat clearing again. Now iv got to pray for strength to do it again..thank you for your post..gives hope to many..
    • Edited

Thank you for your reply.

I’m willing to try anything to get rid of this terrible condition.

It really does take a great deal out of you. Very tired all the time and although the burning is starting to ease, my voice is hoarse as I have to talk a lot during the day.

Then of course it’s the back pain and the pain under my arms.

I will try ACV.

Thanks you for your help and prayers

• Posted

Do not suffer from the arm pain but have a lot of the other symptoms   I find that Vitamin B has helped a lot  to disperse the symptoms or makes them at least manageable
    • Posted

Thanks Murray,

I’ll get some tomorrow. Do you how much you need or how long you need to take them for? 

Many thanks 

• Posted

Hello Simon and my new Patient family.Im experiencing the exact same symptoms.I have bad heartburn,and lately the pain has moved to my left side of the chest,to my shoulder and armpit,it is a weird pain forsure,lots of research but seemed like I was alone,not too many people reporting left shoulder and armpit pain when feeling heartburn,scary stuff,found this website and can't believe I'm not alone.Have you or anyone on here still filling these symptoms? Any advice or help will be very much appreciated.II definitely believe in God and I love my Faith.Just prayed for us all on here.Please help

• Edited

I'm 33 with Barrett's. My entire family has Reflux. I am still on my journey of finding the "Silver Bullet". First, I just want to respond to the armpit. I get that pain also and I even think its getting a little swollen. It sometimes scares me because I'll think I have stage 4 cancer when it hurts for a while. This pain has only happened a handfull of times when i'm dealing with a major flair up. I have been on omperozal 20mg for a couple years, mixed with a good dairy free diet. In recent days, I thought I was fine and started eating things I shouldnt. After a couple months, my stomach got worse, then all at once I was back where I started with stabbing gas pains all over, back pain, pelvic pain and armpit pain at night.

I have am going to try. 40mg Omeprozal, Metamucil, Gas-x, Low FODMAP diet, and probiotics this week.

I'm told I have to manage the symptoms to allow my stomach/esophagus to heal. Feels like that process can take a week.

I always think I might have cancer, get distracted from work, and deal with anxiety in general when the pain flairs up.

If I can get my symptoms down and get through this second big flair up... that will be it for the bad diet lifestyle. Its really not worth it.

• Posted

Hi Simon,

I have exactly the same symptoms.

I just wondered if you still have the under arm pain and if it was swollen lymph nodes?

Also I wondered what PPI you are using as I understand omeprazole can cause pectoral pain in men.

Kind Regards

Jon

• Posted

Gaviscon Advance has side effects, it depends on how much of this medication you take daily. Speak to your doctor about it.

• Posted

Hi, you might find this reassuring because I believe it can be anxiety related / induced or muscle spasm / nerves related as well. I have had this very same symptoms often (I'm 22), even very bitter, acidic taste in my mouth but usually only when I think I have them and I focus on them for a little while. Try to break out of it and see if its correlated in any way to your mood, notice if you feel it more when you might think you're having them, or when your mood is down (especially if you are generally worried about it and you know the symptoms that people feel normally). You probably don't have this when your mood is up or when you do something that gives you positive emotions. I often try to fight it with my brain by forcing myself to believe that I don't have anything and that I am making it up and in a couple of seconds the symptoms go away fully, or I try to redirect the pain and imagine I am feeling it somewhere else in the body. If this works then you should see an immediate pattern between the way you think (discouraged, negative, anxious) with the level of discomfort you're experiencing physically, especially if you consciously focus/ ruminate on it too much. This made the symptoms go away (chest pain, stomach, back, shoulder blades, armpit pain as well as acid reflux symptoms)completely for me as it seems that your brain is inducing either muscles spasms or it triggers the nerves around that side of your body that produces the sensations that you're describing. So notice if that makes it go way, if it its that then its anxiety related, I know it feels very real but there's actual studies that show how you body becomes more sensitive (mentally) and then gives you these sensations or triggers some of the nerves/ muscles that make you feel this way. But please do the necessary medical investigations either way if necessary in the future, even for your piece of mind! Please try it, its been quite a revelation for me! All the best!

• Edited

Wow. I am 42. I have the same exact symptoms as you. Its my 5th week experiencing this flare up. I was on Omeprozal and Pepcid AC for couple weeks but didn't feel any difference so stopped. Just started drinking Slippery Elm and Flax seed for the acid reflux. Lots of alkaline water. Only been few days but helping a little. Hoping it works. Back to my GERD flare up diet as well. Recent Blood work was good as well as xray. Have an endoscopy scheduled next week. Hoping it turns out well. The arm pit pain is the strangest. Never felt that before during my flare ups. The other symptoms I have experienced before but never all at once. I definitely feel anxious about all of it and perhaps it could be something related.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.