LPR / Silent Reflux sadness. Do you have blocked ears?

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I have had LPR for two years without much success with PPIs. I do not get the burning but i do get a constant mucus feeling in my throat, some coughing, tightness in back of chest and above all the feeling that my ears are blocked all the time and post-nasal drip. All i want to do is sleep now because it is making me very sad and lonely.

When will this all end?

4 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi elle1234,

I  was also diagnosed with LPR. I take pantoprazol 40 twice a day and finally it really helped. Maybe you need to increased dosage. I also follow diet and it is not that difficult, just say to yourself - I do not eat this, I do not really want it and stick to it. 

I excluded chocolate (I love it), alcohol, peppers, sweets, fat, sodas ( I never used it) , coffee black but I can have not too strong with milk. I eat little bit of onion but cooked only. I eat oat meal with very tiny butter. Do not worry you can use some of "bad" food but in very little quantity. Like I add blue cheese in salad but little bit and I make olive oil with little bit balsamic vinegar for salad but not too much. Crackers are good too. 

Almost no fruits only melon, watermelon and bananas. Check ph of food on Internet. Better official government site because there are many crazy sites where they say that lemon or apple sider is good. Do not believe it. I eat also lots of root veggies steamedand they are tasty! If you get it under control you will be able to add some more food to you diet and see how you can tolerate it. 

I have been on this diet since August 21 and it already works. Plus PPI.

Please try it. I am sure it will work. Don't get desperate because stress cause reflux too.

irina

• Posted

I forgot to tell you that food should be cooked at home. Almost no eating out because you do not know what they put into food at restaurants. Grease, margarine, who knows.lots of pre packed food there with chemicals.  It is a problem not to eat out but you get used to it. After eating out I do not feel too well and do not want it any more. Though if you go out to eat you can eat something very simple like fish on the grill or chicken with rice for instant. You can always find the way to adjust to this diet and when you improve you will eat more different food.

I really improved after taking PPI 40 twice a day. 

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi irina78724, I was wondering if you have resolved your condition and if you no longer have the symptoms based on what you shared on your last message. I have been experiencing the same symptoms for 3months now also having clogged ears. I was diagnosed with Gerd but i think its silent reflux coz i don't have the heartburn. I also believe that diet plays a big role coz i am also avoiding the kinds of food you have mentioned. 
  • Posted

Hi I have been looking for something that helps with the same symptoms... my esophagus actually narrowed....found an link about Fenugreek herb....have taken 3 pills in about a week (nervous to try new things afraid it'll worsen things) so far no nasal drip & sound sleep...lump in throat went away almost immediately....might help...
    • Posted

Tunabug, how do you know your esophagus is narrow? What test hav4e you done?
  • Posted

Hi irina78724, I was wondering if you have resolved your condition and if you no longer have the symptoms based on what you shared on your last message. I have been experiencing the same symptoms for 3months now also having clogged ears. I was diagnosed with Gerd but i think its silent reflux coz i don't have the heartburn. I also believe that diet plays a big role coz i am also avoiding the kinds of food you have mentioned. 
  • Posted

Hi Elle, I feel the same way as you ! I am 23 years old and never thought I would have all these issues. Found out in 2011 I had a ulcer above my stomach in my esophagus. He put me on Omepozol 40mg til it healed. Didn't have too many problems til I had my baby a year ago. I was stressed out with my colic baby I would drink liquor most evenings for a good 2 months. Soon after I got very burpy and I would feel like I was going to throw up. A month later I think I caught a respite virus on top of it and I felt like I could breath or swallow , felt like I was having a allergic reaction but I wasnt. I know what panic attacks were because I've stuggled with them my whole life. It got so bad I had to go to the er one night, thought I was dying. I couldn't eat anything thick for 3 weekd because it would get stuck in my throat and I would choke. I went to my family doctor numerous times telling them my swallowing difficulty and my right ear felt like it had fluid in it. They told me to go back to my gastro doctor and go see a ent. She told me it could be my aniexty so I got put on lexapro, which helped me not think too much about it but didn't help the swallowing. Went to the ent twice told me nothing was wrong with my right ear which I told him it had been itching so bad and felt like fluid was stuck in a gland behind my ear so he put me on 2 antibotics and it didn't help. My gastro doctor said I could have gastritis from the drinking so put me on a stronger dose of omepozol, which hasn't been helping. I'm freaked out because everyday I'm getting heart palpitions when I take a deep breath, wake up and my throat looks and feels swollen, barely can swallow at times because it feels like somethings in my throat and won't go away, it's driving me insane and depressed and my husband is probably annoyed and is tired of the doctors blowing it off. I don't know what more there is to do. They did a barium swallowing test and that came back fine. I guess my next visit with my gastro doctor I will see what his next plans are. Sorry it's so long but this has been going on for six months! I just want answers.
    • Posted

