LPR / Silent Reflux sadness. Do you have blocked ears?

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I have had LPR for two years without much success with PPIs. I do not get the burning but i do get a constant mucus feeling in my throat, some coughing, tightness in back of chest and above all the feeling that my ears are blocked all the time and post-nasal drip. All i want to do is sleep now because it is making me very sad and lonely.

When will this all end?

4 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Elle, yes I get the fullness feeling in the ears too. I hate this disease! I'm waiting for a referral for surgery as the ppis haven't really helped me.  One ENT said that reflux couldn't reach that far, another said that it could get anywhere. They are scrabbling around with this problem. I'm fortunate in that I had oesophagitis too so was put under the gastro department, and loads of tests later I'm hoping this problem will be gone permanently.

Lansoprazole didn't work for me, so I'm on Nexium.  Don't be afraid to ask for a change of tablets if yours don't help. 

• Posted

lots of people with silent reflux get blocked ears. It will reach and reach until it can go no further surely. I had the fullness in ears and it was bad then found that when I stopped taking the medicine the blocked ears went away and have so far stayed away. Likewise the cough came on due to medication and then almost totally disappeared when I stopped taking the medication.
    • Posted

I was off the ppis for a month recently, I should have realised what would happen - gradually my throat got worse and worse, only on the left and then my left ear started hurting again. I'm in a mess again now, but extremely thankful that I'm a candidate for surgery to stop all of this. Every time my throat plays up it completely terrifies me.  I went to see the ENT consultant last week and he said there was damage from acid in my throat again. So depressing :-/ 
    • Posted

Hi Stella. Sorry you feel so bad. Please tell me what this surgery is you are down for. I always get problems - blockages and pain in my right ear and likewise if my nose gets blocked and I get polyps its always the right nostril mostly. I also get bad headaches which are delibilating.
    • Posted

You said that caugh dispersed when you stopped medication. My caughing started when I was on dexilant for  two weeks. Do you think it really can be due to medication? Maybe reflux too. It all started when I started dexilant. It supposed to treat reflux. What do you think?
  • Posted

Did you try dieting? It helps.but you have to stick to the diet and follow it for long time.
    • Posted

Hi,

I read that some sufferers have much success with dieting and "dropping acid" diet but I must admit I am petite and I have never eaten "rubbish" before. So I do not know how I got this condition.

I do try to eat a more "alkaline" diet but no improvement I am afraid to say.

• Posted

I am also slender and have never eaten junk food. Me too I do not know how I got such conditionsad(

as my friend old surgeon said, - never ask such question, why. Just deal with it. 

• Posted

Today, I have officially been diagnosed with LPR 😞. The ENT prescribed me with omerprazole 20mg twice daily. I am not convinced because I know they will not work. I tried to explain to the 

ENT about my blocked ears and he looked at me 

Like I was crazy. 

I don't know how to get through this anymore. 

• Posted

Today, I have officially been diagnosed with LPR 😞. The ENT prescribed me with omerprazole 20mg twice daily. I am not convinced because I know they will not work. I tried to explain to the 

ENT about my blocked ears and he looked at me 

Like I was crazy. 

I don't know how to get through this anymore. 

• Posted

By the way everyone the ENT says try not to clear the throat and pretend there is no mucus and to keep sipping water?! Did anyone else receive this advice too ?! 

I feel like after two years I am never going to get this under control. I am not overweight and I do not believe I eat a lot of "junk food" ... I am losing weight over this sorry for my rant. 

• Posted

Hi Elle, Sorry you are feeling so down.  I am glad you at last have diagnosis although I am sure you knew this already.  It does not help when you ask a genuine question about your symptoms and the doctors treat it so lightly. This last week my right year has at times felt very full so it must be one of the symptoms of this horrible condition.  Doctors don't seem to like anything that does not fit their criteria.  I am on Omeprozole it

was once daily for 2 weeks and now 2 a days for 2 weeks.  It is a little better although some days are better and others. My husband keeps telling me not to keep clearing my throat and hacking up mucus but it is very difficult to do.  When I am out I try not to and I do sip water.  I bought some of the sake 8.2 ph water and am going to try that.  I am over weight

so having lost 1/2 stone is good.  I know what you mean about not eating a lot of junk food.  Compared with some I know I am not too bad.  I hardly ever have a take away I dont drink colas etc only tea and water obviously given up the small amount of fruit juice I used to drink. We have drunk skimmed milk for years only wholemeal bread and low olive spread. Fair amout of fruit and veg.  My only real vice was chocolate and crisps.  I had already stopped buying crisps before this and only ate Chocolate at the weekend.  If as they say this condition is epedemic in the USA then unless something is done about processed food which they say is the cause then there will be more and more cases.  I don't honestly think they will do much about processed foods though too much money involved.

Now Iv'e had a rant as well. I know how you feel and it is early days for me as I have not had any tests.  It has had me crying over the last couple of weeks.  I truly hope the omeprazole works for you but from what I have read diet is the way to go but it is quite strict.  Hang on in there and let me know how it goes for you.  Take care.

Carol

• Posted

Many thanks Carol. All this consumes me at the moment. I will try to stay positive. Some days it is easy and some days it is hard. 

Thank you for your kindness. This forum keeps me same as  it is quite a lonely condition. 

X

• Posted

Try montelukast and actifed for 2 to 3 days before bed time to clear the mucus. In mean time to tackle the reflux, drink half tea spoon of baking soda with half glass of cold water once in the day and one more at night. I'm also taking sooktyn (alarsin). 2 tablets in the day after food and 2 at night. Sooktyn has no side effects. Stay away spicy stuffs and eat yogurt. Got rid of the irritating mucus. Try that.

• Posted

An ENT told me the same. He said: Mam, you do know all produce liters of mucus each days, it's just normal. Just try and not clear your throat so much, drink water and suck on lozenges. 

I had a clear sinus scan and he look with a camera through my nasal passage and didn't see anything bad. He still couldn't confirm it's not reflux. 

My ears tend to block too, especially when I'm exercising. 

I'm getting allergy tests soon, but allergy meds are not really helping. 

Any OTC meds that could help me figure out if it's reflux? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.