Hi there, was wondering if you're feeling any better? I have the same symptoms and completely understand how you feel. 

• Posted

I have block ears but I keep trying blow out with my force of breath. I close up my nostrils with fingers and blow out until it is gone. It follows by a whistling sound from my ears. The same when you fly. I do have reflux and had endoscopy which they found I have Zline irregular in my throat. I had taken Nexium for my reflux but at night I still have acid comes up and I woke up with a bouts of reflux. I lost weigh due to unable to eat anything. I stop Nexium and start to have Rennie at nigh and I eat little at dinner. I also dont drink much at nigh which helps but as long as I wake up, I feel the sour taste in my mouth. Do not feel lonely, you should go out more if you can which helps your reflux. All the best.
  • Posted

HI Elle and every one else..Are you all still suffeing the same symptoms because I am and it,s driving me mad now...any replies would be appreciated so much..?
  • Posted

Hello everyone,

So glad to have found this as most other threads are very outdated.

I started with blocked ears, more like a strong pressure building up. Prior to all this I had been very stressed and then ill for a week. Since having the ear pressure build up (which I thought was possibly due to a perforated ear drum), I visited my ENT and he told me I had GERD and put me on Dexilant and Mucoslavan (for the mucus).

This made me feel so sick and I suddenly developed a lump in my throat (before I had a tonsil stone). I also wake up most morning with a horrible burn. The lump could be one of many things but I am deliberating between dysphagia and globus. Hoping it's the latter but going to the gastro tomm to double check.

Lots of other information has led me to believe this could be a gluten allergy/intolerance.

I used to undermine and belittle gluten and lactose intolerances as I already suffer from life threating nut and legume allergies.

After reading many success stories, I think I might give it a shot - although it will be very hard at first I'm adamant to cross out everything before going back to pill pumping doctors.

Has anyone else had any luck? Only been suffering for the last month but cannot let it continue as it's driving me nuts!!

• Posted

Hi I'm glad to see u here I agree a lotof these post are old. I went to an ent 2/16 for severe post nasal drip sinus pressure stuffy nose. I was prescribed sinus rinses and nasal spray antihistamine. Felt better. Went back for a follow up in April 2016 with a hoarse voice. Now diagnosed with lpr. I was put on 300 mg of raniditine at night and was told it can take awhile. So I waited and waited cut out acidic foods cut down on smokes and alcohol. I still had allergy symptoms. But under control most days. Went to another follow up in August vocal chords were still inflamed but esophagus was healing. Started taking Prilosec on my own felt it was working better to control acid Today I went to an allergist just to see what might be bothering my nose. Prick test came back all negative! I was shocked I always had nose issues my whole life. I was wondering how u r doing now

• Posted

Hello Elle1234,

I am 23 and am dealing with similar issues...including the blocked ears! They even feel "burny" or "acidy" sometimes. I've always had issues with post-nasal drip as I have allergies as well...but this LPR/GERD just hit me about 3 months ago and it has been a whole new ride. 

I'm concerned I have an ulcer or possibly a hiatal hernia at this point as PPI's don't seem to be touching my symptoms. The hearburn, bloating, coughing, sore throat, itchy/blocked ears can be unbearable. I also have anxiety, so it does not help. sad

Singing used to be one of the few things that made me happy and now this illness has taken that away from me. I get choked up, constantly clearing my throat, and can't even hear properly with my ears blocked and popping.  I would love to hear how you are doing now and if anything has helped you. 

• Posted

I've had most all symptoms indicated here by others including lpr, post nasal drip, bloating, blocked ears, sometimes feels acidity in ears, shortness of breath, lump in the throat etc. and as a result anxiety. I have seen a couple of ENTs. First diagnosed me with Maniere's disease and second said I may have early signs of Maniere's, even though they know that my symptoms other than ear blockage do not include tinnitus or vertigo which are the elements necessary for Maniere's diagnosis. I don't believe I have Maniere's instead my systems are related to my digestive tract. I have an appointment to be seen by another ENT but this time at Mayo Clinic. I hope if anyone knows this problem it will be someone at Mayo. Up until now though what has tremendously helped me is chewing on fennel seeds multiple times a day and surely after meals. Sometimes I take a couple of pinches of fennel seeds two or three times in a row until I feel releif. I must say though it gives temporary relief but relief nonetheless. My digestion improves and my ears open up. Which also helps psychologically and I'm not having anxiety attacks any longer. Over the last few months since taking fennel seeds regularly my shortness of breath bloating, lump in the throat, acidity in ears and other symptoms have improved but again it's all temporary for now. For medication I've been taking 40mg pentaprozol for hope to find a permanent cure for this.

• Posted

Hi samkh! I've actually been doing better in the last month or so. My gastro doc has had me on pantoprazole as well as prescription strength Zantac. I've tried a few things that have helped, like I stopped drinking all cold beverages, except for the occasional almond milk. I drink all my water at room temperature and found my stomach and throat no longer seem to get as irritated. 

I actually also had an upper endoscapy last month to check for ulcers or a hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with a generic "gastritis", saying that my esophagus was inflamed, but I tested negative for H. Pylori. They prescribed me Sucralfate, which coats the lining of your stomach to prevent any further damage from being done. They also brushed and stretched the esophagus during the procedure, which amazingly lead to me having no heartburn for about a week. 

Regarding the ear, I saw an ENT, who tested my ear pressure and hearing and found everything to be fine. He believes all my problems are related to TMJ. I do grind my teeth badly at night and it puts a lot of pressure on my ear canal, leading to feelings of pressure and pain. I'm still trying to learn how to live with TMJ, as it is strongly associated with anxiety. 

My ENT also discovered that my throat pain can be attributed to leftover tonsil tissue from a tonsillectomy I had when I was a child. The leftover tissue is being irritated by non-allergy related irritants (my husband smokes) and heartburn. 

Sorry for the huge response, but overall I've discovered that all my health issues are really a conglomeration of many different things happening at once and working together to make things worse.

It sounds to me like you don't have Maniere's disease. Do you grind your teeth at night when you sleep? I had no idea, but TMJ combined with heartburn can cause all of these symptoms.

BTW*** My ENT told me that the best thing you can do is take pantoprazole at dinner each night and eat within 30 minutes. I was originally instructed to take it first thing in the morning and not to eat within an hour, but since taking it at dinnertime, I've noticed an improvement.

Hope to hear back from you! I wish you the best in your search for good health and I hope the ENT at the Mayo Clinic can provide you with the answers your looking for!

• Posted

Hi trippycusp93, I had my appointment with ENT at Mayo. They did hearing tests and balance testing and finally cleared me from Maniere's disease. ENT put a scope to look at the openings of my eustacian tubes and found no blockage or mass or swelling there but suggested that those tunes are probably not functioning fully and I have eustacian tube dysfunction. Said that all he can do is put tunes in my ears and hope that will do the trick and with the same pressure on both sides of my middle ear my ear fullness problem should get better. If not, there is nothing more he can do.

I still believe my ear problem is connected with LPR and now have another appointment with a GI to discuss options including fundoplication and linx surgeries.

If anyone have any information about those procedures please share.

• Posted

Thank you for your info. Ill try those as my throats is terribly painful esp when swallowing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.